replacing electric hot water element

I have recently had a problem with my electric hot water element and intend to replace it. The element is a 1440w in a Suburan 10 gallon unit. My local hardware store only carries a 1500 watt replacement. Can anyone advise if this will work or if I have to find a 1400 watt replacement. Thanks in advance.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I remember reading in a previous post that getting a higher rated element might overheat the wiring and the controller. That was based on someone wanting to replace a 1440 with a 2000. 1500 might be close enough, but I think I would make sure to buy the exact replacement part myself. (also be careful that the element is 120v and not 240 volt)

hoefler

That element will draw an additional .5 amp. For a total of 12.5 amps, if your on a 15 amp breaker, you will be OK.

57chevyconvt

Have replaced several 1440 watt element with 1500 watt element. Without any problem. From a cold start, I normally run the gas heater along with the electric element for a quicker heat up cycle. In so doing, this may or maynot reduce the initial load on the electric element, second thought probably not. Lowe's or HD have the 1500 watt - 120 volt element, they are slightly shorter in length than the 1440 watt element.

FARMER45

I have found the 1400 watt at ace hardware, if they don't carry it you can order it on line and pick it up at your local store no shipping that way