How much different between 2012 and 2013 being more warranty on the 13?

wildwolfproducts

Just wondering how much a person should save if they buy off the lot rather than ordering one? The one on the lot has almost everything we want on the one we would order. Other than Not having the oven, it has full body paint we were going with half paint, It has the 4 point jacks with the electric on the back rather then the 6 point jacks, Also for some reason it does not have the awnig over the outdoor TV? Not sure why it does not have that. AS it comes with that package. It also has the Full Timers package, We were not going to get that also.
I'm waiting to find out what the dealer will charge to do the inspection each year to keep the 5 year part of the warranty good. As if you don't get them to check off on this every year you void the warranty. But sure like the ideal of 2 year and 5 on the other .
Also the price is about the same on both units even though the 2012 has full paint.

Pete

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Pete - I am assuming that you are talking about a Landmark (but ya know what assuming gets ya) but only the new 2013 have the new warranty (2/5 yrs). As for the awning over the outdoor entertainment area, it was only an option to add-on a couple of months ago. We do not have an outdoors entertainment area but did have the dealership add a second electric awning on the living slide and what a difference it makes.

wildwolfproducts

Southhaven RV is who has the unit in stock. Right now its between SouthhavenRV and RV's for less in the other end of the state. LOL One below Memphis the other Knoxville Tn.

Nathan Yes we know that only the 2013 has the extra warranty, That was why were thinking of ordering a unit. Rather then take the one on the lot.
As for the Awning it shows with the Out Door TV its in with the package, thus the reason I asked that question. As that unit should have had it on with the OutDoor Ent. Package.

danemayer

Most dealers are going to try to get as much as they think they can from the buyer. If they think a $10,000 discount off an $80,000 sticker will get you to buy off the lot, they'll tell you that's the price. "Sorry, that's the best we can do and we can't give you that big a discount on a factory order."

There's actually no reason they can't give you the same discount regardless of whether off the lot or factory order. In fact, they don't have any carrying costs on the factory order, so they ought to be able to price it lower. But they're motivated to sell off the lot to keep inventory from getting stale.

The problem for buyers is that we're all amateurs at negotiating for big-ticket items like RVs, Trucks, Cars. We buy one of these once every 5 or 10 years. The dealer sales people are in sales negotiations every day. They're pros.

The good news is that internet info is helping to equalize this skills imbalance. If you get a quote from RVs for Less in Tennessee, or RV Capitol Wholesalers in Elkhart, IN, you'll have a solid bargaining foundation. If your local dealer doesn't want to give you the right price, you can walk away and buy long distance. Being able to walk away is key.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
RVS for Less is who we ordered our unit from and they are the ones who added the extra electric awning. At the RV show in January, there was talk that HL was going to make it standard to have an awning over the entertainment area but it was only talk-not fact. Not sure as to whether the new 2013 units are coming standard or not.

DougAndJudy

RVS for Less is who we ordered our unit from and they are the ones who added the extra electric awning. At the RV show in January, there was talk that HL was going to make it standard to have an awning over the entertainment area but it was only talk-not fact. Not sure as to whether the new 2013 units are coming standard or not.

From what we've seen, the very late 2012s and all the 2013s include the awning when the optional outdoor entertainment is ordered. The option price was adjusted up accordingly, to about $2800 list. The earlier 2012s did not include the awning.

porthole

Retired
Just wondering how much a person should save if they buy off the lot rather than ordering one? The one on the lot has almost everything we want on the one we would order. Other than Not having the oven, it has full body paint we were going with half paint, It has the 4 point jacks with the electric on the back rather then the 6 point jacks, Also for some reason it does not have the awnig over the outdoor TV? Not sure why it does not have that. AS it comes with that package. It also has the Full Timers package, We were not going to get that also.
I'm waiting to find out what the dealer will charge to do the inspection each year to keep the 5 year part of the warranty good. As if you don't get them to check off on this every year you void the warranty. But sure like the ideal of 2 year and 5 on the other .
Also the price is about the same on both units even though the 2012 has full paint.

Pete

Is it a local dealer you want to deal with? Hem and haw on the price and when they need one more thing for you to sign the on the bottom line tell them you want the 5 yearly inspections at no charge.
That would be a nearly cost free bonus for them to throw in.

