spare on pull-out rack

We just brought home our first Heartland trailer, a 2012 26FQB Trail Runner. Bought it used from a non Heartland dealer. It has the spare tire mounted on the bumper of the pull-out bike rack. Does the tire weight count against the 200 LB capacity limit, or is that just for the plastic tray?

Larry & Deb Troxell

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Larry and Deb, welcome to the forum and Heartland Family. There is lots of good information here and I am sure that you will get an answer.
If not, a call to Heartland Customer Service will get the answer.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030
Be sure to check out the Portal Page for information on the rally in New York.

Peace
Dave

CliffP

Welcome to the forum! Yes the spare counts against the 200 lb capacity. The spare tire on North Trail TTs is mounted underneath the tongue from the factory. Congrats on your new camper!

Cliff and Mindy

Thanks for the fast response! Our friends have a North Trail on order, and their tire will be under the tongue. Is there a reason somebody would move it to the back? This trailer was only used a few times, and it was parked at a seasonal site, never towed. Guess I will look tomorrow to see if it can be returned to under the tongue.
Larry & Deb

CliffP

Some people have moved theirs to the back to give them more clearance in the front. It does seem to ride low. We have long drive that is pretty level coming off the road. If it becomes a problem elsewhere (like pulling into gas stations) I'll consider moving it.

Cliff

PeternLiane

My spare has been good under the front tongue. If it ever becomes an issue, I'll be moving it the rear bumper.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Never been an issue mounted up front under the tongue. I'll keep it there as I want the rear bike rack for my generator storage box.
P1010214.JPG

pegmikef

The spare under the tongue works well for me. I also use the rear rack for my Honda generators and a utility cargo box. Haven't ever had a problem.

PeternLiane

The spare under the tongue works well for me. I also use the rear rack for my Honda generators and a utility cargo box. Haven't ever had a problem.

I've seen a lot of great utility boxes for the pull out bumper. I know we'll be getting one at some point.

I looked at the trailer tongue today and found holes where the tire holder must have been mounted from the factory. Anybody have a pic of what should be there?
I will probably move it off the bumper so I have the full capacity of the rack. It will either go in the cargo hold, or back under the tongue.

I am attaching a pic of my rig , mostly as a test to see how to attach a pic

Larry T

Attachments

• 26FQB.jpg
    26FQB.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29

CliffP

197_9718.JPG
This is the only pic I have with the spare tire shown. I'll get some better ones in the daylight tomorrow morning.

Cliff

PeternLiane

Nice pics. I'll see if I can get a pic of the spare too.

Cliff - Looking at you pic, do you have 20lbs or 30lbs propane tanks on your NT? You can tell that the spare is new with the tag still on it.

CliffP

Nice pics. I'll see if I can get a pic of the spare too.

Cliff - Looking at you pic, do you have 20lbs or 30lbs propane tanks on your NT? You can tell that the spare is new with the tag still on it.

Our dealer swapped out the factory 20lb tanks with 30lb tanks (not sure if it was an option from Heartland). We needed the furnace on our last trip for 2011 and ran out of LP. Not very convenient. Still have to make sure they're full but more is better!We're also going to use some electric heat this season (depending where we are).

Cliff and Mindy

CliffP

2012-04-04 06.58.17.jpg2012-04-04 07.00.22.jpg2012-04-04 07.00.47.jpg2012-04-04 06.58.37.jpg

Here are some pics of our spare tire mount. Check with your dealer maybe they have a mount laying around. I know some forum members have moved their spares so you might want to start a new thread and ask. If nothing else I'm sure someone has a better idea of where you can get one. If we would had to move ours sometime I thought about keeping it in our pass through storage but it would take up some space. I think I'd rather keep it in the back of the truck than there. I'd have to remember it for every trip then.....don't think so. Hope this helps!

Cliff

Thanks for the pictures Cliff, now I know what I am missing. Looks like a car jack mounted upside down, with some brackets to support it all. I was looking at mine last night, and am thinking I might try to mount it back further, up between the frame rails. It would be higher, and less likely to hit something. Just have to get some more duct tape and Popsicle sticks. If I come up with any great ideas, I will put on some pics if anybody is interested. LT

berky

Hey thanks for posting those pics, CliffP. I just bought a 26LRSS, and was puzzled over the spare location. It's under the tongue .... but under the propane tanks, where the spring bars rub against it. Looks like it should be under the battery box. I'm going to look at mine and see if I can move it back.

CliffP

Hey thanks for posting those pics, CliffP. I just bought a 26LRSS, and was puzzled over the spare location. It's under the tongue .... but under the propane tanks, where the spring bars rub against it. Looks like it should be under the battery box. I'm going to look at mine and see if I can move it back.

Must be an optical illusion, the spare has clearance all the way around it.

You may be able to gain a little clearance by moving it back but not sure if it would be worth it. Our's hasn't been a problem where it is now. You might have problems if your drive is steep where it meets the road though. I've heard of people moving them for that reason. We've had no issues so far.

Cliff and Mindy

pegmikef

I just bought a 26LRSS, and was puzzled over the spare location. It's under the tongue .... but under the propane tanks, where the spring bars rub against it. Looks like it should be under the battery box.

You are correct. The spare on my 26LRSS is directly under the battery box and it looks like Cliff's is too. For some reason it look like I have a little more clearance than Cliff. Anyway here's a couple more pix.

Attachments

• spareone.jpg
    spareone.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 39
  • sparetwo.jpg
    sparetwo.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 42

CliffP

You are correct. The spare on my 26LRSS is directly under the battery box and it looks like Cliff's is too. For some reason it look like I have a little more clearance than Cliff. Anyway here's a couple more pix.

The pictures are a little deceiving, we have a lot more clearance than it looks like. Our driveway has quite a slope to it. To make the camper level the tongue has to be close to the ground.

2012-03-23 11.12.50.jpg

Cliff