What were thinking about adding to our order Key Largo 2013

wildwolfproducts

Here's the options were looking at ordering our Key Largo with. Did not add the bigger brakes, Would these be that much better? Was thinking about just adding disk later on.

Thinking Mor Ryde Hitch, But was wondering about the 5th air Born hitch? Would it be better then the Mor Ryde? I have air bags on the truck now.

Were camping in our Truck Camper starting tomorrow, Then it will be cleaned up waxed and put up for sale next week. The day it sells, we will be ordering the New landMark Key Largo.

Pete

Mor Ryde Hitch

Slide Awning's 3
Gen Prep
Half Body Paint
6 pt leveling
OutDoor Int pkg with awning and 32" TV
2x2 fridge 14 W icemaker
32" TV in bedroom
Full Oven stove top IPO stove top only
Electric Fire Place
Dual pane windows
Yeti Extreme package
Quite Whisper Dual AC system with Heat Pump main AC
new remote
Fantastic fan in Bath room.

jbeletti

Hi Pete,

You know your needs best but since you asked, I will weigh in with my own feedback on your options:

First, I don't think Heartland offers the 5th Airborne pinbox, so going with the Mor/Ryde from your list is a great option. If you were not considering getting disc brakes later, I'd tell you to consider getting 8k axles/springs. With those, you get larger brakes, as I understand it.

Now, your list:

LIKE - Mor Ryde Hitch
LIKE - Slide Awning's 3
Note 1 - Gen Prep
LIKE - Half Body Paint
LIKE - 6 pt leveling
LIKE - OutDoor Int pkg with awning and 32" TV
LIKE - 2x2 fridge 14 W icemaker
LIKE - 32" TV in bedroom
Note 2 - Full Oven stove top IPO stove top only
LIKE - Electric Fire Place
LIKE - Dual pane windows
LIKE - Yeti Extreme package
LIKE - Quite Whisper Dual AC system with Heat Pump main AC
LIKE - new remote
Note 3 - Fantastic fan in Bath room.

Note 1: Unless you plan to add an Onan built-in generator, I'd likely skip the GenPrep option. If you plan to use external generator(s), I'd add my own transfer switch and remote 50/30 amp receptacle near the front. Just 1 man's thoughts.

Note 2: The convection oven bakes pretty decent (not perfect). RV ovens are not much fun to light each time you want to use it. I wanted the additional storage space, so I've eliminated the oven in the last several RVs. Again, my own needs, therefore my opinion.

Note 3: Consider having a wall switch installed for this fan instead of a thermostat. It may be unlikely that you'll run this particular fan based on temperature. Rather, you'll likely run it "for cause" (steam / odor removal).

Not noted above, but great idea on asking for the Heat Pump option in the main AC. Love mine!

Carefully consider your entertainment needs as it relates to cabling. I'm not saying that Heartland will run custom cabling for you, but they just might, depending on how busy the plant is. In this current coach, I asked for them to add all the standard antenna, cable TV and satellite wiring they do per normal. Then in addition, I asked for the following:

• Additional satellite cable run from UDC to entertainment cabinet (for DVR)
  • HDMI cable (45' - supplied by me via monoprice.com p/n 3965 - $34) run from entertainment cabinet to outside entertainment TV (for satellite - using 1x2 HDMI splitter from monoprice.com at livingroom DVR - p/n 8154 - $34)
  • HDMI cable (25' - supplied by me via monoprice.com p/n 2109 - $20) run from bedroom satellite prep area on closet shelf, to bedroom TV (for bedroom satellite receiver)
  • Two additional satellite cable runs from roof to UDC (so, 4 in total). I am using 3 of these now: 2 for HD-DVR and 1 for HD receivers

Consider getting the backup camera. The Voyager WiSight works great and can really be an aid for lane changing and backing.

Consider the 1-1/4" receiver hitch on the back of the RV if you plan to haul any bikes. Personally, I feel bikes bounce too much in the back. Others have no issue with that. Harder to add this later if you don't order it up front. That said, you may wish to have a heavier duty 2" receiver hitch. That can only be added after the fact as Heartland does not offer it. Just something to think through if you have not already done so.

Jim

DougAndJudy

Pete,

Having just picked up our 2013 Mesa, I will add my impressions as well.

