What to pack?

TXTiger

I don't have a rig yet but am almost ready to make the purchase. I am new to RVing and am looking at a fifth wheel toy hauler. I am planning on traveling on the road for a couple of months at a time and eventually going full time. I am traveling alone. Was just wondering what to pack as most of the Cyclone's I am looking at have lots of storage space. Lawn chairs, pick-nic table, BBQ, hoses, tools, lader, extension cords etc. Would love to see a list of "have to have on board" items you all think I should have on board. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My best advise is to buy stuff slowly. Buy stuff that you need...ie....clothes, undies, socks, a heavy and light weight jacket maybe even a rain jacket. Light weight pots and pans, plastic glasses, plastic plates, a cheap set of silverware. Towels, tooth brush, tooth paste, razor you get the picture by now. We always leave this stuff in the BH and only buy fresh stuff for the trip. Find canned foods on sale and leave them in the coach. Look for deals on a few folding recliners and 4' folding table. In other words, what you have in your sticks and bricks only less and smaller. Your best bet is a Wal-Mart if you have one near. DON'T buy lots of stuff. Keep a note pad and make a list everytime you go out if you find you need something. BTW, Wal-Mart has the same stuff as Camping World only cheaper.

A "Weber Q" BBQ is the best one for a RV.

Tools and some electrical repair stuff is a must. A good tire pressure gauge.

A good heavy duty extension cord is a must.

Buy plastic totes to keep stuff in and label them as to whats in them ( clear ones are even better).

Get 1 or 2 more "white" water hoses and a good water pressure regulator.

Get GOOD sewer drain hoses. A 20' and a 10'. Ya just never know what you will need. Wheel chocks and plastic leveling blocks.

This list should get you started. You will find as you go out....you will see "STUFF" other people have or use. JUST DON'T go buy it cause you think it's neat. Not everything you see will work for you. I know other people will chime in on this.

Good luck and happy camping. You might even come to a SOCAL rally and we can help ya get the stuff you need and give some you sage advice on things.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One thing I'd recommend is to not get plastic plates and get Corningware instead. They're pretty robust, microwaveable, and won't hold grease and stains like plastic will. First time you cut your tasty BBQ steak on a soft plastic plate, you'll wish you hadn't. You can find them fairly inexpensive in kitchen stores at outlet malls. We also don't use plastic glassware, either. We use can skoozies and rubber drawer liner to protect our glassware while in transit and haven't lost one yet.

For cooking, a good set of kitchen knives, spatulas, spoons, etc. is essential, along with BBQ utensils. Cheap cookware usually ends up being expensive trash, so don't go too skimpy there, either.

rick_debbie_gallant

1. Take half the amount of clothes you will think you will need. I bet I have enough cloths to wear for a good two weeks without having to do the laundry, (I mean DW) I only wore 4 different pair of shorts, in six months. I wore bluejeans twice. I took I dont how many pair of Shoes, six pair I think. I may have worn 2 pair, maybe.

UNDERWEAR, I took about 12 pair of those. Sometimes had to change them a couple of times a day. This next season I will only take 5 pair and a couple boxes of those female pad thingies that the gals use. Only I will use them on the back side. I hate skid marks!

2. Don't over do the pots and pans. There are only two of you and only a small three burner stove.

3. Don"t over do the number of dishes you take. There are only two of you. If you do have company over get out the good throw away dishes or have them bring their own service.

4. Dont pack a lot of canned goods. Just extra weight to carry. You can buy your canned goods when you get close to where you are going.

5. be careful of how many tools you take, etc. Dont ask me why but I have 3 complete socket sets, three drills, 2 axes, two hammers, two complete sets of drills, a dremel tool with drill press, two spare jacks, ump-teen screwdriver bits, and drivers to fit them, three different sets of combination wrenchs, 24 feet of 3/8th inch chain, etc, etc, etc... you get the point.. Heck I could start a hardware store with what I carry, or else a tool rental store.

6. I also carried about 200 feet of white hose. Why? I dont have an answer, I did. I carried 40 feet of sewer trout raceway. Why? I dont know, I did.

7. Lawn chairs? Ya I had two "heavy lounge chairs" 2 bag chairs and 4 or 5 director chairs. This next year I will pack 1 lounge chair and two director chairs. I could go on and on but I think you get the point. It took me 5 years to figure it out. Learn from my errors and if ya need it go borrow it, or visit your friendly hardware store.

8: Fishing gear. Unless you have a really favorite pole and reel leave it home and buy one or two or three at the first yard sale you get to for a couple of bucks. If you are by any kind of water there will be tons of them.

Well I think that about covers it. If I think of anything else to either take or leave home I will add to. Now if I just follow my own advice in a couple of months.

Gaffer

Like any other travel. Take half the clothes you think you need and twice the money. Plenty of socks and underwear though.

olcoon

UNDERWEAR, I took about 12 pair of those. Sometimes had to change them a couple of times a day. This next season I will only take 5 pair and a couple boxes of those female pad thingies that the gals use. Only I will use them on the back side. I hate skid marks!
Over & above TMI!!!:rolleyes:

Just remember that whatever you pack should have multiple uses. Here's just one example.

That looks like something I need to get! DW & I were talking about getting getting a small table, I think that would be a lot better!!! Wonder if they have RV spaces at the Possum Lodge?

Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job.

rick_debbie_gallant

That looks like something I need to get! DW & I were talking about getting getting a small table, I think that would be a lot better!!! Wonder if they have RV spaces at the Possum Lodge?

oops, my bad, it slipped. come to think of it I like your idea about the duct tape and a little piece of a disposable diaper. Oops darn typewriter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Probably do, right on top of the toxic waste landfill. You will really like the view over the multi-colored waters. I think the name of the campground is Rothchild's Lagoon.