GFCI on Key Largo

mikeandconnie

Hi,

We are looking for the GFCI reset plug for the Kitchen. I have found the Bath Room but can't find the Kitchen. Does any one know where it is?
The ac on the Fridge, outside TV, and the Kitchen plugs all went out last night.

Thanks,
Mike

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Did you check the GFCI in the bathroom? I'm pretty sure that's the only one I have inside the trailer.

mikeandconnie

Yes, the bathroom is ok. The central vacuum is out , so I'm thinking it's in the Basement the plug behind the wall. I will pull it tomorrow.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Have you checked the circuit breakers on the 50amp box you're plugged into? It almost sounds like you've lost one of the two legs of power you have coming into the rig. Could also be a bad breaker in the campground box. You would need to test it with a circuit tester (or hace the campground test it). I have seen these go bad on a couple of occasions. Half the circuits in the RV would work and the other half wouldn't then.

danemayer

If you have the Generator Prep option, that's another location where you could lose one leg of the incoming power.

mikeandconnie

Thanks everyone,
It was a leg pulled away from the breaker. Every thing working good. Well, Except the fuse on the TV's.

I'm sure it's the cheap splitter and cable ends. This is the same problem I had day 1 with my 2009 Landmark.

jbeletti

Thanks everyone,
It was a leg pulled away from the breaker. Every thing working good. Well, Except the fuse on the TV's.

I'm sure it's the cheap splitter and cable ends. This is the same problem I had day 1 with my 2009 Landmark.

Mike and Connie,

Happy to hear you have power again. Where was the leg pulled away? In the RV breaker panel or the campground pedestal?

I'm not aware of a fuse on the TV sets. If you know more about them, please elaborate as that may help others down the road.

The splitter and connectors Heartland uses are decent. It's consistent quality in the way the cable ends are prepped is where I've found fault in the past. Since you plan to work them over, you can do a quick check of each connector as follows:

1. Tug on it slightly. If crimped properly, it should not budge at all
  2. Look at the center conductor, it should be flush with the top of the connector. Too long and it can cause an issue inside the F81 splice or female receptacle it mates with. Too short and it may not make the connection when mated
  3. Look down inside the connector, there should be no foil or braid hairs visible with the exception of possibly seeing the foil at the perimeter

I can't say with absolute certainty where all the connectors are, but here's a list of those I know and it will give you a pretty good sense of what you're in for, should you plan to inspect or even replace any:

• Entertainment Cabinet:
    - Each end of any supplied coax jumpers from the wall plate to the TV and jumpers from one wall plate to another
    - Behind each wall plate, each connector that connects to the back of each
  • Under the Entertainment Slide: Look for a metal electrical junction box mounted on the frame, where the AC wiring from the slide connects to. Then remove 4 or 5 screws/washers from the underbelly (coruplast) in each direction from that box. Near the box, pull the coruplast down and reach in to locate the coax cables and carefully pull them out enough to expose the splices in them. You'll likely find 2 coax cables there. Unscrew each connector off each F81 splice, one at a time and inspect/replace (if needed/desired). When done, snug the connectors up with 2 7/16" wrenches, push the coax back in and replace the screws/washers into the coruplast
  • In/Behind the UDC: One of the coax cables (satellite) you inspected in the bullet above, comes back to one of the wall plates in the UDC. The other cable from the bullet above usually goes to a splitter behind the utility/bulkhead wall. Two coaxes come from the roof to wall plates in the UDC. A satellite line from the bedroom comes back to the UDC. A cable TV input comes from the antenna wall plate in the bedroom, back to the UDC. So that's at least 6 coaxes terminating in the UDC. Remove each wall plate, pull each forward several inches and one at a time, remove, inspect/replace each connector as needed/desired
  • On the utility/bulkhead wall in the storage compartment nearer to the door side, there will be a wall plate with a TV jack on it for an outdoor TV (if desired). Pull that wall plate off to inspect/replace the connector on that cable as needed/desired
  • Behind the utility/bulkhead wall I believe (though I have not looked for mine), there is a 2-way splitter. This splitter, splits the ant/cable feed coming from the back of the antenna wall plate in the bedroom. One leg feeds the storage compartment TV outlet and the other leg usually feeds the livingroom TV. Remove, inspect/replace each of 3 connectors on that splitter as needed/desired
  • In the Bedroom: There are 2 areas to inspect. First, above the TV, there should be at least 1 coax. Possibly to the back of a wall plate or possibly coming out a hole in the center of the wall plate. In either case, remove, inspect/replace each connector as needed/desired in that area, including a jumper, if used. Now, in the bedroom closet, up on the upper shelf, to the right, is the Antenna wall plate and likely, at least another wall plate for satellite input and another plate for Antenna output to the bedroom TV set. Same drill as above on all wall plates/connectors. Finally, remove the antenna wall plate and tackle it. There are 2 power connectors on the back of it (positive and negative 12 VDC). I suggest you remove the positive (innermost conector) lead first and wrap it with some electrical tape. Or stock up on fuses :) Then one at a time, remove, inspect/replace each of 3 connectors on the back of that wall plate splitter as needed/desired

Whew! That's a lot of fittings to inspect, if you're inclined to do so or if you are having issues.

DougAndJudy

To add to what Jim mentioned above:

I found connectors in the cavity where the antenna raise/rotate mechanism is. You have to remove the crank handle and rotating plate to access it. The connectors join the antenna feed to the main body coax. Check the connectors as Jim suggested.

mikeandconnie

Hi Jim,
We love our new Key Largo, sorry for the lack of info. The leg pulled away at the campground pedestal not the RV breaker.
The main TV is fussy and works good when you run the outside cable directly to the TV.. So, it's ok for now like this.
We are going camping in 2 weeks to check every thing out and will drop her off for repairs on the way home. I have a broken shoulder so with one good arm I'm limited to simple repairs.

Glad you got that resolved. Hope the TV issue gets "put to bed" quickly.