Front Cap Fading

jwalker1

I have a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD and the front cap is starting to fade pretty bad at the top (around the roof area) and about 1/4 of the way down. Haven't been to the coast at all with the unit and have only had it for 2 years in May. Also, the rubber molding around the roof on the non-door side has come off and flipped up onto the roof. I wouldn't think these things are normal for a 2 year old RV. We wash it all the time. Any ideas on how to get rid of the fading? TIA for any ideas.

TwoGypsies

We've only been using our 2011 for about a year but the build date was April 2010. We wax the cap with automotive wax and it's holding up well, although the decals are starting to deteriorate a bit.
I just noticed you have the HD; ours is the standard white. I've read some success stories with a product called RedMax Pro, but haven't used it myself. You can research it on RV.net and make up your own mind as there are some detractors.

rvn4fun

Our Big Country was sold to us as a 2011 but on the serial number plate it says 2009, has faded really bad on the front cap. All our moulding has fallen off, we replaced it all by ourselves, Heartland supplied some of it. Now all the window mouldings have shrunk and the assist handle by the door, the rubber on it where you grip your hand to get in has about deterioted. We have tried everything on the front cap fading, finally we had a rv body man look at it and he said the paint was poor and it needed to be repainted. We are in Yuma in the winter months and they have every rv service and experts here to talk with ect. Guess we just took it the shorts when we bought it, our 10 year old rv that we traded in, was in better shape on the outside then our NEW one is now. Heartland has lost at least two new sales because of this fading problem, we have had two different couples look at ours and really liked it but they both bought other brands because of the poor exterior paint on our Heartland product.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Big Country was sold to us as a 2011 but on the serial number plate it says 2009, has faded really bad on the front cap. All our moulding has fallen off, we replaced it all by ourselves, Heartland supplied some of it. Now all the window mouldings have shrunk and the assist handle by the door, the rubber on it where you grip your hand to get in has about deterioted. We have tried everything on the front cap fading, finally we had a rv body man look at it and he said the paint was poor and it needed to be repainted. We are in Yuma in the winter months and they have every rv service and experts here to talk with ect. Guess we just took it the shorts when we bought it, our 10 year old rv that we traded in, was in better shape on the outside then our NEW one is now. Heartland has lost at least two new sales because of this fading problem, we have had two different couples look at ours and really liked it but they both bought other brands because of the poor exterior paint on our Heartland product.

You failed to say if you bought it new or used. Also if it looked that bad why did you buy it? If it is new and you are the first owner then it should be in warranty. If so contact Heartland Customer service and have you vin ready.

rvn4fun

We bought it new in December of 2009 at Boerne Texas and our salesman said it had just come in. He had several Big Countrys there but this one was the only one there that had the floor plan we wanted. The paint problem just started showing up this year.

GOTTOYS

Mine is a 2011 that's we bought in the Fall of 2010. Just noticed this Winter that the front cap is starting to fade up near the top. Not sure what to do..should I contact Heartland and see if they will help, or wait until it gets worse? It doesn't show up in pictures real good at this point but it's on it's way. If the front has started can the back one be far behind.? It's my understanding these caps are not painted. It's the gel-coat that is fading from a lack of a UV inhibitor in it. I saw a couple of them while in TX that were almost white from the fading. It's disappointing to see this happening at the least. Makes an almost new trailer that we take a lot of pride in look like it's getting old. Any opinions?..Don

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Scary comments to say the least! Our 3450TS is a 2011 also with a 2009 build date on the placard. The day I got it I applied Rejex to both the front and rear caps. Hope this helps with the fading issue! I continue to apply it three or four times a year...so far, so good! I am currently in the process of removing all the sealant as it is beginning to look quite weathered and chalk. It does take a lot of work to keep our toys looking like new!

