A/C generator

Rick.

Was wondering what size of inverter generator is required to run the 1100 btu a/c in my mpg trailer?

jimtoo

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Not sure, but most likely a 3000w is going to be needed. I'm sure some of our other family members will jump on and let us know for sure.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Was wondering what size of inverter generator is required to run the 1100 btu a/c in my mpg trailer?

Do you mean 11,000 btu? Our 15k btu a/c needs 14.4 amps so we run 2- honda 2000 inv. gens. each supplies 13.3 amps

You might do an internet search to see how many amps your a/c needs to start up or you can take the cover off the unit and and look on the info. plate that has serial number model number and other info such as amperage. I would think if your A/C is 11k btu you should get by with one 2000 model of whatever brand you choose. The Honda 2000 companion i has the 30amp and 20 amp plugs. Around $1000.00 or you can go with a chinese knock off like the champion 2000 inverter (made by kippor) that sells at Costco and sometimes Sams Club for $499.00.

Sumo

A 2000 watt Yamaha or Honda generator should be fine for 11,000 BTU A/C.
I had a 3000 watt Kipor, thought I got a good price, until I had to buy a Yamaha.
The Kipor had a difficult time running my 13,500 BTU A/C.
Just my experience with the china copy. Yours and others maybe different.

pegmikef

You can buy a watt/amp meter at Home Depot or other big box stores that you can hook up to your shore power line and you can measure the amperage or watts drawn by each appliance by selectively turning them on and off. My North Trail draws about 1 amp with nothing turned on which I think is used by the converter , converter, microwave, tv etc. Once you get the amperage you can figure out what you need.

Like Bret, I use two Honda 2000's (one if not running the A/C). My A/C is 15K btu.

KWire

Bret & Mike,

You say you run your 15K A/C using two Honda 2000's. Question, what was the elevation you typically do this at? I think I remember hearing that it would work fine at lower elevations, but once you get about 7,000ft it wouldn't work.

Have either of you had that experience?

Thanks, Keith.

pegmikef

Bret & Mike,

You say you run your 15K A/C using two Honda 2000's. Question, what was the elevation you typically do this at? I think I remember hearing that it would work fine at lower elevations, but once you get about 7,000ft it wouldn't work.

Thanks, Keith.

I ran them last year at Abiquiue COE park in New Mexico which I think is around 6500 feet and then later on the same trip at West Fork National Forest near Pagosa Springs, Colorado and I think that is 6 or 7 thousand feet. No problem, but my camping partner did have a little trouble with his 3 kw until his battery got charged up and then it worked ok (apparently the charger and the A/C were too much for it at the same time). When we boon dock I take Trojan 105s out of my golf cart so I didn't have the problem.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bret & Mike,

Thanks, Keith.

Keith.... We had no problems at 6,500 feet running both gens and A/C, we also camped at 9,500 ft. in the Colorado Mountains last summer but it was never hot enough to need the A/C. We used one generator to run microwave / charge batteries / run the wifes hair dryer, etc. and it ran fine. The owners manual states that you can have them tuned (air-fuel mix) for high elevations, but I didn't have any issues with it's original tune. I don't think you will have any issues at that elevation should you need A/C, which probably wouldn't be too often. The Hondas are a little pricey, but they are great generators and have a 3 year warranty. Shop Amazon for great deals on them (Harbor Sports in Michigan is where I got mine and the service and prices were great. Good Luck with whatever you choose.