ATF: Landmark - seven pin trailer cable

dave10a

When making a sharp turn the seven pin cable becomes too tight and will either damage the tailgate or snap the cable. The dealer tells me that this is not a warranty item and it will cost approx. $75.00 to install a longer cable that would allow sharp turns. My question is to Heartland: is this a warranty issue and should Heartland be responsible for me to tow this trailer without fear of damage to the truck or cable. The cable is 6ft long and connects to the trucks 7 pin Ford's factory supplied trailer connector at the bumper. If the cable was slightly longer, this would not be a problem. Keep in mind Heartland claims that 88 degree turn are doable. Unfortunately not with my Landmark being pulled with a Ford F350. Please advise.....

branson4020

Icantre Member
Re: ATF: Landmark - seven pin tailer cable

Most of us install a 7-pin connector in the bed of the truck. I don't see this as Heartland's problem at all.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired

Get your trailer connector installed in the bed of the truck and you should have no problem.

merlinb

Retired

It is intended to be connected to a receptacle inside the bed of your truck. It is a simple modification.

DT_0164.JPG

MTPockets

Dealer installed mine in truck bed.... I seem to recall reading that in the instructions as well. Did the dealer install the hitch? If so, I would place the fault on the dealer.

dave10a

I appreciate everyone's view points on this, but I would like to get Heartland's business position on this matter. I realize I can add another box or extender cables, but I would think they would provide the means that would allow for hook up to a normal truck without the customer spending more money than they already have. After all, all Heartland needs to do is add another foot on an existing cable. To me it is simply bad business policy not to do so.... I think it is more about designing and building equipment that meets normal demand and usage.

GOTTOYS

Sorry Dave, but I totally disagree with you. Why should Heartland foot the bill? It was designed to be used with a plug in the bed and is more than long enough for that application. If you chose to use a plug in another location then you should be prepared to pay for an extension. My cable is too long already, I wouldn't want another foot added to it..JMHO..Don

dave10a

Sorry Dave, but I totally disagree with you. Why should Heartland foot the bill? It was designed to be used with a plug in the bed and is more than long enough for that application. If you chose to use a plug in another location then you should be prepared to pay for an extension. My cable is too long already, I wouldn't want another foot added to it..JMHO..Don

Wellp, where in the literature does it state that and if that is the case why didn't the Heatland dealer who also installed the hitch mention that? If they had of I would have had the connector installed when the hitch was installed by them. Now that I am on the road it is one pain in the a-- to remember that I have disconnect the cable to back into a tight site. I must say this 5th wheel purcase has been nothing but one **** thing after another and always seems to go back to the dealer, Camping World.... I paid them one **** of lot money to have this and other problems that turned out to be surprises after surprise... Anyway, I really Heartland to chime in on this and not hear from other customers....

MTPockets

Following is right out of the Reese 16K - 5th Wheel Hitch Installation Guide.... i would assume other brands would have a similar statement:

" FromReese 16K Hitch Installation Manual:

WARNING:
Connectionfor trailer wiring should be in the side of the truck bed between the driver’s
seatand the wheel well for the back truck axle
Installationof connection rearward of the wheel well may result in user placing body
betweentruck and trailer. WHENEVER POSSIBLE, AVOID PUTTING BODY UNDER TRAILER
ORBETWEEN TRUCK AND TRAILER!
Ifyou need to place any part of your body under trailer or between truck andtrailer:
Alltrailer tires MUST be blocked in front and behind each tire AND
Trailerlanding gear MUST be resting on firm ground AND
Truck MUST be stationary, in park, withemergency brake on!"

dave10a

Following is right out of the Reese 16K - 5th Wheel Hitch Installation Guide.... i would assume other brands would have a similar statement:

" FromReese 16K Hitch Installation Manual:

WARNING:
Connectionfor trailer wiring should be in the side of the truck bed between the driver’s
seatand the wheel well for the back truck axle
Installationof connection rearward of the wheel well may result in user placing body
betweentruck and trailer. WHENEVER POSSIBLE, AVOID PUTTING BODY UNDER TRAILER
ORBETWEEN TRUCK AND TRAILER!
Ifyou need to place any part of your body under trailer or between truck andtrailer:
Alltrailer tires MUST be blocked in front and behind each tire AND
Trailerlanding gear MUST be resting on firm ground AND
Truck MUST be stationary, in park, withemergency brake on!"

