Playing with the Bighorn

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Finally made it out to the storage yard to check some things on the rig. First off, I wanted to make sure lowering the hitch one level would not cause a clearance problem with the truck rails. No problem, still over 6" clearance. And the Reico-Titan jacks worked like they did when I first put them on.

Next I ran the slides out and inspected inside, under cabinets, etc., for any signs of leakage or mouse droppings. No leaks and minimal mouse droppings. Then I reinstalled the rear stabilizer motor I repaired and it works like it should. I did wrap the casing cover with Rescue Tape where the wires enter it, so I should be sealed from further water intrusion. While reconnecting the wires to the switch, I think I've found the last two wiring holes behind the J-wrap where Mickey and Minnie might be getting in. Didn't have anything with me to fill them, so it'll be a project for next time.

Lastly, I checked tire pressures and topped them off to 110 psi. Lowest after sitting all winter was at 100 psi. Tires and springs still looking good. To keep anyone's panties from getting into a knot, I also removed the lock from the propane cabinet and put the twist knob back on.

Rig's going to the dealer for some routine maintenance next week, the day after we get back from Calumet, and I wanted to get it this much done before I take it to them. BTW, the toilet still had antifreeze in it so my seal replacement last summer must be working.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It's hard work getting things ready for the upcoming camping season but I know ya'll can't wait to head out. We have been out twice already and heading out next weekend.

JohnDar

It's hard work getting things ready for the upcoming camping season but I know ya'll can't wait to head out. We have been out twice already and heading out next weekend.

I've already laid out our "schedule" for being at the rig over the summer. If it works out and the wife don't put the whammy on it, we should get 105 days of use this season. And I do like to tinker with the rig, too.

bowhunt73

That is one way to avoid paying all that money in fuel. I cancelled my annual trip up to the UP this year. I haven't made a lot of reservations yet either. Usually I don't let the fuel prices bother me, but I've been gun shy all winter with the reservations. I just took my unit in for some leftovers from last year before my warranty is up. Enjoy your spot up north. I still have that feeling of snow when I hit Lakeport in early April. We'll see....

BTW....I'm thinking of ordering the Neverfail bushings over the wet bolts. Almost decided. I saw your other post. Later.

Randall

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I've already laid out our "schedule" for being at the rig over the summer. If it works out and the wife don't put the whammy on it, we should get 105 days of use this season. And I do like to tinker with the rig, too.

As warm as a winter as you guys had, you could have left it on site and used it if the cg didn't close. Enjoy the summer. We might be up there in the summer this year to visit my daughter and then on to the UP.

JohnDar

That is one way to avoid paying all that money in fuel. I cancelled my annual trip up to the UP this year. I haven't made a lot of reservations yet either. Usually I don't let the fuel prices bother me, but I've been gun shy all winter with the reservations. I just took my unit in for some leftovers from last year before my warranty is up. Enjoy your spot up north. I still have that feeling of snow when I hit Lakeport in early April. We'll see....

BTW....I'm thinking of ordering the Neverfail bushings over the wet bolts. Almost decided. I saw your other post. Later.

Randall

A seasonal site isn't cheap, but once you're set up, you're not hauling the rig and burning up fuel. There are several Michiganders that stay over the summer and commute like we do. We could even leave the truck at home and use the 4-banger Equinox to commute (but I prefer the truck). For us, it's a 3-hour drive (200 miles), so it's not a big strain.

Much as I get the itch to take it on the road, we're still using it for the primary reason and area we bought it for.