Surround and Other Audio

tcfake613

Several weeks ago I posted about the surround systems installed in the new Bighorns. We ordered a 3685RL and picked her up in January. I ordered my unit without the factory system. I've been doing some mods since then and recently completed my audio installation. I figured I'd post a couple of pics of what I did in case anyone was interested. Keep in mind I had Heartland run the wiring when the coach was built which obviously made this installation much easier. There were a few problems with the install, but I managed to muddle through. Everything sounds great! I still have a couple things I'm going to do... but I'll get to that as time allows.

IMG_2413.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2411.jpgIMG_2421.jpgIMG_2417.jpgIMG_2425.jpg

Bobby A

Looks good, did you also install surround speakers in the ceiling ?? or did you use the Heartland installed speakers ?? We have the Samsung TV and Samsung receiver/DVD package, I'm very happy with the sound quality. If I wasn't I would of installed the home theatre system in a box, I've always had good luck with those systems, I've installed 2 of them in previous units. Glad you like your Big Horn, you made the right choice going with Heartland, they are a wonderful company.

Bobby A

CliffP

Looks great Tim! If we would have known how poor the factory system was going to be in our North Trail we would have done something similar. We're hoping new speakers makes ours livable for now. Did you do anything to keep things in place while traveling? Anyway, nice work! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
Cliff

jbeletti

Great looking install Tim.

What do you use the mobile head unit for versus the Onkyo receiver? Is the iPad providing any media or is that a charging station for it only? Do you open the cabinet door for the subwoofer when using it? What's the switch above the mobile head unit for?

How did I get all these questions in before Duane did :)

Thanks for sharing Tim and thanks in advance for helping us better understand your system. By sharing this sort of info, you inspire others to do their own thing.

Jim

tcfake613

All great questions!

Bobby A, I had the factory speakers installed in the ceiling. They are currently being used. They are too thin sounding for me, so I will probably replace them with Polk Audio speakers that match the center channel.

Cliff, I actually used small square pieces of velcro on the feet of all equipment. Stuff will move around if you don't do this. I've used this technique many times and it works well.

Jim, The Alpine mobile unit powers the outdoor speakers. I can also route the Alpine to two of the ceiling speakers. The white switch allows me to set the rear surround speakers to output the Alpine or the surround channels from the Onkyo. So when listening to TV sound or a BluRay/DVD, the switch is set to the "B" position. When listening to content from the Alpine in the Living room the switch is set to "A" position. The speakers in the bedroom can then be turned on to listen to content from the Alpine.

The iPad (or any USB device) can be connected to the front of the Alpine (as shown). It can also be plugged into the front of the Onkyo receiver which has a front panel USB port. I can stream movies from the iPad (Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, etc.) directly to an HDMI input on the back of the Onkyo. I also use the iPad, iPhone, kids iPod, etc. to play downloaded music and Pandora. I listen to Pandora a lot.

I tried listening to the sub both with the cabinet open and closed. The sub crossover is set at 100hz so there is not much directional sound. The majority of the bass effect gets through the cabinet. There are a ton of adjustements on the Onkyo to mess with the sound which I have tweaked to my liking. The bass of that little Velodyne sub is amazing... and as you can tell fits nicely into the cabinet.

Question for you folks, should I paint those mounting screws black or leave them silver... or am I being too picky?

Be happy to answer any more questions.

CliffP

Question for you folks, should I paint those mounting screws black or leave them silver... or am I being too picky?

Tim,

You are being far too picky! (I would paint them black)

What other mods have you done to your BH?

Cliff