I agree with Jim about the Gen Prep. Under the evidently mistaken idea that our Grand canyon was gen-prepped, I ordered that for our Mesa. What I found was that the box they put in the front cabinet really cuts up the storage space. So, unless you are actually installing a factory-supplied generator, or one of the other options you are getting requires it (like the Full-Timers package) then I would skip it. If I could do it over, I would not have ordered it in ours.

I also agree with Jim about the oven vs stove top. In the 2 1/2 years we had our Grand Canyon, we never, ever used the oven. The microwave/convection oven suited all needs. And DW likes to bake!

We didn't order the outdoor entertainment center, but that's just personal preference. Jim makes a good point, though, that you don't have a satellite feed to there, just cable/antenna.

We had the standard hitch on our Grand Canyon and it was very satisfactory, so we didn't order an option for this.

Except for the hitch selection and paint, we pretty much have the rest of the options you are thinking about, and, of course, agree totally with them...

DougS

Doug S
Pete,
We ordered our GC gen. prep, but no box in the front compartment so we have more storage. Less money and wires in place to transfer switch. I personally added another shore line to pin box, 2 Honda's in truck bed. This made less work for me.

Also, if we had it to do again, we would have less carpet in the living room front of sofa.

We use the gas oven, not too often, but we use it.

FordMan1966

Glad to see that you have picked up your Mesa. We are using our Grand Canyon for the first time this weekend in Pigeon Forge. I have already put a coat of Polish on the GC.

Pete,

Having just picked up our 2013 Mesa, I will add my impressions as well.

I agree with Jim about the Gen Prep. Under the evidently mistaken idea that our Grand canyon was gen-prepped, I ordered that for our Mesa. What I found was that the box they put in the front cabinet really cuts up the storage space. So, unless you are actually installing a factory-supplied generator, or one of the other options you are getting requires it (like the Full-Timers package) then I would skip it. If I could do it over, I would not have ordered it in ours.

I also agree with Jim about the oven vs stove top. In the 2 1/2 years we had our Grand Canyon, we never, ever used the oven. The microwave/convection oven suited all needs. And DW likes to bake!

We didn't order the outdoor entertainment center, but that's just personal preference. Jim makes a good point, though, that you don't have a satellite feed to there, just cable/antenna.

We had the standard hitch on our Grand Canyon and it was very satisfactory, so we didn't order an option for this.

Except for the hitch selection and paint, we pretty much have the rest of the options you are thinking about, and, of course, agree totally with them...

wdk450

Gang:
I boondocked for a week at Quartzsite in January, and am doing it this week at Black Butte Lake COE campground, near Orland, Ca. I have a Boily 3600 generator, 4 group 24 SLA deep cycle batteries, and a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought a Honda 2000 generator, which is smaller, lighter and quieter than the Boily. It should have sufficient power to recharge the batteries, help heat the hot water, and run the microwave (maybe not all at once). With the Honda if I need to run the air conditioning, I need to be in a park with hookups. I can run the AC with the Boily but will rarely do this, and have discovered that gasoline generated electricity is expensive - 8 hours non- Air Conditioning uses about 4 gallons of gas, about $20. AC will run the gen dry in about 4 hours. With this boondodcking space costing me $16 a night, it would be cheaper to stay in a park. Of course, I have a magnificent lakefront view, there is only 1 other camper here, and next week (when I am 62) the COE charge will only be $8 a night.
I try to just run my gen 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a stretch (to recharge the batteries) and use the inverter system as much as possible to maintain the peace and quiet here.

On the rest of your list, get some advise on suspension upgrades. Lippert sells the Centerpoint system and the NeverFail bushings, and I would think that these could be easily added to your frame build at Lippert, and put into your financed cost.

wildwolfproducts

Hi Pete,

Note 1: Unless you plan to add an Onan built-in generator, I'd likely skip the GenPrep option. If you plan to use external generator(s), I'd add my own transfer switch and remote 50/30 amp receptacle near the front. Just 1 man's thought
My thoughts were we could just use a Honda Gene with the Gen Prep? But sounds like that may not work?
Note 2: The convection oven bakes pretty decent (not perfect). RV ovens are not much fun to light each time you want to use it. I wanted the additional storage space, so I've eliminated the oven in the last several RVs. Again, my own needs, therefore my opinion's.
We do a lot of cooking so both would be used .

