Bug Proofing your Landmark?

wildwolfproducts

Did not check this out when we were looking at the Landmark's. Guessing there like all others, everything is left where bugs can get to everything with a vent? I know here anywhere a Dirt Dobber can get, they stop it up. Be it the furnace, Water Heater, AC fan blades and any small hole they will pack full of dirt buidling there nest.

Did you add factory made screens? Or did you just add screen wire to the inside of all covers to stop bugs from getting ?
Pete

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have done both, have Camco screens over the furnace exhaust. This reminds me, I need to make a new screen for the HWH door vent :).

wildwolfproducts

I have done both, have Camco screens over the furnace exhaust. This reminds me, I need to make a new screen for the HWH door vent :).

Did you use normal wire cloth for the screen on your hot water heater? I used the black soft type of all spots that did not have heat coming out. Used hot glue gun to spot weld it in place.
Pete

Hello, I am a newbie and trying to add screens on all openings. The dealer told me I should place screen on refrigerator vents because it may restrict air flow too much and affect operation of refrigerator. Has anyone experienced this?

jimtoo

Hi DaveJordan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You hear comments both ways, some say yea,, some say nae. I have never had a problem with bugs and we live in South Texas with lots of bugs. Air circulation is very important to the good operation of the fridge and also your water heater. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions.

Enjoy the forum and think of joining the Heartland Owners Club.

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello, I am a newbie and trying to add screens on all openings. The dealer told me I should place screen on refrigerator vents because it may restrict air flow too much and affect operation of refrigerator. Has anyone experienced this?

I had Camco screens on my outside furnace vents. When I took it in for service, the tech removed them for the reason you stated.

Ironically I had purchased them at their parts department. I left them off with no infestation problems, so far.

Someone suggested putting pet flea collars behind the refer and in areas where excessive heat is not a factor. Trace

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Dave,

Many owners have had problems with refrigerator's cooling well enough in hot climates and air circulation at the vents is critical to the fridge cooling properly. So depending on how hot it is where you camp, you might get be able to install screens and still keep your food cold.

However, if the airflow is sufficiently blocked by a screen and the back of the fridge gets too hot, I'm pretty sure the Dometics have an overtemp sensor that shuts the unit down to prevent damage to the cooling unit. Unfortunately, if you trigger this, it locks in the overtemp state and it takes a visit to a dealer tech to get the cooling unit unlocked. I think Norcold has a similar setup on at least some of their refrigerators.

So screens on the fridge might not be a good idea.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I too have dirt dobber problems where we live. Thank goodness we go north before they get too bad during the summer. I replaced the cheap cloth screen off of the door of our sundance and I still have it. I put the cheap cloth screen in the doors to the HW Tank and fridge. I just wedge it there when we are storing. When we get ready to leave I pull it out. That way I don't have to worry about "air restriction". Just an Idea and it works for me.