Diesel Additives

Looking for suggestions for fuel additives to supplement the new low sulphur diesel. Anyone have a favorite?

Jerry
F250 7.3L

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I don't use additives but through my many hours of reading, Stanadyne and Diesel Kleen seem to be the most popular. Diesel Kleen I think wins out because most Wally Worlds carry it and easy to get. ---Ken

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Power service (gray bottle) with MMO. Three parts PS to one part MMO. Dose at a rate of 3/4 oz mixture per gal of fuel. Have better idle (smooth) and improved fuel mileage!

kodiakken

Diesel additive

I drive a 2002 Ford F250 with a 7.3 Power Stroke and I have been adding about a quart of 2 cycle oil to each tank of fuel. I have been doing this since shortly after buying the truck two years ago. It runs a lot smoother and seems to have more power with the two cycle oil. Make sure it says 'ashless' on the container. Costs about $8 a gallon at Walmart.

I read about adding 2 cycle oil on an internet forum when I first bought my truck. A lot people wrote that it worked for them so I figured what the heck, I'll try it. Glad I did. It's supposed to help keep the injectors lubed. Research some of the diesel forums before you try 2 cycle oil on your rig. I seem to remember reading that it helps older engines more than the newer ones that are designed for the lower sulfer fuels.

Ken Gordon
Fairbanks, Alaska

CrazyScotsman

I drive a 2005 Ford F350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke, in it I use Motor Kote it is sold at Flying J's or on line at Motorkote.com. it comes in a 8 ounce bottle and I use a third of a bottle per tank in my 38 gallon tank.
I have been using it for over a year now. Also they have a product that you put in your engine every fourth oil change. My MPG improved slightly using this product. It is not cheap, around $20 for the 8 oz bottle of fuel treatment. The stuff you put in your engine is around $90 a gallon.( I am not associated with this company any in shape or form )
I heard about this product on a late night truckers talk show on XM radio.
Cheers Ken

dewwood

You might want to check where you buy your fuel, the place I usually buy mine is not selling the low sulfur. They have a notice on the pumps warning about using their fuel in 2007 and later model year vehicles. I have a 2006 so am ok without adding anything.

Last edited:

rideblue

I would think if there was a notice on the pump, as stated in the last post, then the fuel would be ultra low sulfur diesel. Back when the new fuel came out, I saw a report on diesel fuel additives with different products rated to their lubricity effectiveness. I was shocked to see that some products can even make it worse. Diesel Kleen and Stanadyne were almost at the top of the list. Biodiesel was at the top of the list. 2- stroke oil was down pretty far but still was in the "can help" category. Personally I use B5 biodiesel. When I'm travelling and it is unavailable I put in Diesel Kleen.

PUG

Pug
Diesel Fuel Additives

I Personally Use Stanadyne As It Ranked Higher On The Lubricity Study Conducted By A Private Firm. There Are A Couple Rated Higher But Hard To Find And Expensive. Do A Search On The Internet On diesel Fuel Lubricity Study.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Diesel Fuel Additives

Has anyone ever used Power PS Service with slick Diesel by Power Service Products, Weatherford TX
A local trucker told me that is all he uses. Your comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Wayne

CrazyScotsman

Has anyone ever used Power PS Service with slick Diesel by Power Service Products, Weatherford TX
A local trucker told me that is all he uses. Your comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Wayne

I used to use PS in my 6.0 never had any problems with it, plus used use it in my OTR trucks. Now I use Motor Kote.//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've used Diesel Kleen w/cetane+ but not all the time. I can tell a slight difference and it even sounds quieter. Too bad I get lazy at times and don't use it regularly.

Netem

The last I checked Stanadyne was the only thing GM approved using. You have to understand these new high tech deisels are not the same as the ones in most big trucks and farm equip.

Cirrus

I have always used a fuel supplement since day one. I personally don't notice a better idle or increased MPG -or maybe just a very slight increase.............but I use it for lubricity. The FCU on my truck has a final output pressure of about 25000 PSI and anything that we use to make the fuel more "slippery" = lubricity has to be a good thing to minimize the wear on the injectors. I like Stanadyne but I have trouble finding it so I used Power Service, although as the study shows- bio fuel is one of the best things to use for increased lubricity. My owners manual says that I don't have to use anything, but I like to...just for the peace of mind!

cmart

Well up until I had to replace a fuel filter because of water accumulation I had never used any kind of a supplement. Now I use the Diesel Kleen w/cetane and so far so good. Water accumulates after time if there is nothing to disperse it, so I'm hoping the Diesel Kleen will solve this problem. I also keep my tank filled to the max as much as I can during off use as to prevent condensation.