Lift Supports for Bed

CliffP

It's a pain to hold the mattress on our bed up to get to the storage underneath. We'd like to install lift supports under the plywood to hold it up. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Cliff and Mindy

pegmikef

I've done it and posted pictures and the source for the stuff. I'll try to find the thread and put a link up here.

pegmikef

Here's the link to the thread. It has pictures of how I did it and further down is the source I used for the pneumatic hinges and the stuff I used.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...in-North-Trail?p=184440&highlight=#post184440

CliffP

Here's the link to the thread. It has pictures of how I did it and further down is the source I used for the pneumatic hinges and the stuff I used.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...in-North-Trail?p=184440&highlight=#post184440

Great Job! I'm trying to figure out the length of lifts we need. Can you tell me how deep your underbed storage is? Also, do you have the factory mattress? Do the 60 pound lifts seem right for your set up?

Thanks,

Cliff

pegmikef

Great Job! I'm trying to figure out the length of lifts we need. Can you tell me how deep your underbed storage is? Also, do you have the factory mattress? Do the 60 pound lifts seem right for your set up?

Thanks,

Cliff

The depth of the storage area itself is 23 inches to the edge of the outside wall. The lid overhangs the edge by 6 inches and is 29 inches deep. As I said in the other thread, I used the 12 inch lifts which are just right. I played with the opening angle until I got what I liked. The farther back you place the struts increases the amount the lid opens. When you place the lifts you have to place the lift brackets the closed position length from each other. If you look closely at the pictures in the link, you will see the mark I put on the frame for the closed strut end. I then transferred the mark to the lid and placed the angle strut bracket on the lid at that point. Repeated same procedure for other end.

We have the factory mattress, not great as it is only 7 or 8 inches so we added a 3 1/2 inch foam topper. I think the 60 pound struts are the stoutest I would use although I have heard some use the 80 pound ones. DW can open it with one hand and they hold the weight just fine (sometimes including a folding table when rigged for travel). As it is now, you have to be careful and hold it well when closing it to keep it from slamming. Good luck. Mike

PeternLiane

The depth of the storage area itself is 23 inches to the edge of the outside wall. The lid overhangs the edge by 6 inches and is 29 inches deep. As I said in the other thread, I used the 12 inch lifts which are just right. I played with the opening angle until I got what I liked. The farther back you place the struts increases the amount the lid opens. When you place the lifts you have to place the lift brackets the closed position length from each other. If you look closely at the pictures in the link, you will see the mark I put on the frame for the closed strut end. I then transferred the mark to the lid and placed the angle strut bracket on the lid at that point. Repeated same procedure for other end.

We have the factory mattress, not great as it is only 7 or 8 inches so we added a 3 1/2 inch foam topper. I think the 60 pound struts are the stoutest I would use although I have heard some use the 80 pound ones. DW can open it with one hand and they hold the weight just fine (sometimes including a folding table when rigged for travel). As it is now, you have to be careful and hold it well when closing it to keep it from slamming. Good luck. Mike

This is a really nice Mod. It's going to be one that we'll be doing now that I know about it.

pegmikef

This is a really nice Mod. It's going to be one that we'll be doing now that I know about it.

Thanks, I think the whole deal cost less than thirty bucks including shipping from furturesalesrv.com (specific link is in the thread with the pictures I ref'd earlier). You need two struts, two ninety degree brackets and two flat brackets.
Mike

CliffP

Thanks, I think the whole deal cost less than thirty bucks including shipping from furturesalesrv.com (specific link is in the thread with the pictures I ref'd earlier). You need two struts, two ninety degree brackets and two flat brackets.
Mike
I was going to ask what you had to pay for the parts. That really is a great price!

Going by the pictures I thought our bed (different model camper) had a bigger storage area. If not the same it's very close. Sometimes it's hard to judge in pictures. I was thinking the 20" might work better for us, but 12" it is. We're gonna get lift parts coming tonight. I'm also thinking about making up some drawers for under the bed. The lifts wouldn't be as necessary in that case but still needed to easily access the space between the drawers. No such thing as too much storage. Lifts first, lots of plans, can't do them all at once.

Once again, nice work! What other mods have you done Mike?

Cliff

PeternLiane

Showed the Mod to my DW and she loved it. She then said why didn't you order the parts. The parts are now on there way and the MOD will be done soon.

We had the mattress that came from the factory. We did not like that mattress. We tried a Gel memory foam mattress. We really like it and ordered the new mattress. We hope that we get it before or first camping trip in 3 weeks.

pegmikef

Once again, nice work! What other mods have you done Mike?

Cliff

To keep this thread from morphing into another subject, here's a link to another thread that shows/discusses a lot of mods made by others and me to our North Trail/Calibur Trailers. Enjoy.

Mike

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/26202-Modifications-to-our-North-Trail-Caliber-265RLS

CliffP

Showed the Mod to my DW and she loved it. She then said why didn't you order the parts. The parts are now on there way and the MOD will be done soon.

We had the mattress that came from the factory. We did not like that mattress. We tried a Gel memory foam mattress. We really like it and ordered the new mattress. We hope that we get it before or first camping trip in 3 weeks.

Do you know if the mattress you have ordered weighs more than the factory mattress? Did you order the 60 pound struts?

PeternLiane

Do you know if the mattress you have ordered weighs more than the factory mattress? Did you order the 60 pound struts?

The mattress weighs about 75 lbs. I ordered the 60 pound struts. I'm thinking that the 60 pound struts will be good it'll give me 120 pounds of lift. That should be perfect.

CliffP

The mattress weighs about 75 lbs. I ordered the 60 pound struts. I'm thinking that the 60 pound struts will be good it'll give me 120 pounds of lift. That should be perfect.

Haven't had a chance to do this yet. Have you had time yet Peter and Liane?

Cliff

ZNK

This is something I am definitely going to do. Just need to get acquainted with our rig first! Then I am sure we will add our own finishing touches as well. Does anyone recommend a brand?

Zack

Manzan

Futuresalesrv.com is where I got my struts and brackets. Ended up with four flat brackets because they were out of the angle brackets. Works fine with factory matress. Using 60# struts.
Bruce

ZNK

I am curious as to how the struts would work with a flat bracket... seems as though you would need 90 degree brackets?

PeternLiane

I am curious as to how the struts would work with a flat bracket... seems as though you would need 90 degree brackets?

You can get away with the flat brackets but it take just a bit rigging. We bought all of the parts now we're just waiting for the time to do it. That's the only bad thing about not being able to keep the trailer with you. You have to plan every mod.