Changing out Oven to Amana

robnmo

We've got the 16" Magic Chef in our Cyclone, the oven is just really small, has anyone changed out their 16" to the 22" Amana? I know some modification to cabinet or drawer under the oven will be necessary, but other than height other measurements for the counter cutout seem to be the same. Looking for suggestions or anyone that's switched the ovens.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If I were to do it, I would get the newer version of the maytag or whatever brand it is that has the sealed top burners. We're really tired of taking everythin apart for a good cleaning. I'll bet there's a better flame too.
I guess to answer your question though, as long as your comfortable modifying the opening, it should work just fine. There are no mounting holes other than up top.

Coyote

We're getting ready to do the same thing. You can get the 22'' Oven in the same size except for the height so it makes for an easier installation. It is around $400 plus $66 for shipping from a number of places online. That is a Magic Chef in black. White was discontinued but I've found a new one in white on ebay. If you stay with Magic Chef it should be an easier installation but even if you change brands it shouldn't be too hard just double check the outside dimensions. Good Luck.

sdrubrecht

We put the 22" size in ours. Forget the brand, but is is the sealed top that Ray mentioned, very easy to clean. Fit the counter top and width no problem. Had to cut down the 2 stiles that frame the lower drawer and move down the rail that seperates the drawer from the oven. The drawer box was ok but the drawer face had to be cut down. I just ripped it and put the cut side on the bottom the relocated the pull to the new middle. Everything screws apart and together. I have a Kreg kit that makes those long sloping holes the cabinets are screwed together with. You can get one at Home Depot of Woodcraft. The starter unit is only about $30. Whole job took about 2 hours. Trailer is in storage. I'll update with picture and brand soon.

robnmo

We put the 22" size in ours. Forget the brand, but is is the sealed top that Ray mentioned, very easy to clean. Fit the counter top and width no problem. Had to cut down the 2 stiles that frame the lower drawer and move down the rail that seperates the drawer from the oven. The drawer box was ok but the drawer face had to be cut down. I just ripped it and put the cut side on the bottom the relocated the pull to the new middle. Everything screws apart and together. I have a Kreg kit that makes those long sloping holes the cabinets are screwed together with. You can get one at Home Depot of Woodcraft. The starter unit is only about $30. Whole job took about 2 hours. Trailer is in storage. I'll update with picture and brand soon.

Appreciate the info, I would definitely be interested in the brand of oven you and Ray are talking about.

sdrubrecht

It is an Amana, we bought it at camping world. Sealed top and black glass front. Its a breeze to clean and cooks very well. Did a small turkey on thanksgiving, cooks brownies and cakes without burning. Highly reccomend it.

Attachments

• clone oven 003e.jpg
    clone oven 003e.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 65

robnmo

It is an Amana, we bought it at camping world. Sealed top and black glass front. Its a breeze to clean and cooks very well. Did a small turkey on thanksgiving, cooks brownies and cakes without burning. Highly reccomend it.

That would be the one we looked at in Camping World in Katy, TX yesterday and been searching ebay. Got the cutout spec's, etc from the sales person, gonna be a project very very soon, and even sooner if the wife has any say in it. :) Thanks again for the info.

Ray LeTourneau

Steve or Sheri, does the new Amana by any chance have an igniter for the oven or do you still have to get down on the floor to light the pilot/oven? Please tell me it has an igniter...:confused:

sdrubrecht

Ray, I cant tell you about the new oven. The one we used was 6 years old. It was in our previous trailer and we liked it so much we swapped them before we sold it. Our 6 year old model doesnt have an oven igniter. Wish it did. maybe Rob or Mona can answer about the latest model.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
OK - think about this combination: Gas, small sealed oven space, leak, ignitor. What's wrong with this picture?

Ray LeTourneau

OK - think about this combination: Gas, small sealed oven space, leak, ignitor. What's wrong with this picture?
I can't think of how it would be any different than the igniter for the burners. I suppose with the burners, we might be able to smell LP prior to clicking the igniter but even with the oven, we open the door to remove cookie sheets etc before lighting so if there were an internal leak, we would notice.
Another similar situation is the gas/lp oven in residential use. What would be the difference?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I can't think of how it would be any different than the igniter for the burners. I suppose with the burners, we might be able to smell LP prior to clicking the igniter but even with the oven, we open the door to remove cookie sheets etc before lighting so if there were an internal leak, we would notice.
Another similar situation is the gas/lp oven in residential use. What would be the difference?
Ray - The stove top burners are in a much more open space where any leaking propane would be more dissapated AND should be detected by the propane detector in the trailer - not true for propane trapped in the oven where it would just continue to concentrate. If you open the oven to remove anything stored in there, that would be great, however not everyone stores things in the oven.

In residential ovens, they typically use a pilot light that will tend to burn off leaking gas as it comes out (unless very new ovens have something different in them - wouldn't know for sure, we have gas stovetop but electric oven in our house).

robnmo

Ray

I think the 22" are same ignition as the 16" only difference is oven size everything else is same, not 100% on that but pretty sure. As for ignition in LP household ovens, the new ones (talking several years back to now) are not pilot, but glow plug, there is no constant flame, so I agree with you would be nice if same glow plug ignition would be on the RV ovens. I too don't see any difference between household oven and RV oven, same principle, same fuel source, maybe it's an electric issue with the glow plug, not sure.

Ray LeTourneau

I really never gave any thought to the type of ignition in an LP or Natural Gas oven. We had one in our prior sticks & vinyl (no bricks) but I really think it was electronically ignited. No pilot. Our LP dryer had a glow plug. I know, cause I replaced it once and broke the new element. Maybe the oven was similar.

robnmo

I really never gave any thought to the type of ignition in an LP or Natural Gas oven. We had one in our prior sticks & vinyl (no bricks) but I really think it was electronically ignited. No pilot. Our LP dryer had a glow plug. I know, cause I replaced it once and broke the new element. Maybe the oven was similar.

Yep the days of a pilot lighting system is pretty much out dated the glow plug's or electronic ignition (flame on demand) are the energy efficient (go green) appliance. Sorry I can't give you a definite on the 22" Amana oven ignition but for some reason I think it's same lighting system as the 16" (hands and knee's with a long lighter). What's amazing is alot of the Heartland brands have the 16" ovens, the person at camping world said they change them out constantly for the 22", and several of the SOB RV's we looked at have the 22". We love our Cyclone and support Heartland, might be something they want to take a look at to keep in the RV race. Personal opinion only of course. :)