Price Drop on Garmin Dezl 560LMT GPS

danemayer

SEE POST #9 - THIS IS AN OLDER MODEL - NOT THE ONE I HAVE - MY BAD

Amazon is showing a significant price drop on the Garmin Dezl GPS with lifetime maps and traffic updates. It's down to $235 (from over $400). This is an excellent GPS built for Trucks, RVs, and Cars. I've been using one for almost a year. You create a profile for your RV and it will make sure you are routed away from low-clearance obstacles, and that you stay on roads suitable for your rig. There are many other nice features and it's a bargain at $235.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-In...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004PNVETE

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Re: Price Drop on Garmin Dezl GPS

Been thinking about buying a GPS, I've never used or owned one before.
Is there a monthly fee to use it?

Dan..thanks for the info.

Last edited:

danemayer

No usage fees. No cost for map updates. No cost for traffic, if you use traffic reports. You just buy it and put it in your truck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Ok.... I have the 465T. I purchased it 11/14/09 for $489.94. I liked my Garmin Steet pilot 2610 better. It was not color nor was it 3D. I use my 465t in 2D which I like better. I can't make a profile for an RV so I tried to make a profile for a small Semi that would be bigger than an auto but not as big as my truck and trailer, (which it routes as a Semi with the probihited Semi areas) so it would not route me in the same way as a Semi but that didn't work. It does not have a clearance part of the program.

I don't know what the difference is between the 465T and the 465LMT. Here are some comparisons I found.

465LMT & 465T Feature Comparisons.JPG 465LMT & 465T SPECS.JPG

Here are some of my problems.
In the truck mode it routes me a long way out of the way. In truck mode it routed me about 40 miles out of the way. The route I took was traveled by many Semi's with no problem.

I tried to report some of the routing problems and they referr me to NAVTEQ . I found the Navteq Reporter and have used it a couple of times. Not sure if they have used my comments.

Garmin has used the program Mapsource for years but now it is changing to one called BaseCamp. With Mapsource you can save your waypoints and routes in seperate files. However the new BaseCamp is run as a server program, where it saves all the data in one file and you just use everything in the file, you can not save your work in seperate files. To me that is like writing a letter using Word and all letters are in one file. Not user friendly. They have a forum where many don't like BaseCamp and want Mapsource updated. Their remarks are "Tough if you don't like it go somewhere else", and some are talking about going to a different GPS because of their atittude.

Either the maps are getting so large I had to add a SD memory card so it would load more than the lower 48 states or it is not removing all the old maps. On my computer it does not delete the older maps. It just adds the new ones. I did purchase the lifetime maps for the US and Canada when I purchased the GPS.

A good example of a problem is in Elkhart. When I traveled from RV Capital to Elkhart RV Park the road goes under an railroad underpass then goes a ways an then curves right before getting to the highschool. When I first was finding my way around Elkahart I use the 465t to get back to the RV Park. About 3 blocks before the curve it had me turn right on a residential street for about 2 or 3 blocks then turn left on another street which brought me back onto the same street if I had gone on around the curve.

It also has had me exit the highway drive about a mile or two and then get back on. This was not a traffic problem, because it will help you miss a heavy traffic backup.

I have gotten to the point I will map out my route and if it has me turn off a different direction I will check a printed copy of my route (Pat loves to follow the road on a set of prints I make for her).

Now I do love using a GPS. I have a problem with directions. Give me a map I can find my way. Used one since I was 16. I perfer using the GPS but they are just not accurate enough. They can lead you in a bad direction especially when I am pulling my Bighorn. Heard many stories of people running out on a real back road and becoming stranded and such. You have to be very aware of where you are going when you depend on your GPS.

Well that is my rant... thanks
BC

danemayer

I just tried the link again and it went directly to the 465LMT, but the price has now gone up to $255 and it's directly from Amazon, not from the partner who had it listed at $235 a few hours ago. Maybe they sold out at the low price. But $255 is still pretty good.

The LM in the model name is the designation for Lifetime Map subscription included in the purchase price. If you don't have this, and you ever want an updated map, it'll cost you.

My 465LMT allowed for creation of a specific config for the RV including length, width, height, weight and some other selections best I remember.

The navigation routes it presents are not always what I expect, but have worked out ok except for one choice I decided I didn't want to go along with - although it might have turned out ok. I think I have the options set to take the shortest route and avoid tolls. So it picks truck routes and often stays off the interstates. I could change the options, but in most cases I prefer it this way. In western Montana, it routed us on a direct path through a mountain pass, avoiding the rather long detour that I-90 takes. Things started looking a bit dicey, but the road actually turned out to go all the way through. I've had some issues around Denver where I wanted to take C-470 and it wanted to send me onto Rte 6. Either would have been ok, but I preferred to take C-470.

I usually bring the GPS into the house, connect to the computer, and use MapQuest to locate destinations and vias, saving them as favorites on the GPS. The I use the built-in trip planner function and set up the trip from the saved favorites.

