DuraMax fuel filter

We have a 2001 DuraMax. On a trip a few years ago we found that it is not prudent to go too much past the 15,000 miles they recommend for changing the fuel filter. I have it done regularly now.

I also found out that it is not cheap to have the dealers change them. I can get the filter for under $40, but the dealer just charged me $85 to have it installed. They said something about "bleeding the fuel line." It took them 15 minutes and I'm sure I can do the work if I knew what this "bleeding" issue was. If someone can tell me how to change the filter, safely, I would sure be grateful.

David

Pulltab

I copied this from a post quite a while back off the Diesel forum pertaining to changing fuel filter on the duramax:

"Fuel filter mount has a hand plunger for priming and getting the air out. I use a short handle screwdriver to crack open the vent. Mine is black colored and made for a straight blade/flat blade screwdriver. Just open it up a turn or two and depress the plunger until you get a bit of diesel around the vent you just opened. Close the vent with the screwdriver, and fire it up checking for leaks. Be careful when you lossen or tighten the water drain on the bottom of the filter...very fragile."

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
David if you go to the forum at www.dieselplace.com ,then go to the section Do it Yourself & Useful Articles. The first thread has the step by step instructions with pictures. It is a very well done article and makes it quite easy for the first time, print it to make handy till you have it down pat. I can now change mine out in about 15 minutes if I have the tools ready. I get my filters from www.kennedydiesel.com , if you buy 6 at a time they cost $25.00 each no shipping, you know your going to need them. Ken

C

Chulinw

I did the fuel filter change yersterday. Just like the other post it is very easy and you save money. Do what KatKen told you and you can not go wrong. Just take your time doing it the first time and you will see just how simple this job is.

ChopperBill

Just a tip. I alway carry a filter in the truck and rotate it when I change. Before I store the new one I use a few dabs of weather strip adhesive on the filter to hold the big oring in place and that way I can be assured it isn't going to fall off during the install. Never know if you are going to have to do it on the road.

ct0218

I have replaced mine on the side of the road several times in a day after getting a bad tank of fuel. Be careful with the bleed screw on top of the filter housing. If you take it out (no need to) or somehow screw it up it is NOT a replaceable item from GM or anyone else that I know of. It is part of the filter housing and it is extremely expensive. You should carry a minimum of 2 spare filters with you at all times. I only got 15 or so miles between a couple of the filter changes!

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

David
It is easy to change but I did not read anyone telling you to get a strap type oil filter wrench. It makes it alot easier to get the filter off. Also remember to diconnect the wire from the bottom of the filter prior to unscrewing the filter. It is a quick connection and mine is a pain to get to.

ChopperBill

Heard of a few folks that take out the inner fender well to change it. Say it doesn't take that much longer and is much easier to handle. May look into that on a lazy afternoon.

Guys, Last night I changed my fuel filter on my 04 d-max and overtightened the bleed screw on filter housing. And of course it broke.. We found that the caps off of a motorcycle battery (screw on caps) fit perfectly. Will order Stainless one but this fix works for now.. Hope it helps!!!!
progress.gif

jimtoo

Hi hogheadcheez10, Clay

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

The thread you replied to is pretty old, but that is OK, you posted something that is new to the thread and will probably help someone,,, like me...I do have the o4 dmax and will keep this in mind. Hopefully I will not need it, but you never know.

Thanks for the info... enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Guys, Last night I changed my fuel filter on my 04 d-max and overtightened the bleed screw on filter housing. And of course it broke.. We found that the caps off of a motorcycle battery (screw on caps) fit perfectly. Will order Stainless one but this fix works for now.. Hope it helps!!!!
progress.gif
Now that's what I call being innovative.:D

porthole

Retired
The stainless bleed screw is the one thing I don't think Kennedy Diesel carries.

KD does have an aluminum wrench that fits the water sensor. I have one, cut it down in length and keep the wrench, a filter, 1 gallon zip lock bag and a rag or two in a large plastic coffee can. Keep all this in the tool box.

The bag makes a good backup when you spinning it off and then I just drop it on the coffee can.

mcbubba

Get a Purepower cleanable lifetime filter and be done with the cost of replacements. Also, go to Ebay and they sell cutout kits for your inner fenderwells and aluminum replacement bleed screws, under Duramax parts.

NewCyclone

AMSOIL sells Donaldson and WIX Fuel filters that work great in our trucks and I change mine every other oil change. I agree, keep an extra in your toolbox just in case you get some bad fuel.

mcbubba

Duramax filters

I see this post from members from time to time. If you are going to keep your truck for a while go to www.gopurepower.com for imfo on lifetime fuel, oil, and trans. filters. I made the switch on my 2007.5 and have already paid for the initial cost! You can also find fuel filter sending wrenches, anodized aluminum bleeder screws, and inner fender removable panels for access on e-bay. Hope this helps.:cool:

porthole

Retired
I see this post from members from time to time. If you are going to keep your truck for a while go to www.gopurepower.com for imfo on lifetime fuel, oil, and trans. filters. I made the switch on my 2007.5 and have already paid for the initial cost! You can also find fuel filter sending wrenches, anodized aluminum bleeder screws, and inner fender removable panels for access on e-bay. Hope this helps.:cool:

I see all kinds of info on that website EXCEPT how to clean the filter.

Am I missing something here?