Sundance 3000MK or 3300QS?

Wumba

Soon to be wife and I are looking to move from a TT to a fiver in the coming months. We really like the floor plans in these models. My question is anyone pulling these with a 3/4 ton diesel TV? We have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab, standard bed, no 4wd. Are the weights on these acceptable to pull with safely? Thanks in advance!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wumba, welcome to the forum. Lots of good information to be found here.
The GVWR on your truck is 9,200 pounds. Realistically you should weigh your truck and know what the pin weight of the Sundance will be.
I tow a larger trailer with an 07 GMC 2500. I am slightly over weight but I have had no problems and it tows great.
Others will chime in with their thoughts.
DW_Gray has a great weight calculator. Read about it HERE.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Amazingly enough, the pin weights on the Sundances can be just as much, or more, than on the Landmarks. It's all about balance after all. We were actually "overweight" from a payload/pin weight perspective with our 2900MK and our F250, but OK on GCVW, and weight on rear tires. You'll pull the overall weight fine. We added a set of helper springs and it really did help. If I could have at the time, I would have gone with a F350 dually (like I now have) just to be on the safe side.

mac26s

2500 Overweight? I'd bet on it. I'd say 75% of 2500s towing 5ers are overweight.

Not a good situation if you get an 'over weight' ticket at an accident. What will that ticket do to 'who's at fault?' to your insurance premium? I did the math and moved to a 3500.

Just look inside the drivers door for 'max cargo + passenger weight'. Then look at the DRY pin weight of the 3000mk or 3300qs. Allow for cargo in the 5er, most of which will add to the pin because it is ahead of the axles. Add Mom, Dad, (passengers), the 5er hitch weight, and cargo in the TV. There will be your answer.

mlburst1

We tow our 2010 Sundance 2900MK (the same as the 3000MK except bedroom config) with a 2005 Ford F250 - had it weighed at the Goshen Rally last year - the results are attached.

We live in our rig about 8 months per year so it's fully loaded and the safety margins are fine except for Fords strange combined axle ratings that don't add up to the combined individual axle ratings - not a concern to us.

Attachments

• RVSEF_weights.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 50

danemayer

We tow our 2010 Sundance 2900MK (the same as the 3000MK except bedroom config) with a 2005 Ford F250 - had it weighed at the Goshen Rally last year - the results are attached.

We live in our rig about 8 months per year so it's fully loaded and the safety margins are fine except for Fords strange combined axle ratings that don't add up to the combined individual axle ratings - not a concern to us.

Mike, the results of the weigh-in are only as accurate as your inputs on the truck's specs. Are you sure you have the right numbers? Most F250s with Single Rear Wheels will have payload of 2300-2700. Your truck's GVWR less unloaded weight is at the low end of that range. Your actual pin weight is over the high end of the range. I might be misreading it, but something doesn't add up.

mlburst1

Dan,

I rechecked the specs on the pillar post - they are correct.

Since Walter Cannon had double checked them while weighing our rig, I was/am confident that we are well within the Ford specs.

Mike

Mike