Hot water help please!?!

sbxone

Hello all. Im a new owner of a used 2009 3950 that I got from a dealer. Walk through information was not entirely accurate but Im figuring things out. The water heater has me perplexed though. I have (through the forum) figured out which switch was which. I was misinformed as to which was which by the salesman. I had thought that maybe I had burned out the electric element based on previous postings, but, I get hot or warm water for a few seconds after the water runs for a few seconds. I did have the element on without water in the heater Im pretty sure, cause bypass for the water heater was shut off. If that were the case why would I be getting a little warm water? I know that the gas heater is not on.

Secondly, how long should it take for the propane water heater to kick on. It seems to be really inconsistent or maybe its not coming on because the water heater has hot water in the heater? Not really sure based on the other problems with the heater. I would appreciate any and all help, but if you have pictures of the different items or things you are suggesting it sure would be helpful for the new guy.

Thanks in advance to all

jimtoo

Hi sbxone,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

First is to make sure your valves are in the correct position and not in bypass mode. Both the in and out line valves open and the valve between the lines closed. Next, check the shower heads, outdoor also, some are equipped with buttons that shut off the water at the sprayer head,,, make sure the handles at the control are turned off, not at just the shower head. If the water is bypassing in the shower controls or if bypass valve in wrong position you would get just warm water for a little while.

I'm sure some other family members will jump in with more information also. Hang in there.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

CliffP

Congrats on your new camper, and welcome to the forum! Sure you'll find the answer here.

Happy Camping,

Cliff and Mindy

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hi sbxone,

Welcome to the Heartland Family - I too fried my Electric heating element ( actually it was fried by the Dealer ) in a PDI that was less than informed when I purchased my Used Rig from a non Heartland Dealer. That Error aside - If you get HW for a moment then back to cold, I would check to make sure you have all three heater bypass valves in the proper configuration. It you look at the piping for the water heater - it is shaped somewhat like an "H" with three Valves one on the cross piece and one on each leg. the Valves on the legs should be open ( in line with the pipe) and the one on the Cross ( the Bypass ) should be closed.
bypass-valves.jpg

If the Bypass is left open you will get cold water in the HW line.

When you switch on the Propane HW ( DSI ) switch in the Camper does it light up - do you have a small led above or below that kicks on for a second then goes out? ( that is the fault light )

I am of course assuming that you have Gas on and you have fired up the stove to insure you do actually have Gas flowing.. ( that is always my test )

I hope this helps.

Kevin

Last edited:

sbxone

Thank you all for the welcome and the quick responses. It appears that I opened only one side of the valves when I was trying to get the water heater filled to begin with. Would have been nice to know these things when I picked it up. I suppose thats what I get. So it would appear that I managed with the help of the group to fix the problem. I will know in a couple of hours if the electric element is fried. It would seem that it worked yesterday and that was why the gas didnt come on right away. After setting all night with no power to it the gas heater came on right away. Extra thanks to Kevin for the depiction. It made all the difference in the world. I guess Ill be coming here often for info and help. Thank you again for all the assistance.

Scott