Got a kick in the pants from Dealer

TJfromFL

We had a very bad experience with Forest River and RV Wholesalers in March 2011. The deal fell through at delivery, after waiting 12 weeks for build (in hindsight glad it did) and it took us 6 months before we could attempt to buy another unit. I swore at that point I would only buy locally, which we did in Sept 11, buying a new Nort Trail 31rlss, which we absolutly love. My thoughts were I would get better service and more respect from someone I bought from. The dealer handled a warranty repair for me right after purchase, but when I called today to have some additional warranty work scheduled, I was told they no longer honor Heartland warranty work, even though they will continue to sell them. They said I need to find someone else who will handle "Thor" warranty work. What a kick in the pants. Feels like deja vu all over again. Is there a moral to this story I am unaware of?

Dazed and confused :)

CliffP

What was the dealers name? I'd contact Heartland customer service 877-262-8032 and see what they have to say. What was the first warranty repair and what is the additional warranty work you need to have done? We've been happy with our service so far, I'd be surprised if that changed. Hope you can get things figured out and can enjoy your new camper soon! Moral of the story? I can't come up with one yet.
Good luck,
Cliff

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I am going to chime in with the same thought - Call Heartland and let them know - They can not address issues of poor dealership performance with out calls from people who experience it. Also I would ask for another dealer in your area ( they do not have to sell the north trail ) to perform all of your future service. I would expect that the dealership in question may not be selling Heartland products in the future so getting connected with a new dealer is Key.

Just a few thoughts, Good luck.

Kevin

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm a little surprised by the "Thor warranty" comment. Doesn't Thor hold title to most of the RV manufacturers out there now? They're more a financial holding company than a manufacturer.

JJOren

One of the things you might want to consider is a 2nd call to the dealer. There is something amiss here. Heartland is NOT a THOR product to begin with and anyone that thinks it is knows very little about the RV business. Maybe you were talking the the Janitor pretending that he knew something!!!!!

If the 2nd call is the same story, don't pass go, don't collect $200...just call Heartland in a heartbeat!!!!!

Good Luck

MTPockets

updated: 9/17/2010 12:25:58 PM
[h=1]Thor Industries Buys Heartland RV[/h]InsideINdianaBusiness.com Report
Thor Industries Inc. (NYSE: THO) of Ohio says it has acquired Elkhart-based Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC for more than $200 million in cash and stock. Under terms of the deal, Heartland will remain an independent operation in northern Indiana with its existing management team.

JohnDar

If you go to the Thor Industries website, you'll see they still market Class A's under the Thor name, but hold a bunch of other RV brand names, as well. Heartland being one of them. Whether they all enjoy the autonomy that Heartland does is not known (to me, at least).

Rickhansen

I can't add much more to the comments already made, except that I really can't imagine that Heartland would allow any dealer to sell their product without honoring the warranty. I further can't imagine any consumer buying from them if they're not providing warranty support and service.

Any way you look at it, that scenario isn't sustainable.

JJOren

Thanks for filling me in on the Thor buy out. I had no clue. Let's hope they don't medal in Heartland they way they have in some other brands!!!!!!

JohnDar

Thanks for filling me in on the Thor buy out. I had no clue. Let's hope they don't medal in Heartland they way they have in some other brands!!!!!!

So far, there haven't been any overt signs that they are. But he who holds controlling interest also holds the puppet strings. One nervous twitch (or cost-cutting move) and it could be a whole new show.

TJfromFL

Just to let everyone know Heartland called me first thing this morning and everything is taken care of. Heartland customer service is awesome, take it from someone who has dealt with another major manufacturer.