Suggestions on the 2012 305

ILH

Our new 305 just arrived at the dealer this week. we were given the opportunity to walk through it (although it hasn't been prepped yet). I noticed a couple of design issues that I would suggest be fixed on future models.

1. The slam door that provides access to the control centre does not lift beyond about 5 feet - making access difficult. This needs to be reworked.

2. The generator compartment, when not holdinga generator, needs a floor to make it a proper stoage area.

3. The valences on both sides of the couches interfere with the cup holders.

4. The vacuum cannister needs to be moved to a more accessible location.

Once we start using the RV I'll post some additional thoughts.

CliffP

Congrats on the new camper. It'll be exciting to finally get it home.

Cliff and Mindy

ILH

Thanks. The list of suggested improvements isn't meant to sound like we're unhappy - in fact, we're dying to get out and start camping! We also noted that Heartland made severa mid-season improvements on the 305 that we've benefited from.

porthole

Retired
1st time you see the bedroom slide open you'll understand the reason for the door limitation.
The genny compartment would not be "gen ready" if the floor was finished.

ILH

Oh believe me - I understand. We had the slide out when I was looking at it. It still needs reworking from a design standpoint. If the engineers had to work with on a daily basis at the factory, you know it would have been better designed (grin).

ILH

Okay, so now that we've had the RV for about 2 months, a couple more suggestions have come to mind:

- a shelf (or shelves) at the head of the master bed for glasses, etc. This is a high priority.
- a light on the underside of the top bunk. When configured as a bench/table, the lighting is poor.
- a plug on the slide side of the living room (by the sofa)
- adjustable shelves for the bottom and top cupboards (by the tv). Right now the space needs a shelf and is wasted space.
- lighting for the control panel opposite the entry door. The text on black bacground is very difficult to read in all but bright light.

tljack

I took a piece of plexiglass to make a template for drilling adjustable holes to install hole for shelves. Drilled front and rear on both sides of each cabinet. Went to the home store and bought black prefinished shelving and the hangers. Looks like it was always that way. I have thought a 110 v outlet by the couch would be nice too. I am going to install on left side of the entertainment cabinet next to the bottom doors. I can steal power from the outlet for the TV.

ILH

I took a piece of plexiglass to make a template for drilling adjustable holes to install hole for shelves. Drilled front and rear on both sides of each cabinet. Went to the home store and bought black prefinished shelving and the hangers. Looks like it was always that way. I have thought a 110 v outlet by the couch would be nice too. I am going to install on left side of the entertainment cabinet next to the bottom doors. I can steal power from the outlet for the TV.

I have a jig by Kregg that allows me to drill pegboard holes - designed for shelving. It worked great. I now have shelves all across the top (over the TV) and below. Much more space. For so little cost, this should have been a standard feature from the factory.