Results of first weekend out with the 3670

Niles

The weekend is behind us, and for just the short time we had, we had a great time. The 3670 is awsome, we had to give everyone a tour of the place and they alll were impressed I think. The only thing that I didn't understand is I thought I filled the water tank and when we got there it only had a third in it, and I'm hoping I don't have the problem that I have read some have,cause I can't honestly say I checked it at the gauge I thought I got it filled. We'll try again this weekend, and I'll make sure it is full when we take off. We did find a couple of flaws that we didn't see when we did the PDI, but nothing major. The Dodge pulled it like a dream, we weghed in at 23220# with 2/3 fuel. We'll check that again as I live real close to a set of scales, the side to side was about 500# different to the street side. So all in all looking forward to a lot of fun times in our new unit.

Niles

sidney dreyfus

Dually or single rear wheel? 6ft or 8ft bed?

Hi Niles,
We are expecting our 3670rl to come off the line this friday July 27th. I haven't bought a truck yet, but am leaning towards the Ford 350. The question I have is whether I can get away with a single rear wheel and a standard 6 ft bed. My wife will be driving the truck around town and I'm not sure I want to ask her to drive a dually with an 8 ft. bed which I know is ideal for our Big Horn. Any comment from you or anyone else would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid Dreyfus

Princess Kathleen

We built our 350 on the Ford.com website. Then took it down to the dealers and placed the order...on the website it explains all the add on and what you need to add on this and that....for example, for us to get tinted windows we had to order a sliding rear window...no problem since DH uses it in hooking up/unhooking. Also got the truck at wholesale price.

PK

jpmorgan37

You will feel a considerable difference in overall stability with the dually. If you are going to be running in the mountains any amount, I would definately recommend getting the dually. JMHO

John

sidney dreyfus

Princess Kathleen said:
We built our 350 on the Ford.com website. Then took it down to the dealers and placed the order...on the website it explains all the add on and what you need to add on this and that....for example, for us to get tinted windows we had to order a sliding rear window...no problem since DH uses it in hooking up/unhooking. Also got the truck at wholesale price.

PK

Thank you for your suggestions. I would like to get our truck at wholesale price and have gone onto ford.com but how did you manage to get a wholesale price? Did you just happen to find a dealer that wanted to move a truck?

Thanks,
Sid Dreyfus

sidney dreyfus

jpmorgan37 said:
You will feel a considerable difference in overall stability with the dually. If you are going to be running in the mountains any amount, I would definately recommend getting the dually. JMHO

John

Thank you John. I know your right. Dually with an 8 ft bed would be best. Just don't know if my wife would be comfortable driving it around town. Have you an opinion on the 4.1 versus the 4.3 axle?

Sid Dreyfus

Princess Kathleen

Yes, we found one that responded to our emails. DH said he was the only one to answer from our surrounding area, we and he offered and we took the deal...basically all he had to do is sign off on it....we did all the ordering with the printout from the site.

PK

jpmorgan37

Sid;
A lot depends on where you plan on doing most of your travelling. The 4.10 will give you better overall fuel economy. The 4.30 will handle the hills better. So the question remains, how many miles to you plan to travel each year, how many months are you going to be on the road, and how many mountains are you going to be pulling in. Or you can do like we do and my bride follows me in her car and we park the TV when we get where we're going to be for several months. I have a 4.88 with 19 inch tires and average 15+ not towing and 9 to 10 towing.

Niles

I'll give my two cents worth too, I had a SWD 3/4 ton with almost the same size trailer and had no problem except when in a crosswind. That being said now that I've got the DWD I would never ever consider going back. It is a problem driving around town, but who cares I bought it to tow and be safe, if I take two parking places I guess that's just one less the guy in the BMW is going to hog. As for the 8 over 6ft bed I like the 8 because I can put more stuff in the truck bed, and you can look at our signature to tell it's all about the stuff!! I have the 4:10 gears and a exhaust brake on the truck and with the Dodge I have never felt that I lack anything in the way of power or braking and I did take the 3670 back to the dealer cause I wasn't happy with the way the trailer was stopping , they told me I had good reason the brakes on the trailer where way out of adjustment, pull the brake cable and it rolls downhill type of out of adjustment. Just my two cents worth plus a little.:D

Niles

Forgot Goldwingers best of luck with the new unit, maybe we'll meet some day down the road.

sidney dreyfus

Niles said:
I'll give my two cents worth too, I had a SWD 3/4 ton with almost the same size trailer and had no problem except when in a crosswind. That being said now that I've got the DWD I would never ever consider going back. It is a problem driving around town, but who cares I bought it to tow and be safe, if I take two parking places I guess that's just one less the guy in the BMW is going to hog. As for the 8 over 6ft bed I like the 8 because I can put more stuff in the truck bed, and you can look at our signature to tell it's all about the stuff!! I have the 4:10 gears and a exhaust brake on the truck and with the Dodge I have never felt that I lack anything in the way of power or braking and I did take the 3670 back to the dealer cause I wasn't happy with the way the trailer was stopping , they told me I had good reason the brakes on the trailer where way out of adjustment, pull the brake cable and it rolls downhill type of out of adjustment. Just my two cents worth plus a little.:D

Thank you and every one else for their suggestions. With your input I have decided that the dually with the 8ft bed would be best. We hope to go cross country in 2009 so although we will be losing fuel economy, the 4.3 will help getting us over the mountains and the exhaust brake will help getting us back down.

Thanks to everyone,

Sid Dreyfus
Long Island, N.Y.

christianson

If you are thinking extra fuel tank 8ft box would be good Ford dose make a short box DRW I just ordered a 2008 DRW 4x4 Ford with 4.10 3rd DRW I have had would not go back to SRW because stability you get used to the extra length

madigand

When I bought my 1 ton dually, DW said she would never drive that tank. She has adjusted and drives around in town now.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
madigand said:
When I bought my 1 ton dually, DW said she would never drive that tank. She has adjusted and drives around in town now.

I know what you mean. When I get my BH to Florida in January, I essentially give Saundra the keys to the Megacab and she lets me have the keys back in April so I can haul the unit back to Michigan.

It's a bit of a change from her Toyota Highlander, but she manages well.

Chuck