Pressure Relief valve leaking

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I just flushed and replaced my anode rod. I restarted the water heater and now have the pressure relief valve dripping, (somehwat steady). I "popped" it a couble of times but it continues to drip. Before I replaced the rod I did not notice steady dripping--only once in a while.
Do I need to replace the Presuure valve? Is there something else I should do?
If I do need to replace the pressure valve, what is the correct process.
thanks
al

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Pressure Releif valve leaking

If the tank is overfilled, it can leak until it establishes an air gap at the top of the tank after the water heats up. If it's flowing somewhat steady, I'd guess that the level is very close to the valve. When you refilled the tank, did you have the valve or a faucet open?

Bobby A

I had to replace mine last year, it was all calasified up from hard water, really nothing to change it, I drained the tank first, the hardest part was breaking it loose.

brianharrison

Does it drip when disconnected from shore water and only using your water pump? Your supply may be high if you are not using a water regulator on the shore water.

I have seen my pressure relief "weep" when the water heater heats from cold to hot and no water is withdrawn from the hot water side; expansion pressure.

As mentioned, a calcified releif valve will not reseat fully if popped. Replacing is the easiest.

Brian

GOTTOYS

You can easily replace it with a new one from any of the Home improvement or hardware stores. It isn't an RV specific part. Easiest if you remove the heat shield over the gas burner part for better access, use a little Teflon tape on the threads and be sure to release any water pressure in the water heater to keep from getting a bath. It costs under $10.00...Don

gasman

Camp Socializer
When you replace it be sure to read the tag on the old valve so that you use the same temperature and pressure rating on the new valve. There are several different ratings available but your tank is rated for what the tag on the original valve states.

aatauses

Thanks everyone for the quick repsonse. I did have a faucet open when filling the tank and am currently hooked to shore water, so will check when we leave. I do have a water regulator on the water and have it set for about 40 lbs.
I think I will take your advice and watch it a few days and if it continues to drip will replace it with the correst size and pressure.
Again, thanks, travel safe
al

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

You can easily replace it with a new one from any of the Home improvement or hardware stores. It isn't an RV specific part. Easiest if you remove the heat shield over the gas burner part for better access, use a little Teflon tape on the threads and be sure to release any water pressure in the water heater to keep from getting a bath. It costs under $10.00...Don

I tried replacing the pressure relief valve and ran into several valves that are longer in length and would not fit the depth of the access compartment door area. There were no Home D or Lowes in the area. The Ace Hardware only had the longer valves. I had to go to an RV store for an exact replacement. Make sure you verify the valve you buy is not too long.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

Unless it is leaking alot there probably is not a problem. it is doing what it is supposed to do. Alot of time the seeping is caused by high water pressure on the supply line. Rememeber that if you have high water pressure coming into the camper, heating the water increases the pressure in the tank, causing the pressure release valve to release pressure. I will almost be willing to bet that you either have High water pressure, or you have drained the air bubble from the top of the tank while playing with the valve.