Toronto - Prince Edward Island via Canada. Return via Maine, NH, VT, NY - recommendations?

Diveman

Hello folks,

I wonder if anyone has been on a trip from Toronto to Prince Edward Island. I am going to take my family on a 3 - 4 week trip and would love to end up in PEI. I made reservations for July 23 - 30 and other than that I am open to suggestions.

Ideas so far are
Toronto - Montreal (Camp Alouette)
Montreal to Edmundston, NB (Camping Panoramic)
Edmundston to Moncton (Camper's City RV)
Moncton to Cavendish, PE (Marco Polo Land)

The only thing booked so far is the PEI Campground. We are going to do a little touring of Montreal. Edmundston is just a stop over. Moncton will be a 2 -3 day stop to go to Hopewell Rocks and the tidal bore.

I am thinking of taking a route home through Maine, NH, VT & NY. Any suggestions for that leg of the trip?

I have two children (7 and 3). They are used to a maximum of 6 hours driving at a time.

Thanks for any info that you might be able to provide.

Mike

Birchwood

If you are in PEI July 23 to 30 you are on the island at a great time.Actually the last two weeks
in July is the only time I would vacation on the island.Other times you could be in the cool weather.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I would suggest a stop over at Acadia National Park That is about 600km from PEI but is about an 7 hr drive ( according to Google ). From there you could cut across to the White Mountain National forest ( Dolly Copp CG - no hookups but there are many private CG in the area.) , and on your way there if there is interest - the LL Bean Factory is in Freeport Maine. The Drive to the WM FP area is only about 400km There is a lot to do in the Whites - including the Cogg rail car to the top of Mount Washington. I only Wish I had done that kind of a trip when my kids were that young!! Now I have to wait for Grand Kids...

Have Fun!

caissiel

Those date coinsides with Quebec construction vacations. Usualy our busy time but best summer time. Your CGs looks like good choices. Check the tides for the rocks as its a full day of action seeing the water fill the bay. I did the US section also going or coming from ON. Nice advice for the US route. We also have lots of weekenders, weekdays are usualy ok at CGs.

aatauses

We lived in ME for 30 years--you will enjoy Acadia NP--it may be crowded, and if it is, consider going over to Southwest Harbor---same great scenery/ less people/more lobstaaas/great hiking/and whale watching. If you are interested in seeing moose/other local animals consider going to Baxter SP--just N of I 95. --It will not be busy, but be aware that the bugs will be out and they will welcome you. If you are interested in 'tall ships", consider a trip to Rockland where there are always a few scooners docked.
The ride from ME to NH on Rt 2 is an easy one, but may be busy that time of the year.
Let me know what else you may consider about New England and I will try to help you
YOur trip to PEI will be great---quite a bridge to get onto the island!!!
al

noobee

On your way to Moncton, don't miss visiting Quebec City. As a native Montreal-er, I find QC much more interesting than Montreal.
BTW: you can't go wrong with Camping Alouette. If you are going to visit Montreal from there, drive to the Metro Station in Longueuil & use the subway to get around.
If you don't plan any visiting between Montreal & Moncton, you might want to consider going to Moncton via the eastern townships (Sherbrooke, Woburn), across Maine & then back into NB.

Diveman

Heading out today!

Well after all our planning we are leaving on our five week camping trip with the kids. We will be visiting Gananoque (Ivy Lea KOA), Montreal (Camping Alouette), Quebec City (Camping Transit), Edmundston (Camping Panoramic), Moncton (Camper's City), Cavendish (Marco Polo Land), Halifax (Halifax West KOA) and then retracing our trip.

Hope to see some other Heartland trailers on our trip. I will try and update my blog as we travel as wifi allows us. The Thomas Camp Blog.

Enjoy your summer!

Mike