Water Softner

Bob Vaughn

Living in the land of hard water and taking a look inside my pressure regulator I have decided that I need a water softener. I wonder how many Heartlanders use a water softener in addition to water filters? That being said, which brand is recommended for rv use? Plus is every one happy with their choice?

jimtoo

Hi Bob,

We camp a lot in the hill country of Texas,,,, hardest water around. I bought this unit 3 years ago and it works good, easy install, easy to regenerate. I know there are others out there, but this is the one we have and very happy with it.

Jim M

jbeletti

Bob,

I've used the On The Go softener that Jimtoo gave the link for. I liked it. But one year, I forgot to completely drain the water out of it and it froze and blew out the bottom. Oops!

A couple years back, I bought the Travel Soft unit by Fracko. I like it too. One difference in these 2 units is the Travel Soft requires rock salt and the On The Go requires table salt. Table salt is a lot easier to store in the RV :)

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also use the "On The Go" Portabe RV Water Softener that Jimtoo uses. It does the job, but I think I might like the Travel Soft unit that Jim B. has. Only for the reason that you can have a larger capacity of soft water. You might not have to regenerate as often.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Each has it's pros and cons. Thanks Dave for pointing out the capacity difference. I'd also point out that the Travel Soft unit can be regenerated without removing the unit from the RV if you install it inside the storage area and more importantly, without having to try to feed a large amount of rock salt into a small hole in the unit :) Linuxkidd gave me a link to that process. You use a separate (empty) clear filter housing and a short length of hose, push water into it and then into the softener in regen mode (twice).

Jim

boatdoc

We've had one of those type for years and they work well. I just got thru setting one up for a good friend for their 3055. I bought it from someone in Phoenix AZ for $200.00 shipped on Ebay. He has several of them. We think they're a must have down in the SouthWest, one can really tell the diff in the shower. Regen's are a snap.

Bob Vaughn

I finished the softner/filter this morning....It sits under the edge of the rv without being in the way...
IMG_6440.jpg IMG_9678.jpg I used large zip ties to keep every thing together and to keep the softner from falling out if tipped over......