A/c Question

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just finished the tent in the vent and still need to put diverters in the ends vents for each duct. A definite improvement so far. I used Styrofoam blocks to raise the vent opening to the level of the ducts and put the tent centered under the fan plenum. This completely closes off the quick cool vent but I feel it's a better overall flow. NOW FOR THE QUESTION!:confused:
What does the high/low switch on the thermostat do? Increase fan speed only or does in also increase cooling capacity? I'm thinking it just increases fan speed/air flow.

K

Ken Washington

Ray,
As far as I know, It just increases the fan speed/air flow.

Ken

v92c

Texan
All I can add to the discussion is "hearsay" so for what it is worth, I hear that using the Low speed will sometimes cause the unit to freeze up.

Which from what I know about AC would indicate insufficient airflow. Because of that I never use my AC on Low and also because I live in South Texas and it is very darn hot. We generally run both units on High.

jpmorgan37

Ray;
I keep mine set on automatic when using A/C or the Heat Pumps and let it go where it wants, which is most times on high. Sometimes, when I just want to run only the fan, I switch it to low. We usually do this at night when it's cool, just to keep the air circulating.

HappyKayakers

We used to always leave our fan set on high/auto. But it seemed like the temps varied way too much that way (first too cold before AC cut off, then too warm before AC kicked back in). So recently, we tried setting the fan to low/on. Seems to result in less temp variation. Had to go back to high when outside temps went over 100 the past 2 days.

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for the replies. So far I've never had a freeze up and I've heard those come most often from a sensor being incorrectly mounted. Mine was checked at the rally and found to be OK. We usually set the A/C on auto and low fan but it's been pretty warm lately and we've been using it on Hi. I tried using it with the fan on all the time but got tired of the constant noise so we're back to auto. At least we get a little quiet time that way. The tent makes a big difference and tomorrow I plan on working on the vents to improve the air flow. I'll post the results. Nite all!

Blessed

At the Rally Dometic recommended that we leave the fan on in hot, humid conditions for better air circulation and more even temperature throughout.

seabee

Hi all got to ask anyone had a problem with the thermostat in the Big Horn,seams to me it kicks off and till you move something it just stays off.I soon will be working on the plinum and vents but in the mountin of Colorado.

Ray LeTourneau

The ducts are done. I took a couple pictures but they're so shiny it's hard to tell what you're looking at so I didn't post them. I took the luminum tape and taped directly from the inside ceiling panel up to the top of the vent and curved it so the airfow was smooth from the duct down thru the vent. The resuts are great. We had 97 degrees outside today and 76 inside. In addition, I can now use the "stoolroom" to pre-cool my beer so as to not put a strain on the fridge.