How do I tell if I have Aluminum or Stainless Steel valve stems

Sailor

I have a 2011 GC with ALUMINUM rims how can I tell if the have ALUMINUM or STAINLESS STEEL VALVE STEMS ? it is easy to tell the differenc between Brass but not ALUMINUM or STAINLESS STEEL. I want to get a TPMS but need to order the correct Transmitters.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: How do I tell

Mark, I don't think valve stems are available in aluminum. Chances are you have either brass or steel. Most likely steel. You should be able to scratch the stem to check the color of the metal.

Sailor

I know that I don't have brass, so if I am understanding you aluminum woud scratch much easier then SS?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Well, yes that's true but again, I don't know that valve stems are even available in aluminum. They would be too easy to damage.

branson4020

Icantre Member

I have a 2011 GC with ALUMINUM rims how can I tell if the have ALUMINUM or STAINLESS STEEL VALVE STEMS ? it is easy to tell the differenc between Brass but not ALUMINUM or STAINLESS STEEL. I want to get a TPMS but need to order the correct Transmitters.

What system are you ordering that has different parts depending on the valve stem?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Actually, aluminum valve stems are available.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Valve_Stems_s/64.htm?gclid=CN_D686NnK8CFcqA7QodM3-ecQ

Whether or not HL is specifying them on the wheels they use is not known to me. I think I have a steel valve stem, but it's hard to tell. I know it's not magnetic, so unless it's a non-magnetic stainless steel grade, it just might be aluminum. At any rate, I've left my TST 510 sensors on for extended periods with no problem. I think the problems that were reported were when they were used with brass stems.

GOTTOYS

Take a look at the TST system. Very popular among members on this site. Very good reputation for service. Just a suggestion...Don

lthrnk

As far as the valve stems, try a magnet on them. Should be steel or brass, and that will tell the difference. I have been using TST TPMS for three years, and would go with them again, if needed. Good customer service, just call and speak to Dan.