How do you know if tv booster is working

FARMER45

When I run a channel search in a town, my tv will find channels when we are in a rural area it will not pick up any thing, when others around me can.
when I have it worked on its in town so it always seams to work. How do I prove if booster is working or not

jnbhobe

Re: How do you if tv booster is working

Turn the switch off. You will loose your connection. At least thats what mine does.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Do you do a channel search when ever you move? You should.
If the booster was not working you most likely would not receive channels anywhere.
I would also take a look at all the coax connectors. Look closely at each one for a tiny strip of the shielding wire touching the center wire. That would decrease the effectiveness of the signal wire. I have seen this several times.

Peace
Dave

PeternLiane

Do you do a channel search when ever you move? You should.
If the booster was not working you most likely would not receive channels anywhere.
I would also take a look at all the coax connectors. Look closely at each one for a tiny strip of the shielding wire touching the center wire. That would decrease the effectiveness of the signal wire. I have seen this several times.

Peace
Dave

I agree. We have to search for channels in each location or we'll receive no channels. I'm doubting that the coax is bad. If you haven't gotten one you may want to try a digital antenna extension too. You can also get a new Jack antenna head. They work great. We will only have a Jack antenna from now on. I receive so many more channels than I ever have before. Plus the Jack antenna head installs in about fifteen minutes and cost around 50 bucks.

FARMER45

I do a search each time we move, it works fine in places where a booster might not be needed. Friday I picked trailer up at dealer after they checked it said it was fine, drove 25 miles, did search no channels found. Today went back to dealer in a town did search worked fine. Came home I live in in country did channel search no channels.
What to do??

CliffP

I do a search each time we move, it works fine in places where a booster might not be needed. Friday I picked trailer up at dealer after they checked it said it was fine, drove 25 miles, did search no channels found. Today went back to dealer in a town did search worked fine. Came home I live in in country did channel search no channels.
What to do??

How far away from stations are you when you're home?

DougS

Doug S

Farmer45,
You might check the connection of the cable at the antenna, this connection has a rubber boot on it, and can come loose, but because of the boot, stay close enough to the connection for signals. This just happened to me two weeks ago, I had no signal, and found the connection at the antenna off but held in place by the boot. I think bringing the antenna up and down may loosen it. On my todo list is to go back on the roof with a wrench to tighten the connection.

FARMER45

I live 25 miles from town, this is the first trailer I have not been able to watch tv at home , the sob I could get 5 digital channels in my drive, with this one zero. It has been this way from day one, in town works fine, at the lake or in the woods no tv, and other campers are getting lots of stations

CliffP

Not sure about RV systems, but on most home systems the booster is near the antennae. Could you remove the wall plate, which should also be the power supply, and run a coax from that out the door and to the antennae to test your existing coax?

PeternLiane

I'd check the connections on the coax. Don't pull hard on the ends. They will come right off in your hand. I just moved my coax a little and I do mean a little. The end came right off and fell straight back into the hole on the roof. I had to take off the entire assembly. Which was a good thing in hindsight. The coax coupler was bad and had to be replaced. I would have had to do that sooner or later. I had to replace the coupler on my SOB too. You may have to replace the signal amplifier too. My brother had to replace his signal amplifier. Since I had to take the entire assembly off I just replaced my antenna with our new Jack antenna. Now I don't have to extend and retract the antenna at all.

wdk450

Be sure to check the coax connection on the roof at the antenna. I like to spray my coax connections with DeOxideIt contact cleaner spray (availible at Radio Shack).