What size truck to pull Big Country 3690sl

fotoman54

Hi All,
We have come down to the 5th wheel we want now how do I size the right truck for the 5th wheel. Is there a certain formula that everyone has used to make sure you get enough truck for the 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is the Heartland Big Country 3690sl specs below.

GVWR
15,500 lbs
Dry Weight
12,466 lbs
Hitch Weight
1,980 lbs

I am lookig at either Chevy 250 or 350 or Ford F250 or F350 for the tow truck.

Thanks

jimtoo

HI fotoman54,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I personally would choose the 1 ton and a dually. I don't think you can ever have to much truck.

I'm sure you will get lots more opinions.

I am also moving the thread to the truck area.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mmomega

AnyTimer
I would definitely choose the 350/3500 series as well.
The actual weight delivered will be more than what specs are shown on HL's site and you want more truck than you need. Now whether that is a dually or not is up to you but a 1 ton for sure. The price difference is small compared to the piece of mind you'll have afterwards knowing you have plenty of breathing room where weight/legalities

IMHO the rear axle numbers are your most important ones to keep in mind. If you don't exceed this, 9 times out of 10 you will not exceed the trucks GVWR or the GCWR. The ones below are for the Fords and GM has very similar numbers, maybe 100-200lbs different. This is usually my easy formula to remember. Weigh the truck, remember the rear axle number then add your pin weight to that and anything else you add to the trailer or truck will add to more weight on that rear axle....washer dryer, generators, everything added to the basement, aux fuel tank in bed of the truck, etc.

Axle Rating6200 lbs. (F-250);
(at ground)7280 lbs. (F-350 SRW);
9750 lbs. (F-350 DRW);

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We pull a 3670RL Bighorn (16000+ lbs) with an F450. We looked long and hard at all the trucks (Dodge, Chevy, Ford). We chose the F450 because of its pulling capacity and braking power...we live in Colorado and 3 of the 4 directions we can go in are uphill, and that's leaving...if we want to come home it's uphill no matter what:)!! And then there's the "downhill thrill" with steep % grades to add to the equation:eek:...Considering the GVWR of the Big Country the 2500 and F250 don't seem to be options. In checking the criteria for the 3500 and the F350 they are both on the upper end of max capacity for towing something like the Big Country. I see you live in Washington state...consider all that is possible when you are towing that brut. Safety is important but don't forget about checking with your insurance company about the coverage of a bigger truck...some companies consider them "commercial" no matter what. Good luck!

rick_debbie_gallant

Started out pulling our 3670 with a 2500 dodge. Pulled great, loved the exhaust brake. We traded that in for a 3500 dodge dully. Same engine, drive train etc. Feel more stable with the dually on the axles. One good thing about the dodge I like is not needing to worry about the urea tank. Just my three cents.

KiwiRVer

We have a 3690SL and are pulling it with an F350 SRW. Don't have any particular issues although I am going to upgrade the pinbox to Mor/Ryde to improve the ride. Wouldn't touch a DRW just because, in my opinion, they are far too wide and, as our truck is also our daily driver, ( we are half timers) it would just be too much for general driving.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

i sent you a PM with some information that may be helpful! You're going to love that Big Country!

Best Wishes!

GVWR of 1 ton truck is actually higher with SRW and 2WD. I run a 2WD SRW 2005 Dodge 3500 Diesel and tow 2011 Bighorn 3800 BH whose gross weight tips the scale bit over 16,000# with no problems. My best advice to you is to add airbags (either Airlift or Firestone) and equip the rig with Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. Will improve your stability and ride significantly. 2WD is also a good reminder to keep you out of the mud and snow as well!

Wharton

We pull with a International MDT 4700, have for 12 years, love it. Never a question about stopping or pulling, no worries about weight capacity either.

VKTalley

Craig: I've narrowed it down to the 3690SL -- I have a few questions for a current owner, do you have an email I can send you my questions?

My email: steven.borba.usn@gmail.com

Steve

Hi Steve, I am the other half of the "Traveling Talleys". Welcome to the Heartland Owners site! Malcolm and I have a 2002 Ford F-350 dually that we will be using more with our 3690. Our first trip (bringing the RV home), the truck did just fine towing. Feel free to send more questions our way as you think of them.

rick_debbie_gallant

We tow our big horn 3670 with dodge 3500 DRW. 2008 with the 6.7. Also pulled with the same trailer with a dodge 2500 and the 6.7.both trucks pulled it just fine. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbls59

Definetly go with at least a 1 ton. While a SRW will handle the load, a dually is much more stable. Tow with a dually and you will never go back to a SRW.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pull our big country 3650 with an dodge 3500 srw without any problems. Truck doesn't know the coach is back there. We did add airbags to help level the bed a little more even.