Rt 26 in NM?

aatauses

Hi everyone,
Has anyone taken the rt 26 "cutoff" in NM--this is located near the I 10 & I 25 junction, but cuts off about 40 miles of travel---anyone had thier rv on it, bridges/overhangs/etc?
We will be heading E on I 10, then N on I 25 and just wondering if we could use rt 26?
thanks
al

merlinb

Retired
I have never driven that route but I have a "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas" and it does NOT indicate that route is suitable for heavy trucks. So, unless someone who has personally driven it recommends otherwise, I would not attempt it with my trailer. Just MHO.

hapjack

Hi Al:We live in southern Arizona and we have traveled Hwy 26 back and forth to Indiana for at least 30 yrs. Its wide 2 lane Hwy. Fuel is higher in Hatch then in Deming and it is always cheaper in Lordsburg at the truck stop. Jack & Carol 2083

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Hi everyone,
Has anyone taken the rt 26 "cutoff" in NM--this is located near the I 10 & I 25 junction, but cuts off about 40 miles of travel---anyone had thier rv on it, bridges/overhangs/etc?
We will be heading E on I 10, then N on I 25 and just wondering if we could use rt 26?
thanks
al

We were just on Hwy 26 two days ago. It will shorten the trip time for sure. There aren't any overhangs; it is a major route for RVs and there were quite a lot taking this route from Demming to Hatch & visa versa. Also, there is a very good eating establishment called "Sparky's" in Hatch; there's a parking area across the street (gravel) that has a large cow/steer on wheels (you can't miss it!). Sparky's was not in our GPS for some reason but if you ask your GPS for the town center Sparky's is right next door. There were 6 of us in our group and no one had any complaints about the food...if you like spice the side dish of chili corn is for you:eek:

RoadJunkie

Not a problem from a road-worthy perspective, however watch the weather for wind. That area is notorious for brownouts due to blowing dust.

aatauses

Thanks everyone,
Looks like we will give it a try on Monday 4/9. Once again this forum and you have helped me again--sure am glad no one sends a bill!!!!
Have a great day
al

jimtoo

Thanks everyone,
Looks like we will give it a try on Monday 4/9. Once again this forum and you have helped me again--sure am glad no one sends a bill!!!!
Have a great day
al
WHAT????? You have not been getting a bill for mod services???? No wonder my paycheck is so skinny,,:mad:, Will have to check with billing dept...ON third thought,,;), just give me your SS #,, bank account #,,, and at least 2 credit card #'s... I will collect myself..♥♥:angel: ♥♥

Your Mod u trust. :angel:

merlinb

Retired
I'm glad you got some responses from people who have actually driven over that road. Sounds like it should be O.K. to travel with your RV. Have a safe trip.