Making up the bed

Hick1

The base of the bed is straight down. When you make up the bed you hit your toes on the base. Also the board under the mattress is made of a pressed board that keeps flaking off.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We put contact paper on the particle board (bed platform) and others have put self-sticking tiles down.
As for making up the bed, I pull the mattress down toward the dresser to put the fitted sheet on, push it back to the head-board and continue with the flat sheet.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Yes - so true, I went the Self Stick Tile way and that is exactly how I make the bed as well - I also never attempt to make the bed with out shoes on my size 13's for "padding" when I do Jam my toes.

bacaye

We have covered the mattress board in our other campers...(not this one yet)...with tarps we have cut to fit. Bill staples it down. It is much easier to move the mattress up and down. I will have to wait until we get the Big Country out of storage but I do not hit my foot on anything. I never have my shoes on when I make the bed so lets say I never feel anything. I keep thinking our mattress is out over the sides a little.

PeternLiane

Yes - so true, I went the Self Stick Tile way and that is exactly how I make the bed as well - I also never attempt to make the bed with out shoes on my size 13's for "padding" when I do Jam my toes.

We put contact paper on the particle board (bed platform) and others have put self-sticking tiles down.
As for making up the bed, I pull the mattress down toward the dresser to put the fitted sheet on, push it back to the head-board and continue with the flat sheet.

I never even thought about putting self sticking tiles down under the mattress. That's why I love this forum. I'm always learning new things.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Bed Linoleum1.jpg Our very first mod and probably one of the best! Makes making the bed so much easier! And no more mattress being frayed because of the particle board!

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We have covered the mattress board in our other campers...(not this one yet)...with tarps we have cut to fit. Bill staples it down. It is much easier to move the mattress up and down. I will have to wait until we get the Big Country out of storage but I do not hit my foot on anything. I never have my shoes on when I make the bed so lets say I never feel anything. I keep thinking our mattress is out over the sides a little.

Bacaye, when you life you mattress, how deep is the storage area underneath? We saw two big countries this weekend and there was maybe two inches. Very disappointing as several other brands/models had much deeper storage spaces. We're wondering if we can life that partition out. Maybe there is more space underneath.

Alice

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Alice - you are correct in that the storage area is only about 2" under the bed. We have had 2 Big Countrys and both the 3250 and our current one has limited storage. I put things like the extra bed sheets and towels, thinly folded, long handles, ect. but it works. The trick is to make them as thin as possible. I also put them in plastic bags. Hope this helps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Besides putting a slick surface on the bed platform, try removing the thin panel under it and look at the slide mechanism layout. It may be possible to cut that panel off on one side and put a plastic tote or two in the space. It will slide on the carpet as the slide extends/retracts if you don't put the cast iron cookware in it. We keep extra bedding and towels under the bed like that. The shallow area is good for storing our cool weather jackets when we don't need them. Some folks have hung baskets in that area, too.

If you do cover the platform with self-stick tiles, be sure to apply a primer/sealer to the wood first. That will help the tiles to stick. Then use some ready made corner molding to trim the tile and wood edge for a smooth, no sliver, surface.

View attachment 18386

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you do cover the platform with self-stick tiles, be sure to apply a primer/sealer to the wood first. That will help the tiles to stick. Then use some ready made corner molding to trim the tile and wood edge for a smooth, no sliver, surface.

View attachment 18386

Cool! We have the tiles, but I hadn't thought about the moulding. Great idea!

JohnDar

The trim I used was from Lowe's, I think. That's where I got the tile. But it's the fake wood stuff. Structural foam with a picture of wood on it. Easy to cut, no slivers, and I used strips of double-sided carpet tape to stick it to the tile.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The trim I used was from Lowe's, I think. That's where I got the tile. But it's the fake wood stuff. Structural foam with a picture of wood on it. Easy to cut, no slivers, and I used strips of double-sided carpet tape to stick it to the tile.

Thanks John. Definitely gives the bed edge that nice finished look. I see another project looming in the near future.

wdk450

I did this mod before this trip, but did it on the cheap. I found the heaviest plastic dropcloth I could (3.5 mil, I think), and already had some 3M spray adhesive. The hardest part was getting the mattress and the topper into the living room and back. I sprayed the wood base with the spray adhesive, carefully put the plastic down, and trimmed the edges. It worked fine when I went to make the bed.

At (Quiet) Black Butte Lake COE Campground, near Orland Ca.

K

karykatz

We are listening- Looking at some ways to make it easier to make the bed.

bacaye

One of the reasons we traded our 3250 TS Big Country for a 3450 TS Big Country. The storage area under the bed is great. I store all the bed clothing, towels, dish towels, etc. under the bed..along with all the pillows in trash bags. It is a king size bed so bed clothing takes a lot of room..especially because I change the bedspread and shams that came with it to the quilted things. When we put it in storage I like to put all those things away..plus what is in the drawers that stays with the camper. I have plenty of room for what I need.

On saturday we did a modified version of what John did. Above the split under the matress we stapled left over vinyl from our kitchen floor re-do. My only concern is will the matress be too mobile when used for sleeping. We addressed the "making the bed" issue it seems. It was enough slip to move it around to add the sheet.

JohnDar

On saturday we did a modified version of what John did. Above the split under the matress we stapled left over vinyl from our kitchen floor re-do. My only concern is will the matress be too mobile when used for sleeping. We addressed the "making the bed" issue it seems. It was enough slip to move it around to add the sheet.

Only if you're into bed time gymnastics :eek: :eek: