Unusual Propane Experience

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Had an unusual exoerience with my propane tanks yesterday. Last week I had one of my tanks filled (the ODS side), put it back on the trailer and tested it. I switched the regulator from completely off to select the ODS tank and everything worked fine (stove lit, furnace ran, HWH lit up, reefer ran). I then removed the DS tank to get it filled. Yesterday I noticed that the ODS tank was showing "No Fuel" (I have pressure guages on both tanks) even though shut-off valve was fully open. I could tell it was still full though because of the weight. I thought that maybe the pressure guage was bad, so I removed it, but nothing would lite up. I noticed an odor of propane though near the DS tank area (remember - I had removed this tank, so there was nothing in there). Upon closer inspection, I could actually feel gas coming out on the line. I went back to the ODS side and turned the regulator to the "off" position and the leaking propane on the DS side quit. I then turned the regulator back to ODS tank and re-checked the DS side - leak had quit. I let the propane dissapate, fully aired out the trailer, and then re-tested the appliance. Everything was now working perfectly. Turned the ODS tank off, reinstalled my pressure guage, opened the valve, and now I was getting a full reading. So, what do you think? Bad regulator? Just stuck, but now working? If the regulator was bad, or stuck closed at first, shouldn't the pressure valve on the tank still have been giving me a full reading initially? I'm contemplating installing a new regulator just in case, even though everything appears to be working now.:confused:

Rodbuster

Hi Gus,

This is what I would do.
Take the rest of the month off. You and Debra jump in the RV and come down to Florida for a few weeks.
That should take care of all your problems.

Your friendly expert RV technician.
Dick

boatto5er

Dick - you nailed it! I SO WISH we could do that. Reality is just not quite there yet. However, we are contemplating coming down for two weeks (or a little longer) next February for the Tampa RV show. Will definitely want to stop by and see you and Fran if you are home then (or maybe meet up at the show).

jbeletti

Dick - you nailed it! I SO WISH we could do that. Reality is just not quite there yet. However, we are contemplating coming down for two weeks (or a little longer) next February for the Tampa RV show. Will definitely want to stop by and see you and Fran if you are home then (or maybe meet up at the show).

Gus,

The 2013 Florida RV SuperShow is January 16-20 (link)

Hope you and Deb can make it!

Jim

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Had an unusual exoerience with my propane tanks yesterday. Last week I had one of my tanks filled (the ODS side), put it back on the trailer and tested it. I switched the regulator from completely off to select the ODS tank and everything worked fine (stove lit, furnace ran, HWH lit up, reefer ran). I then removed the DS tank to get it filled. Yesterday I noticed that the ODS tank was showing "No Fuel" (I have pressure guages on both tanks) even though shut-off valve was fully open. I could tell it was still full though because of the weight. I thought that maybe the pressure guage was bad, so I removed it, but nothing would lite up. I noticed an odor of propane though near the DS tank area (remember - I had removed this tank, so there was nothing in there). Upon closer inspection, I could actually feel gas coming out on the line. I went back to the ODS side and turned the regulator to the "off" position and the leaking propane on the DS side quit. I then turned the regulator back to ODS tank and re-checked the DS side - leak had quit. I let the propane dissapate, fully aired out the trailer, and then re-tested the appliance. Everything was now working perfectly. Turned the ODS tank off, reinstalled my pressure guage, opened the valve, and now I was getting a full reading. So, what do you think? Bad regulator? Just stuck, but now working? If the regulator was bad, or stuck closed at first, shouldn't the pressure valve on the tank still have been giving me a full reading initially? I'm contemplating installing a new regulator just in case, even though everything appears to be working now.:confused:

Gus, ours does that too, the switchover valves are leaking thru. I had the same experience but have never done anything to fix it. I just shut down both bottles when I fill up so the other doesnt leak out.

boatto5er

There's an ad on the RV show website for a 4 day/3 night special at Whisper Creek RV resort during the show. Do you know anything about that park?

Hmmm, on investigation, looks a little far away.

hillsonwheels

Whisper Creek is a nice park. Ms Reta and I stayed there during the Labelle swamp cabbage festival. (No lie!) They are still trying to sell spots in a new area of the park. We enjoyed our stay. Owners are nice folks. Even met someone from WV. ;) But it is a far piece from Seffner! Would not like to make a daily drive out of it. Had enuff commuting from southern MD to northern VA when working. :mad:

Sure glad that is over with. :cool:

Dick

donr827

You can put your name on a waiting list at Lazydays. I have done this for the past 4 years and have gotten a site every year. They block off a number of sites for rv clubs and when the club does not use all of the sites they release the sites to the waiting list.
Don

boatto5er

Whisper Creek is a nice park. Ms Reta and I stayed there during the Labelle swamp cabbage festival. (No lie!) They are still trying to sell spots in a new area of the park. We enjoyed our stay. Owners are nice folks. Even met someone from WV. ;) But it is a far piece from Seffner! Would not like to make a daily drive out of it. Had enuff commuting from southern MD to northern VA when working. :mad:

Sure glad that is over with. :cool:

Dick

This "Swamp Cabbage Festival" thing intrigues me!;)

You can put your name on a waiting list at Lazydays. I have done this for the past 4 years and have gotten a site every year. They block off a number of sites for rv clubs and when the club does not use all of the sites they release the sites to the waiting list.
Don

Thanks Don - I will probably do that.