Fulltiming with a Big Country 3690sl

fotoman54

What makes a full time rv vs a snowbirding rv? The Big Country 3690 is the rv of choice for us but would love to hear from people who have been full timing in there Big Country. What are the pros and cons for this brand.

Thanks

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When looking for a full-time RV there are several things to look for in my mind.
1 - Since you will be living in it year round where do you spend the winter and summer (the extreme seasons). If you are in an area subject to freezing is the rv 4 season rated i.e. is the underbelly and tanks heated. If they are not they are subject to freezing and breaking as are the water lines. On the flip side if you spend tyour summers in high heat i.e. 100 plus is your coach insulated well enough to keep it cool and does it have two air conditioners.

2. How much storage space does it have. Since you carry everything you own with you, how many clothes do you need. Remember the 4 seasons as 4 seasons of clothes takes up much space. Do you dress up, as formal clothes take up more space. What about cleaning the clothes. Do you use laundries or do you want your own washer/dryer?

3. Do you travel with children or not. If so you need space for them (more clothes, toys, sleeping space etc).

4. How often do you go to the store for food. How much food storage space do you need.

I could go on but let me conclude by saying look at your lifestyle and your needs. Many can get away with a travel trailer without a heated or enclosed under belly, but many need the 4 season type coach. One of the first things we look at is how much closet space does it have and dresser space. How big is the basement. Also we do not dry camp so we don't need a generator so that frees up more basement space. And before you jump in head first ask plenty of questions of others who full-time. Good luck.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The above post ask some good questions about your lifestyle and what you might use the coach for. The nice thing about the Big Country is that it's now rated for full timing. That is one reason we went back with another Big Country. Oh - by the way, it sounds like you're not a newbie. Good luck.

caissiel

We have been full timing for 7 years, 3 years in the BC. The unit after 3 years and 15kk miles looks as good as the day we bought it.
We carry 2 kayaks under the trailer. 2 guitars and sound amplifier equipment, satelite dish, hobby stuff, all my tools and DW sewing kit and sewing machine, 1 desktop PC, and 2 portable PCs, 3 TVs. And we have 4 season clothes and all the standard everyday stuff.
There you go we are very comfortable and do not keep things behind.
Oh I forgot the 16ft kayak on the truck and the 2 bikes on the rear trailer hitch

I choose the BC for simple design that can take wear and storage capacity with W/D in the bath and living area. We had the same layout in the previous layout as the W/D location was very important to us.

KiwiRVer

We have a 3690SL which we half time in. Unless you have a particular attachment to the outside bistro I would suggest you not take that option as without it it does provide a lot of extra storage space. Apart from that the 3690SL does have an extraordinary amount of storage space and if you open up the bulkheads in the main storage compartment you will find even more unused space.