Anyway, it's not perfect, but I like it a lot better than my old Garmin Nuvi 660, which is designed for cars. $235 is a great price. $255 is almost great.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I usually bring the GPS into the house, connect to the computer, and use MapQuest to locate destinations and vias, saving them as favorites on the GPS. The I use the built-in trip planner function and set up the trip from the saved favorites.

Hay Dave.. How do you get the waypoints into the favorites. Thanks for the info about the LM.. I thought they were the same.. I had to purchase my Life Time maps but it only cost me $25.

How do you set up your truck profile for your RV. I set mine up to the correct length, weight and such. I like the idea of setting the GPS to shortest trip and no toll roads.

BC

danemayer

How do you get the waypoints into the favorites.
Garmin and MapQuest.com worked it out. Once you find a location on MapQuest, which is often easier than finding it on the GPS, you use the SEND button on the MapQuest screen and you'll see a Garmin option on the pull-down menu. If your Garmin device is attached to the computer, after you press the Garmin Button, your device name will show up on the next screen. This probably works with many Garmin models besides the DEZL, but I have tried it only on the DEZL.

How do you set up your truck profile for your RV.
I don't remember the steps, but I didn't find it terribly difficult. It was harder for me to figure out how to change from one profile to another. I put a little extra margin in the height parameter. I think my Rushmore spec says it's 12'11" high, but it measures 13'1". I told the Garmin that it's 13'3".

I think they could improve the user interface on the setup screens. I usually have to hunt around to find the setting I want to modify.

Btw, in addition to the usual points of interest lookups, which include Truck Info not found on car GPS models, it also has a pretty good Exit Services feature - works a lot like the Next Exit books. When you're on the Highway, you can look ahead at upcoming exits to see what services are available. Fuel/Food/Lodging can be viewed separately, and you can navigate from one exit to the next pretty easily.

danemayer

I HAVE TO APOLOGIZE. I just checked and I actually have the Garmin dezl 560LMT, not the 465LMT. The 560 is newer and is still close to $400. I had both set in an Amazon price checker app and the 465 hit a price threshold I'd set for a notification. I forgot that I had been tracking price on both models last year.

So my comments have to do with the 560LMT, not the 465LMT.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When hauling my Bighorn I use it along with my TomTom GO930 and my truck's MyGig RER Nav unit. Also use paper maps to be sure.

Wow... How do you figure out which one to follow. Probably the paper maps. The rest is just to keep you guessing..... LOL..

BC

Moose

Wow... How do you figure out which one to follow. Probably the paper maps. The rest is just to keep you guessing..... LOL..

BC

It's not that I don't trust the GPS . . . . . it's that I don't trust the GPS. L0L

And, I'm not very good at backing up so I don't really want to be stuck on a dead end street in a seedy neighbourhood.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Besides the paper maps, which GPS do you like the best? Is the one in the truck as good as the portable ones?

BC

Moose

Besides the paper maps, which GPS do you like the best? Is the one in the truck as good as the portable ones?

BC

I am most comfortable with the Garmin mainly because the maps are updated more frequently and are "free" with the LTM.

Thew truck's built-in MyGig RER is nicer to look at (7" screen and volume controls) and seems to be easier to use. But, map updates are $199 and are usually a year or two old when they do come out.

rick_debbie_gallant

I have the Iphone 4S and am currently using the "MOTION-X GPS DRIVE VERSION 13" It has not let us down yet. you can preload your route just in case you run into a problem of no signal. I can not say enough about it.

RollingHome

I have the DEZL 560 Garmin GPS and... IT DOESN'T WORK, IT IS A TOTAL PIECE of Something... It sends me and my 40' RV on roads which are anything but trucker friendly. It does not do what it claims to do and I would NOT recommend anyone buying it for RVing... JMHO. By the way, I love most other Garmin products... but not this one, Garmin really missed the boat. If anyone doubts me, let's meet so I can set you up for failure :). Other than that, it's a really nice dash ornament.

RollingHome

Dan, yes it does. What I did for a couple of months was set the unit up as a RV or Semi truck. Then I drove around with it in my car "pretending" to be a BIG RIG... I deliberately drove under train under passes which would have destroyed anything over 9 feet high ! I drove down state roads (not highways) which semi trucks use everyday and are approved to do so and my 560 DEZEL audibly sounded every couple of minutes warning me to take another route. When I drove these "other" routes with my car it was obvious NOT a truck route ! I would have violated small bridge restrictions, ripped the side open with branches that needed cutting, etc ! I purchased this unit for use "off the beaten path". Any GPS will route a truck on a limited access hi-way safely - but who needs a GPS to go from exit to exit ? It works fine as a car GPS - but that is not why I purchased it. Just the same Dan, your response is enticing me to try again... I'm not perfect, maybe I did miss something or did something wrong, so for that, thanks for the questioning... I'll let you know in a month or two how I made out.