valve stem question

taken

So, I was going to order a TST 507 system. Their site says metal valve stems are recommended. My question is this. There are two types of metal stems. The ones that are completely metal that actually bolt into the rim. Then there are the metal/rubber combo ones that have a rubber base where it is pressed into the rim with a metal stem coming out of it. Which is necessary?

branson4020

Icantre Member
They recommend all steel valve stems because the stress put on the rubber valve stems by the spinning sensor can cause the rubber stem to leak.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Four years ago when I bought my Pressure Pro they recommended the all metal valve stems. I had the high pressure rubber/brass and thought I could change them out when I needed new tires.
Found out the hard way that I could not wait. Had a leak when the valve stem failed. On the plus side the PP did warn me.

Peace
Dave

taken

Thanks for the input guys. I also wrote directly to TST and got the following reply. I guess their sensors are much lighter and are fine with my metal/rubber stems....

From TST:
Either type of stem, bolt-in or metal-with-rubber-base, should work fine with both of our systems. In fact, there are customers who run the 510 system, with its heavier sensors, even on rubber stems without incident. The reason metal are recommend is because, over time, installing and removing the sensors will wear on rubber more than on metal.

Even so, the 507 tire pressure monitoring systems was designed to operate on rubber stems, so we would recommend opting for the 507 system with your rubber/metal stems.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks for the input guys. I also wrote directly to TST and got the following reply. I guess their sensors are much lighter and are fine with my metal/rubber stems....

From TST:
Either type of stem, bolt-in or metal-with-rubber-base, should work fine with both of our systems. In fact, there are customers who run the 510 system, with its heavier sensors, even on rubber stems without incident. The reason metal are recommend is because, over time, installing and removing the sensors will wear on rubber more than on metal.

Even so, the 507 tire pressure monitoring systems was designed to operate on rubber stems, so we would recommend opting for the 507 system with your rubber/metal stems.

Thanks for the info. I have the 507 system and was going this week to have metal stems put in the trailer. It currently has rubber stems. But according to your quote, the rubber valve stems should be fine. Good to know, save me a few bucks and a few gallons of fuel.

Jamie

taken

That's what they tell me. I have the metal stems with the rubber base which they say is fine too. I'll keep en eye on them, but if TST isn't worried about liability or bad press from this recommendation, then I'm sure it's fine.