Upgrade cargo doors with gas prop rods

gmerry1

Has anyone added or upgraded there cargo bay doors with gas loaded prop rods? These would provide assistance in lifting the doors as well as holding them in place when open. These would be particularly useful on the front corgo door on our Elkridge fifth wheel. To be able to do this properly, I believe you would need to know the length of the prop rod needed and the weight of the door. Anyone done this? Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi gmerry1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some answers about the prop rods soon. I think some may have done this already.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! Another North Texan with an ElkRidge! I have thought about adding gas-struts for the cargo doors. We have an older model ER, and our cargo doors are not as thick. so I am not sure if they would attach and hold well. DH has had the wind catch a door and slam it on his head, so this does seem like a good idea, though! Hopefully more will post their mods.

Erika