Again, I want Heartlands position on this matter. I have a Reese 20K hitch, but no installation manual because Camping World did the install............. Come on folks I only want to hear form Hearland and this being an "Ask the factory forum' I expect them to comment not customers. Unless Heartland will not "belly up to the bar" and hide behind the wall....

MTPockets

With all due respect, as some others have commented, since we know that Camping World installed the hitch, it's a Camping World initiated problem - not Heartland.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

And with all due respect, this is still a public forum where members and owners can "chime in" if they so desire. If that offends you, perhaps you should have called Heartland and vented your displeasure with them directly. Posting it late on a Saturday afternoon will not get an immediate response, if any, from the factory. In the over three years I've been hanging around here, this is the first short umbilical cord complaint I can recall.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Again, I want Heartlands position on this matter. I have a Reese 20K hitch, but no installation manual because Camping World did the install............. Come on folks I only want to hear form Hearland and this being an "Ask the factory forum' I expect them to comment not customers. Unless Heartland will not "belly up to the bar" and hide behind the wall....
As it has been mentioned in previous posts, this is a public forum.
If a question is asked in ATF and it gets answered by forum members, normaly it will not get a reply from the factory.
I think your question has been answered several times.

Peace
Dave

wildwolfproducts

Sounds like you need to be mad at your dealer, As he was the one that did not do there job. Not Heart Land, Also just a guess? But you have never had a camper before? All 5th wheel units have the cable length set where its standard to all units. Way to much cable is bad to get in the way.
For me I would just have the plugin added to the bed of your truck like it should have been when the dealer mounted the factory 5th Wheel in your truck.
Have a great day, Enjoy the fun of owning a great camper. Plus the kicked back life It can give you if you will just chill and try to take it easy.
Warning this is my thoughts not HeartLands, Plus as Forest Gump would say.
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I appreciate everyone's view points on this, but I would like to get Heartland's business position on this matter. I realize I can add another box or extender cables, but I would think they would provide the means that would allow for hook up to a normal truck without the customer spending more money than they already have. After all, all Heartland needs to do is add another foot on an existing cable. To me it is simply bad business policy not to do so.... I think it is more about designing and building equipment that meets normal demand and usage.

I find it strange that your cable is not long enough. Before I installed a plug in my bed, I hooked up to my truck's bumper pin connection point with no problem whatsoever. Don't understand why yours would be too short (and I made plenty of 90 degree turns, both backing and going forward).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Dave, while I agree with the other responders, I used our trucks bumper area connection for a few months before adding the connector to the bed area. I didn't have any issues. My pin is a trail air though so the extended length of the pin may have helped out in my case. Also, it was very rare I had to negotiate a tight turn while backing. Is it only when backing in that you have this happen? Would it be better to disconnect the cable before doing tight back in maneuvers?
As John mentioned, yours is the first situation like this I have ever heard of.

hillsonwheels

Not to throw gasoline on the fire............but............When initially hooked up to our Big Horn, the cable was rubbing on the TV talilgate, which I for sure did not like! The standard cable was long enough. The tailgate rubbing was my call to action to buy a bed mounted 7 pin plug and install in the truck bed. All that is, is a 7 pin extension cord. Scarey part is drilling the holes in the bed. Once done and in use, no worries. And, has been said, be cool and accept forum members advice or or informational input when given and allow the factory time to answer your question.

Dick

dave10a

I would like to apologize for assuming this is an “Landmark-Ask The Factory” thread. I further apologize for posting a trivial question to the factory that some find irrelevant and does not fit their understanding of why the factory does certain things. I certainly ask forgiveness and hope to gain respect from other owners in the future who think I was out of line for asking stupid and trivial questions of the factory representatives.

justme

I would like to apologize for assuming this is an “Landmark-Ask The Factory” thread. I further apologize for posting a trivial question to the factory that some find irrelevant and does not fit their understanding of why the factory does certain things. I certainly ask forgiveness and hope to gain respect from other owners in the future who think I was out of line for asking stupid and trivial questions of the factory representatives.

Dave for what its worth I think you we not out of line and I don't think there is such thing as a stupid question---other than those questions not asked. I to am interested in Heartlands reply because my truck is uesd for hauling grain and other trailers and do not want to install a connector in the bed.