Any reason why I can't hook up my Briggs and Stratton generator to my TT?

Nathan

Ok guys I have another question for you all; Is there any reason why I can't use my residential generator to power up my camper (30 amp). I know that to use the generator (8250 starting watts 5500 running watts) I first fire it up, then plug in the camper and then throw the switch to give it juice. I don't plan on boondocking often but for the trips were it is necessary is my regular generator fine? I have seen guys permanently attach there generators but that would be a waste of my time and effort. I appreciate your input! Thanks!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
we haven't used a generator with either of our Big Countrys but did with the Sundance without any problems. We like to go NasCar racing and used a 5500 watt genny all the time before moving up to a location with partial hookups.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Careful with electronic devices such as computers etc. The (quiet) inverter generators produce a pure or modified sine wave, typically the noisey contractor types don't.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Careful with electronic devices such as computers etc. The (quiet) inverter generators produce a pure or modified sine wave, typically the noisey contractor types don't.

All generators produce full sine wave output. No generator produces MSW output. The inverter types may be slightly cleaner than a cheapo conventional generator, but not remarkably so. All the big standby generators for hospitals, communications facilities, military installations, etc. are conventional (non-inverter) generators. Its easy to confuse the inverter technology used in some portable generators with the stand-alone power inverters we sometimes add to our coaches.

berky

Just make sure you plug your RV into one of the 120 V outlets on your generator that size. A generator that size might have a 240 V outlet in addition to the more common 120 V outlets.

jimtoo

Just make sure you plug your RV into one of the 120 V outlets on your generator that size. A generator that size might have a 240 V outlet in addition to the more common 120 V outlets.

Hi berky,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge.

Great point about the 240v outlet on some of the generators, some have them and some don't, and it would be a bad outcome if someone did hook up to the 240v.

Enjoy the forum and your North Trail.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a Generac 7500 watt Generator. We have used it on our RV during post Hurricane Rita and Ike 3 week long power outages without any issues. Although is is noisier than the RV specific generators it still serves the purpose. We ran ours 24/7 powering the RV and the lights and 2 refrigerators in our home at the same time. Just kept adding gasoline when needed. We did have a RV plug made for it (30 amp).