Trailer length..hard to get use too

wingfoot

I'm having some problems getting use to my trailer length (3400RE 36' 9"). I had a 30' SOB and never really had a problem with trailer tracking and negotiating turns, backing, or overall handling. Well, the other day I hit a post on the DS negotiating a right turn. I've been pulling a 5r for over ten years never had a problem. It seems this trailer really tracks WIDE, could be just me. It also seems I have to pull far into the opposing traffic to negotiate turns..especially any right turns.
Aside for the obvious answers, did it take any of you a longer learning curve to pull your longer trailer? I'm just a little paranoid and intimidated by the shear length.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just got to be constantly aware of what is back there. I keep using the rear view mirrors constantly to keep track of where the trailer is.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I learned real quick the first time I pulled out of the driveway and my mailbox disapeared.
So like Jim, I am always looking in the mirror and have learned to swing wide.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

You'll get the hang of it! When I started driving long trailers on the farm, dear old dad had me take the Mac and highboy into the field and negotiate the square-bail stooks, backup up, cutting them close, etc, etc. Great experience and practice to really get familiar with how your vehicle and trailer respond.

I now take my boys into empty parking lots and do the same. The DW learned to negotiate our unit in an empty Walmart parking lot with my setting up cones and her driving around for a few hours. Cost me a few new traffic cones, but worth it.

Now all this said, I clipped a sign post last year while pulling out of a parking lot. I got caught by pulling too close to it while parking beside it (ODS). While pulling away I cut right and the back on the trailer swung left and clipped it. Point being, these things happen even when you think you've mastered it..... Practice makes it easier and bad experiences makes good judgement......

Take care,
Brian

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Unlike trailers with the axles mounted to the rear, RV's have them mounted towards the center causing the back to "kick" out. The longer the coach the more kick.

DMitch

Codycarver hit the nail on the head I think. The trailer wheels are positioned differently on different trailers and this makes a big difference on how the trailer turns and the swing of the back end.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Wide turns my friends, wide turns but remember there is a tail also. I also tell first time pullers to find a school parking lot after-hours and practice, practice, practice.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I too have realized how differently a 5ver tracks than a bumper pull. I also went from a 24ft BP to a 35ft 5ver. And the experienced advice you have seen here is right on the money - "ever aware" is my mantra when I am towing and even with that sometimes I see things in my side view mirrors that remind me of that ( real close calls ) Check the tight side during every turn, but do not forget the off turn side as you set up the turn for the increased tail end "push" in a wide tight turn.

StephenKatSea

Had a buddy who drove very large rigs in the military. He taught me to "live in" the mirrors. He would say not just in turns and when positioning, but even on the interstate. And it works. . .

Birchwood

Our Landmarks true length is 39 ft 5 in and this is the first RV I have ever towed.My turns are all wide and am very selctive where I pull
off the highway.I find the whole art of towing this rig a challange because I was never a truck driver like many rvers.I have done 10000
miles and only rubbed a pole once so its ok but I still am not that comfortable with towing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We clipped a post pulling into an RV park pull-through late at night. We were trying to avoid the picnic table on the door side. Pulled too shallow and engaged a protective metal post on the off door side. :(. We still aren't comfortable backing, even after 2 years.

E

57chevyconvt

Boy, I thought I was the only one that had problems with backing and turns. I am in the process of installing a back-up camera in hopes that it will give me a little more visibility when backing. I have learned to 'live in the mirrors' as much as possible. I generally do ok by watching the mirrors during a left hand turn, but a RH turn is my problem in judging the how far I must go past the corner to start making the wide swing. I have the DW trained to constantly monitor the small convex mirror to assist in alerting me if I am cutting the corner on RH turns. I know the folks behind me are talking about my driving but I must take those RH turns slow and watch carefully. Sometime I wonder if the engineers that design some of these roads and intersections have every driven a truck and trailer. I learned the hard way that you can back a 5er into a location that when it comes to pulling out is next to impossible.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is the best suggestion I can give you. Get some orange traffic cones or even plastic milk jugs painted orange. Put them in a large abandoned parking lot then practice turning backing and even stopping. Make the lanes narrow when going in a straight line like some of the roads are. Practice until you are comfortable enough to 'mix it up' with the traffic.

tcfake613

It happens to everyone once in a while. A short story comes to mind. Several years ago... well maybe more than several... I was in caravan of four rv's heading about an hour north of where we live to put our trailers in a big storage barn for the winter. I was following the leader, a gentleman who OWNED an RV business and was a seasoned RVer. He was pulling his 30' travel trailer. I was pulling a 26' Sunline. He pulled over suddenly along the side of the road to answer a call, so I pulled in behind him on the berm. He got a call from his wife and as I recall there was something very important going on back at home and he had to turn and go back. He was flustered... not thinking. He comes back to me to tell me he has to run back home and that I am to continue on and lead the others. He gets back in his truck... still flustered... and proceeds to make a left hand u-turn on the two lane road. Problem is, on the right side of the berm was about a 7' high dirt bank. As soon as he went to make the turn he started to tear the back end of the trailer off as it swung to the right. He didn't even realize what he did and I watched in horror as the continued around.

Two morals of the story.... situational awareness, always know your surroundings.... and don't let other things distract you when pulling a trailer.

The good thing for me is that taught me a lesson about always knowing where your back end is! There's a lot of rear overhang on my 39' 9" Bighorn, and I'm well aware of it because of that lasting image in my mind!

wingfoot

Thanks again to all...I guess a lot of us have had experiences with these long 5r's. One of the things I've taken from these post is "awareness" of your surroundings.

Is there any way to determine back-wash on turns? That has become my biggest concern..can't see what's going on back there on turns.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Awareness, indeed! My one almost "Aww, (expletive)" moment was when leaving the Goshen rally last year. I missed the street right out of the campgrounds and had to turn around at the lot for the cement pipe company (or whatever it is) down the road before the traffic light. Pulling back onto the road, I almost caught one of the big concrete vaults they had sitting there. A quick glance in the mirror and a fast wheel manuever avoided contact.

My advice, learn to love your extended mirrors and set them before you hit the road.

TXTiger

Haven't bought a rig yet, hope to in the next few months. Just a comment on 3 lefts make a right. I had a friend who was a FedEx driver and she said they were taught to always try to make right turns and avoid left turns? Not sure why? Any comments on which are better/eaiser left or right?

caissiel

It has been proven that doing all rights saves times when making deliveries through town. Its driving in circles while not stuck at left hand turns at the lights.