2011 Edge M18 - Best option to maintain battery over the winter

dq72

Does anyone know if the converter that comes stock with the Edge M18 is an 'intelligent' unit? Basically, does it do a good job of charging the battery, recognizing when its full and drop down to a trickle charge, (like the 3 stage battery charges)?

I'm wondering how I should maintain my battery while it's parked for long periods.

Should I simply plug it into shore power, or should I save wear and tear on the converter and simply plug a battery charger to the battery. ( I do have a smart charger, which includes a plug adapter that I can leave hooked up to the battery), so I wouldn't have to remove the battery cover and disconnect, simply plug my charger into the adapter which is left connected to the battery).

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Darrell

Willym

I wouldn't do either. Before we wintered in the south, I would charge the battery fully before storage and then disconnect it. I also cleaned the top of the battery to avoid leakage losses. A battery in good shape will hold charge over the winter. In the spring just give it a charge before you use the rig. Overcharging is a common pitfall and results in reduced battery life.

pegmikef

I don't know. I leave my North Trail plugged into shore power when not traveling and have never had a problem. I did the same thing with my Edge M21 and it worked fine. I periodically check the water, but rarely have to add any. I know that the converter charger has three levels dependent on how low your battery is and I think the lowest level is more like a trickle charge that just keeps it even with what the demons (smoke detectors, etc.) use. I Since I rarely have to add water that tells me that it is not being boiled out by overcharging.

sandman

Its called the( Battery Tender Plus) and works really good. It keeps your battery charged without over charging your battery.