As to your main question, given the choice I would order what I want.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Dan, got a kick out of your post. We're getting better at the whole negotiation thing. Had two car dealers chase after us trying to sell us two different cars. One of them ran half way across the parking lot to offer us $10,000 off a brand new car. Car dealers probably hate seeing dh and I come in there. I research stuff to death and ask all sorts of questions that they have no answers for. And I'm always willing to walk away without the car. My grandfather always said figure out what they paid for the car and then give them $500 over that for their trouble. Car dealers REALLY hated him, but he always paid in cash. :)

~Alice

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Southhaven RV is who has the unit in stock. Right now its between SouthhavenRV and RV's for less in the other end of the state. LOL One below Memphis the other Knoxville Tn.

Nathan Yes we know that only the 2013 has the extra warranty, That was why were thinking of ordering a unit. Rather then take the one on the lot.
As for the Awning it shows with the Out Door TV its in with the package, thus the reason I asked that question. As that unit should have had it on with the OutDoor Ent. Package.

It must be a late 2012, they started the outdoor entertainment then, and we saw the first one at the Hershey show last September. It was at that show that we all came to the realization that the TV did not work well, and could not be seen well without the addition of an awning....Heartland decided to add it to the outdoor entertainment package with the 2013's....

danemayer

Try paying with cash now and see if they let you off the lot without a visit from DHS.
Car dealers and RV dealers haven't changed. They'll take the cash with no questions asked.

But it reminds me of my first job getting out of school. I thought I'd try selling cars. The sales manager hired me late in the day and since most of the office staff was already gone, told me to fill out the job paperwork the following day. But he put me to work on the sales floor right away. I sold a car to an older guy who said he was going to write a check but had left his checkbook at home. He drove the new car home and I followed in my car. He goes in the house and comes out 10 minutes later with a bag of $20 bills - I think it was $7000. As I'm driving back to the dealership, I'm thinking: if I get in an accident, I know I'll wake up and the money'll be gone. When I got back, and gave the bag of cash to the Sales Manager, I think he realized that he'd dodged a bullet. It's always a good idea to know the name of the guy you're sending out to collect money. He didn't.

wildwolfproducts

That one has the outdoor Tv and the awning was not on it. But did look at a 2012 in Chattanooga Tn Friday. It came with the awning. And Had a build date of Dec I think.
Pete

FordMan1966

I had sold a 1956 Ford Customline Car and Paid cash for my last Montana and the dealer actually did not want Hundred Dollar Bills. He said the Bank questions them when they take that much cash in at one time.

Car dealers and RV dealers haven't changed. They'll take the cash with no questions asked.

But it reminds me of my first job getting out of school. I thought I'd try selling cars. The sales manager hired me late in the day and since most of the office staff was already gone, told me to fill out the job paperwork the following day. But he put me to work on the sales floor right away. I sold a car to an older guy who said he was going to write a check but had left his checkbook at home. He drove the new car home and I followed in my car. He goes in the house and comes out 10 minutes later with a bag of $20 bills - I think it was $7000. As I'm driving back to the dealership, I'm thinking: if I get in an accident, I know I'll wake up and the money'll be gone. When I got back, and gave the bag of cash to the Sales Manager, I think he realized that he'd dodged a bullet. It's always a good idea to know the name of the guy you're sending out to collect money. He didn't.

wildwolfproducts

I had sold a 1956 Ford Customline Car and Paid cash for my last Montana and the dealer actually did not want Hundred Dollar Bills. He said the Bank questions them when they take that much cash in at one time.

Know that feeling, I took cash to a Dealer about 10 years ago. Paid them in 100 dollar bills for the Excavator. He did take it, but also asked why I brought cash. That is when I asked him, would you have made me the same deal if I did not have cash?? LOL His answer was no way but with you paying cash it made him see the price I offered and he took.
These days and times. No way would I try to pay for something costing over $5000. in Cash or even $25,000. Would do like on our last Camper and Lund boat. Took them a certified check. Still paid for it and in one payment. But not wondering what would happen if I had a wreck or something.