jdfishing

I just finished an extensive process to get rid of the oxidation on the front and rear caps of my 2007 Bighorn. WARNING: It is labor intensive. I always waxed those caps twice a year with a "cleaner wax", but the oxidation continued to worsen. I used a four step process I got from an auto detailer. The products are not available from your local automotive store. Basically, steps 1 & 2 are rubbing compounds, step 3 is a sealer and 4 is a final coat of carnuba wax. I then added a coat of "Rejex". You could probably substitute the Rejex for the final coat of wax, but I purchased the Rejex after I applied the wax. I used a buffer in all the steps. Result: It looks better now than it did new. The decal jumps out at you. What I don't know, is how long it will continue to look good. I plan to use a "spray on, wipe off" auto detailer a couple times a year and hope for the best. I will not repeat this process anytime soon. My body says so.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Mark just did the front cap yesterday with this new stuff he bought online. It came out looking like new and didn't take as many steps as John had to take.

Wash as usual, then YBP-0101 Buff Magic Can - 22 oz., then Rejex.

The Buff Magic worked so well, he came in and ordered more today. He saved a couple of bucks by getting it on Amazon this time. He used a buffer with both products and is quite pleased with the results. Now he doing the whole thing. We'll be all bright and shiny for Gillette.

Kristy

Lynn1130

I think Rejex says to get all of the wax and other things off of the surface before applying. I would have to look to be sure. In any event our Cyclone is in covered storage but the endcap gets some sun. I used Rejex on that and will probably be doing it again in a few months. It says that it is good for a year but I guess a reapply would not hurt considering the AZ sun.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I think Rejex says to get all of the wax and other things off of the surface before applying.

From Rejex website...

RejeX can be used over existing wax; however, the duration of protection will be reduced as the softer underlying wax degrades comparatively quickly. There is no reason to wax over RejeX. As we’ve already said, RejeX leaves a shinier, longer-lasting finish than wax… and the wax can't adhere well to RejeX! While RejeX will certainly work over wax and give you the benefits of enhanced gloss, superior protection for your paint and rejection of stains, it’s better to put RejeX right on top of the paint. Waxes are typically much softer and less durable than RejeX. When RejeX is put on top of wax – even though RejeX will protect and extend the life of the wax – eventually the wax will degrade. When that occurs, the RejeX protection will wash off with the old wax (since in this case RejeX is bonded to the wax rather than directly to the paint). To get full longevity out of the product, use RejeX instead of wax.

Vtxkid

I've discussed the fading of the grey 2011 HD models with Heartland reps at the RV show recently and they said that their is no fix for the gel coat front caps that will make the oxidized area go away except to have it painted. He told me to call Heartland Customer service and explain my concern. Since then, I've seen where a few RV owners have been approved to take the RV to the dealer and the caps were painted at no charge.
PS. The Heartland Rep also told me they only paint the caps on their newer models...

jdfishing

I put the Rejex over a coat of wax because I just busted by butt putting it on and wasn't about to take it off right away. When it starts looking bad, I'll remove it and just go with the Rejex. Hey Ziggy, Mark told me about the Rejex but kept the Buff Magic a secret. I think I'll get a can and try it. If it's easier, I'm all for it.

neilandnanci

We just got approval to have our 2011 BC cap repainted and now it looks as good as new, thanks to the factory approval.
Neil and Nanci
Proud owners of a 2011 Big Country 3500RL

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
He really likes the Buff Magic and it made the surface really nice to apply the Rejex,
Kristy

Loco

Wax it every year. We have 2007 Cyclone and I have always waxed the front twice a year for the last 6 years. Still looks great!

FRANKV

Between the fading/oxidization, deteriorating seals/caulking, and weathering of the black plastic trim I'm wondering if we're not better off to cover our RVs whenever possible (I know some people have had their covers put wear on the rubber roof). We recently bought a "new" 2011 that was built in Aug 2010 and had been sitting on the dealer's lot. Still under warranty and we're gonna keep a close eye on the front/rear caps in particular, but I'm about to put the first coat of Rejex on later today to hopefully prevent any issues.