Frig drain tube

1231ChaseB

Hi Everyone ! I'm sure this has been hashed over plenty of time's ! The plastic drain tube from the back of the frig is extremely brittle ! You touch it and it breaks off a piece ! Where in the heck does a person buy some of this stuff or something like it and has anyone ever changed it without taking out the frig ?
Thanks
chaseb

danemayer

If you have a Dometic RM1350, the parts manual shows a drain hose and a plug for the end of the drain hose. You can probably get them by calling Dometic. I have no idea as to how to change it, but if it's brittle only near the end that hangs out of the vent, perhaps you can get a similar piece of hose at Home Depot or Lowes and splice in a piece.

2932115013 A Discharge Pipe, Plug

2932749100 A Drain Hose

DougAndJudy

Hi Everyone ! I'm sure this has been hashed over plenty of time's ! The plastic drain tube from the back of the frig is extremely brittle ! You touch it and it breaks off a piece ! Where in the heck does a person buy some of this stuff or something like it and has anyone ever changed it without taking out the frig ?
Thanks
chaseb

On our Dometic RM1350, I changed out the hose without removing the fridge. I did turn it off and let the back cool for a few hours. And it took some awkward hand movements to get back to where the hose was. I did it by reaching down from the top vent opening.

I bought about 4 feet of 1/2" clear vinyl hose from Home Depot. It's cheap and durable, and the plug fits in it just right. Try to get a length that does not have too much curl to it for an easier job. Use a cable tie to hold it to the refrigerator.

Good luck!

MTPockets

I hadn't thought about that hose getting brittle... I havn't looked close, but would it be a problem drilling a small hole, splicing a longer hose and fishing it through and down under and let the hose drain underneath onto the ground?

boatdoc

I hadn't thought about that hose getting brittle... I havn't looked close, but would it be a problem drilling a small hole, splicing a longer hose and fishing it through and down under and let the hose drain underneath onto the ground?

That's my thought

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

You don't have to think about it getting brittle, it'll do it all by itself. And fairly quickly, too. Trying to splice something onto the end of it might not be possible if it's already gotten brittle. Even if you are successful, it can still fail later on when it does dry out. It's very thin wall, cheap plastic, and the segmentation of it doesn't help.

I think someone posted a while back that he could pull the drip tray out of the refer and feed new hose through the hole, connect it to the outlet on the tray and then reinstall the tray. It might have required using something (caulking?) to reseal around the drain outlet before putting the tray back in position.

I know my drain tube is on it's last legs, so I'll have to explore how to replace it this season. Mine is a DM2862 in a slide.

57chevyconvt

John, I agree that trying to splice a piece of hose onto the existing brittle corrugated hose is hopeless, 'been there and done that'. If the refrigerator is in a slide, the drain line can be accessed through the top vent panel. Jimtoo was the one that posted the idea of feeding a new hose through from the inside. Might send him a PM for details. If the refer is not in a slide, then the refer will have to be removed to install a new hose. As Doug noted above the hose is available at Lowe's or Home Depot in clear or black 1/2 O.D. vinyl. You might need a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the end of the hose to get it to slip
on the drain fitting.

Wharton

There was a recall(replacement) on this in the last few years. I posted the details on the forum. I don't have the details any longer.

traveler44

I have heard that you can pull the drip tray out and run new tubing through from the inside. I pulled the fridge out on the Bighorn and ran the 1/2 clear plastic-- rubbery looking-- tubing. I had done this on my former old pull trailer also. When I ran the new tube out the vent I drilled a hole towards the bottom of the vent panel and ran it out that way. This way I could fasten a screen over the vent openings to keep bugs out. They make a screen set up that fits these vent openings and they come with plastic ties. I threw the plastic ties away and fastened mine on with solid strand insulated wire, home made heavy duty twist ties.

JohnDar

Last summer, I looked around behind the fridge from the vents and I think I can reach the drain tube from the top vent opening. Problem I have is being able to get the right lens of my trifocals lined up to see what I'm doing. Maybe I'll have a go at it before we haul the rig up for the summer.

noobee

I think someone posted a while back that he could pull the drip tray out of the refer and feed new hose through the hole, connect it to the outlet on the tray and then reinstall the tray. It might have required using something (caulking?) to reseal around the drain outlet before putting the tray back in position.

I know my drain tube is on it's last legs, so I'll have to explore how to replace it this season. Mine is a DM2862 in a slide.

I also have a DM2862 & need to replace the KRAPPY tubing. Did it work for you by feeding the replacement hose via the drain hole on the inside of the fridge?

Thanks

caissiel

I replaced mine with a clear hose from plumbino supply.
Used an elbow to prevent kinking the hose.
Wife held the tray in plce while I pushed the hose in
Reached in from the top vent. My fridge is in the slide. Other loccation might be harder to reach.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

I also have a DM2862 & need to replace the KRAPPY tubing. Did it work for you by feeding the replacement hose via the drain hole on the inside of the fridge?

Thanks

I haven't had much chance to work on the rig, still in storage. Between cold & wet and cold & windy weather, along with now working shifts at the FD, time has been at a premium. Some of my "projects" may have to wait until we actually haul the BH north for the summer.