Note 3: Consider having a wall switch installed for this fan instead of a thermostat. It may be unlikely that you'll run this particular fan based on temperature. Rather, you'll likely run it "for cause" (steam / odor removal).
Did not even think of a switch on the fan, Was thinking just using the Thermostat to use to keep that end of the camper cooler in the heat when we were out.

Not noted above, but great idea on asking for the Heat Pump option in the main AC. Love mine!

Had the Heat Pump added at the end of the AC above it was figured in with our price of the unit. On the back AC.

Carefully consider your entertainment needs as it relates to cabling. I'm not saying that Heartland will run custom cabling for you, but they just might, depending on how busy the plant is. In this current coach, I asked for them to add all the standard antenna, cable TV and satellite wiring they do per normal. Then in addition, I asked for the following:

• HDMI cable (45' - supplied by me via monoprice.com p/n 3965 - $34) run from entertainment cabinet to outside entertainment TV (for satellite - using 1x2 HDMI splitter from monoprice.com at livingroom DVR - p/n 8154 - $34)
  • HDMI cable (25' - supplied by me via monoprice.com p/n 2109 - $20) run from bedroom satellite prep area on closet shelf, to bedroom TV (for bedroom satellite receiver)
  • Two additional satellite cable runs from roof to UDC (so, 4 in total). I am using 3 of these now: 2 for HD-DVR and 1 for HD receivers
This is a big one, Man glad you pointed this out. Why in the world would they not have the outside TV fixed where it would be used with the Sat? Was told the new units come prewired for Sat hookup on top. Is this only for the bedroom and living TV? But not the outside TV? I have the cables you have listed above so if they will add them. Will sure mail them up there.

Consider getting the backup camera. The Voyager WiSight works great and can really be an aid for lane changing and backing.

Was thinking of adding my own Backup Camera rather then adding the one they offer.

Consider the 1-1/4" receiver hitch on the back of the RV if you plan to haul any bikes. Personally, I feel bikes bounce too much in the back. Others have no issue with that. Harder to add this later if you don't order it up front. That said, you may wish to have a heavier duty 2" receiver hitch. That can only be added after the fact as Heartland does not offer it. Just something to think through if you have not already done so.
Will have one added, But don't want too have to add the Full Timers package to get the 1 1/4" hitch, Will add a 2" just feel safer with 2 bikes hanging off a 2" rather then a 1 1/4"

Also the 5th Airborn hitch is listed on our dealers sheet along with optional Add-ons and deletions sheet. But does show its added at the dealers. Just not sure if its better then the Mor Ryde Hitch?

Jim

Thanks for the ideals and glad I posted this, Just like the extras for the Outside TV would have not thought about those. And sure not any good with Outside standard antenna, cable TV. Now if I can use the sat box from the Inside outside we would be ok with that.

Pete

wildwolfproducts

GenPrep option Could this be used with a Honda Generator?

Or would we be better to just add our own switch and plug in the spot for a generator and plug in the Honda?

jbeletti

GenPrep option Could this be used with a Honda Generator?
Or would we be better to just add our own switch and plug in the spot for a generator and plug in the Honda?

GenPrep option includes:
- Auto Transfer Switch
- Power wiring from the transfer switch to the generator cabinet
- Sheet metal isolation box for the generator
- Steel base/mount for the generator
- Start/Stop Switch / Hour Meter

If you plan to use external portable generators, I'd say only items 1 and 2 above would be of use to you. Some people have ordered the GenPrep option, knowing they would use portable generators. This saved them from buying and installing the transfer switch and running the power feed to the front. Still others have done the same and asked Heartland to NOT install the sheet meal isolation box and generator mount.

So - just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. If I was planning on using external portable generators, here's what I'd do:
- Not order GenPrep
- Purchase and install my own transfer switch (check out Progressive Dynamics)
- Purchase and install the Progressive Industries built-in 50 amp EMS with remote display
- Install a 30 or 50 amp Marinco receptacle in the pinbox area or maybe the front wall area

This all said, I've never done this. But I've seen a lot of different installations by RVers. Each slightly different from the rest.

Best of luck to you on this and I hope my info helps. Others will surely weigh in here and that will give you even more points of view to consider.

