ATF: Landmark - decal replacement

GarryH

I'm sure there must be a post somewhere about this but I can't find the specific answer as to how to replace the decals.
I have a 2005 Landmark with a couple of the decals already removed and new ones ready to go on--- the sticky side of the new decal has the colour on it but the other side has a white papery kind of finsh that doesn't come off very well and this will be the outside of the decal when it is applied. Is the process to apply the decal and then remove the sticky white cover somehow??

hoefler

Mix a solution of 10 parts water to 1 part liquid soap, I use Dawn. Clean the area where the decal is to be positioned. Liberally spray the soap solution on this are and let stay wet. Do not attempt this in direct sunlight or on a very warm day. Depending on the size of the decal, you may need help, as you peel the backing off the sticky side, spray with the solution until the the backing is completely removed. Make sure your target area is still wet and re-wet if needed. Now position the decal on the unit, the solution will allow you to move the decal around to get it positioned correctly. When you are satisfied in the location, take a plastic body filler spreader or credit card and start at the top center and squeegee out the solution and any air. Continue this until all air and solution is gone, you can tell by lifting the white backing and the decal separates from the backing and stays stuck to the surface. As you remove the backing, fold the backing over and pull it at a 90* angle so you have a 45* angle as the decal is exposed. Go slowly and squeegee any areas that lift and to make sure the decal is securely stuck to the surface. Go over the decals to remove any remaining air bubbles and make sure the decals are stuck well. Let dry and you are done.

GarryH

thanks for this---so am I putting the sticky side of the decal towards the trailer or the white thin papery side of the decal towards the trailer and then squeegee it so all the air is out and the decal sticks and then lifting the heavier paper backing off the decal?
The sticky side of the decal looks like it should be towards the outside as it has the best colour.

hoefler

Sticky side towards the trailer, white backing out. The white backing is used to keep the decal spacing and shape. It is removed after the decal is firmly applied to the surface.