Help! Satellite now working in BH Bedroom

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We've tried everything and nothing works. I've checked to make sure the connections are correct but I still cannot "see" the satellites from the bedroom. The Dish folks say it has to be in the wiring of our bedroom since the living room works and both receivers work.

Any suggestions?

jbeletti

Hi Jeff and Joy,

Tell us more as to how you are connecting things up for the bedroom and where the bedroom receiver is and such.

Here's what I can tell you now though:
  • Assuming you are connecting an output from the dish into the UDC, there will be a line from the UDC to a wall plate in the bedroom (somewhere - likely a passthrough connector on the antenna wall plate
  • There should not be any splitters in the line anywhere
This said, start at the wall plate in the bedroom where you are connecting your bedroom satellite receiver. Pull that wall plate off the wall or ceiling. Look behind the plate:

1. Is there a connector on a cable connecting to the F81 barrel splice in the wall plate, where your receiver jumper was connected to?
  2. Unscrew the connector from the F81 and inspect it. Does the connector appear to be crafted properly? Note the color of the coax cable (white, gray, black)
  3. Now, you need to know which connection in the UDC is the other end of the bedroom satellite line. One of the wall plates in the UDC may be marked Bedroom Sat. Pull that wall plate off the UDC wall. Are their cables connecting to the F81 barrel splice in the wall plate?
  4. Unscrew the connector(s) (both if there are 2 lines) from the F81 and inspect it. Does the connector appear to be crafted properly? Note the color of the coax cable (white, gray, black). Do either match the color in the bedroom.
This is all I can tell you at this point. Would be nice if you have a way to trace the lines to know which line in the UDC is the Sat line in the bedroom. Do you have any sort of tone/tracing tools? Even if it's for electric wires.

Jim

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We had the same problem. We connected direct to the sat reciever in the BR from the dish and it worked. We then connected to other jacks in the UDC and established we were wired wrong in the trailer. We relabeled the jacks and left the trailer wiring alone.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I have done on both of our BH's.
When that satellite coax leaves the bedroom it goes somewhere other than directly to the UDC.
I looked for the bunch of wires that go down to the basement and found the coax for the satellite.
I cut it off and added an F connector and barrel connector, then added a new piece of coax and ran that from the barrel connector straight over to the UDC plug behind the wall.
Worked for me.

Peace
Dave

FARMER45

Take a long coax cable hook it up to sat in bed room run it down and out the door to the umc. Then take a ohm meter, you can test all the hookups there, there should only be a reading only on one, that one will go to the bed room, one may be labeled wrong.
i just found out my cable tv and antenna coax were backwards at the booster

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A simple way to check the cable for continuity and that the connection in the UDC is the one to the bedroom or living room is to take a paper clip and straighten one leg out. Insert the end into the hole in the cable connection in the UDC and clamp the other end to the threads. In the bedroom, insert another paper clip into the connection there, but do not make contact with the threads. Using an ohmmeter, check for resistance. If the meter drops to zero ohms, the connections are on the same cable line.

I had to do this to figure out which was which on my rig, since they weren't labelled. It should also help identify if there is a problem with "correctly" labelled connectors.