Jim

jbeletti

This is a big one, Man glad you pointed this out. Why in the world would they not have the outside TV fixed where it would be used with the Sat? Was told the new units come prewired for Sat hookup on top. Is this only for the bedroom and living TV? But not the outside TV? I have the cables you have listed above so if they will add them. Will sure mail them up there.

Pete,

Contact Heartland in advance on this before you mail anything in. Make sure they have the time to do this. Reference what they did for my Key Largo so they are very clear on what you are asking.

Jim

wildwolfproducts

Pete,

Contact Heartland in advance on this before you mail anything in. Make sure they have the time to do this. Reference what they did for my Key Largo so they are very clear on what you are asking.

Jim

Talked with dealer today, They told me to put it down on paper. They would see if the Company would be able to do it. Again thanks for this info. As I sure want to be able to use the Sat with the outside TV for sure. Have to be able to see UT Vols play plus can't miss out on Purdue when there playing football. Our Nephew is one of there QB's there Rob Henry #15, hes back after tearing up his knee last year right before the first game.. Also will be tail gating there with the camper some also.
Pete

FordMan1966

Now I am a Vol Fan but we don't have much to watch. I live about 1/2 mile from Phil Fulmers big Mansion. I wish he was still the Coach.

Talked with dealer today, They told me to put it down on paper. They would see if the Company would be able to do it. Again thanks for this info. As I sure want to be able to use the Sat with the outside TV for sure. Have to be able to see UT Vols play plus can't miss out on Purdue when there playing football. Our Nephew is one of there QB's there Rob Henry #15, hes back after tearing up his knee last year right before the first game.. Also will be tail gating there with the camper some also.
Pete

wildwolfproducts

Now I am a Vol Fan but we don't have much to watch. I live about 1/2 mile from Phil Fulmers big Mansion. I wish he was still the Coach.

At least he could bring in players, that is what he was good at. Remember the first game he was the coach. And then the string of wins after that.
Its funny lots of teams would have been proud to have had what so many called his bad years. Win all but 2 games and its a bad season. LOL Now if we win 2 games its bad, Fear the Lady Vol's are going the same way. Pat can't hold out much longer, but pray for her each day. Proud to say we got to see a few of there games 2010 and 2011. Would not go back to Nashville to to watch the girls playoff games this year. That place is a crime. But will be going to GA next year for the playoffs.
Ball games is one reason were going ahead and buying the new camper now. Just hate to lay down in a hotel these days.. If they would clean the rooms the way they should it might now be bad. But I have seen rooms we turned around and walked out of and make them show us others. Tired of America People doing a half *** job and hating being there. Or People that are working here illegal and then doing just what they do at home... Nothing.....

MaxOwner

What is the "steel/basemount" for the generator?

We are looking at getting an Onan installed. No prep kit was in the trailer when we bought it. Gonna be expensive..............

jbeletti

What is the "steel/basemount" for the generator?

We are looking at getting an Onan installed. No prep kit was in the trailer when we bought it. Gonna be expensive..............

The generator cabinet is lower than the bottom of the cabinet door. The generator does not mount to the floor. Rather, a steel base is bolted to the cabinet floor and the generator is mounted to that base. The way, the generator sis more easily installed and removed if needed.

MaxOwner

Thanx Jim.

How/who would I contact about getting a fuel tank and base kit ordered from Heartland for a gas install?

The fuel tank around here seems to be un obtainable................

jbeletti

Thanx Jim.

How/who would I contact about getting a fuel tank and base kit ordered from Heartland for a gas install?

The fuel tank around here seems to be un obtainable................

Heartland uses a fuel cell in our Toyhauler lines only. For Landmarks, we provide propane powered generators. As such, we do not have a fuel cell that us specifically designed for that line. That said, perhaps it can be retro-fitted - the risk is yours on that.

I invite you to speak to our Customer Service Department about this. Please phone them at 877-262-8032.

MaxOwner

Thanx Jim.

Looked at a custom made plastic style (forget technical name for stuff....) and was told that they would make me a tank. What I did with it was up to me. They will not call it a fuel tank. Not happy with that answer.....

MaxOwner

One consideration is that a custom moulded tank won't have a Department of Transportation rating. And the installer won't install it into the trailer without one.

Plus I'm not willing to fool around with something that could potentially blow up without me being "stupid"