Any of you guys convert your 2 propane tanks down to 1 tank?

marc515

With the price of fuel now a days, I'm considering converting the 2 propane tank system on the MPG to a 1 tank system. It will also reduce ttongue weight.

Unless you are going out into the wild for an extended stay, one tank should be more than sufficient, and if you do campground camping, I think most campgrounds have refill facilities, or they are usually near by.

Have any of you guys done that, or are considering it? Something to think about.

olcoon

Sounds like it could be an option, but I'd be concerned about running out of propane in the middle of the night while needing propane for the furnace or what ever, and not being able to get it refilled until I could find someplace to get it refilled open. As it is with 2 tanks, I don't worry about propane until I switch over to the 2nd tank, and it's not an emergency even then.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Roy makes one of the best points, but think about this too. You buy propane today at say, $3.00 per gallon. In a couple of weeks, it goes to $4.00 a gallon, but you have TWO tanks that are full of the cheaper propane. Hopefully it will be awhile before you need a refill, and then prices have come back down, so you have saved some money!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Jay, but if you are worried about weight, I would just leave the second tank empty.
Keep it and keep your options open, in case you need it. Trace

Nathan

Your truck+your camper are atleast 3500 pounds. Is the 20 pound tank going to make a measurable difference? IMO I really think your thinking about it too much.

DougS

Doug S
Marc,
you might also want to consider how tanks are secured during travel. The holders are usually designed for two tanks, one tank missing, will holder have to be modified? Would hate to loss a tank will traveling down the highway.

GOTTOYS

Can't see what there is to gain. 20-30 even 50# isn't going to change anything as far as towing is concerned...Don

caissiel

Our 1st trailer had one tank a 40lb. When the tank got low I had to refill at nearest dealer, most charged me for a full 40lbs most of the time. Your tanks will nver be full all the tim it might average 30lbs of propane so for the trouble keep the 2 tanks.

PeternLiane

I'd have to agree with the other posts. You don't want to run out of propane when you need it. On our maiden voyage last year we camped in October. We had two 20lb tanks and we ran out of propane. We always ran with two 30lb tanks on our SOB trailers. We never ran out. We're now going back to our two 30lb tanks. The weight increase or decrease is marginal. However, not having to drive 50 miles for propane at 8 in the morning because the DW is cold will be priceless.

Bob Vaughn

We had a pickup camper that had ONE propane tank and I can promise you that you will run out of propane at the most in opportune time. It happened to us on more than one occasion. It is a guessing game as to how much gas is really in the tank ....