ice maker Dometic Ref

patmcd

Have ran several times and cannot get a chemical taste out of the ice. So bad it actually irritates the mouth and throat. Anyone have a solution?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The only suggestion I can think of is to install an inline water filter in the basement area where the water line starts. I do know there is a lining in the ice cube tray that can wear off and cause the cubes to stick but I don't know if that might cause other problems. If you do install a filter, be sure to flush the line through the filter to flush out the loose charcoal stuff.

kadward

Bad tasting ice

Were you able to fix your problem with your ice maker? Our ice taste horrible. We have done everything we can think of to fix the problem but nothing has helped. Any suggestions?

jpmorgan37

kadward;

You didn't say what "everything" you had done, so I would start by flushing the system throughly at least 10 times, that is, let it make ice, dump it, make more ice, dump it and so on. Even if the water source tastes good as drinking water, it may taste and smell a bit unpleasant when frozen into ice cubes. A water filter can reduce the taste and odor problems. Ice cubes also pick up odors from the inside of the freezer and refrigerator--especially from open food containers. To minimize that problem, empty the ice cube bin from time to time, and start with a fresh set of ice cubes before each camping trip. Hope this helps.

John

kadward

ice maker

We have had our 5th wheel since December and have been dumping the ice every other day since then. We rinse out the ice container each time also so that it does not 'hold' the bad taste. We have flushed the water tank with a solution of bleach followed by vinegar. But still to no avail. The ice still tastes like rubber hose. At this point, I do not know what else to try. It is ashame to have an ice maker that you cannot use.

jpmorgan37

kadward;

I agree with you on having an ice maker that you can't use. It sounds like you have taken all of the steps necessary to thoroughly clean the system. About the only thing left to try is to install a filter in the line going to the ice maker.

pickuphunt

In our first bighorn 3670 we ordered d it with an ice maker. Didn't use it, had the dealer remove it. Much more space for other frozen items. We traded the 3670 for a 09 3600RL and ordered it without the ice maker. We just freeze ice cubes at home before we leave on a trip and buy ice at campground/stores enroute. WFM (works for me)

ct0218

I have the Dometic side by side w/icemaker and have had no problems. Does your water straight out of the faucet have the same taste? If it does not then, like John said, an icemaker filter ($12-16) should clear it up. If it does taste the same then a whole house filter will work.

kadward

Thank you so much for your help. We have a filter on our water line already and that has not helped. Also, we are fulltimers so freezing the ice before we leave home is not an option. I guess we will just keep dumping the ice until we finally get some that tastes like it should. Again, I really appreciate the suggestions that you gave.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Thank you so much for your help. We have a filter on our water line already and that has not helped. Also, we are fulltimers so freezing the ice before we leave home is not an option. I guess we will just keep dumping the ice until we finally get some that tastes like it should. Again, I really appreciate the suggestions that you gave.

If you are using a whole house filter the sediment fillter will do little to improve water taste. I have a two filter set up , one with the sediment filter and then a charcoal filter. The water taste is virtually the same no matter where we are located. We do not have a frig. ice maker but have a stand alone model and the ice has no unpleasant taste.
I would replace the sediment filter wih a charcoal one , run your water long enough to flush the lines , dump a few more trays of ice and see if it doesn't improve....Ken

Happy Campers

We had the bad taste in our but after dw threw away 15 to 20 cycles of ice cubes it is ok now.You have probably cycled a lot more ice cubes than that so maybe it's time to replace the plastic line from your water source to your freezer.Sorry i have no more info for you.

driver311

water line

the water line to the ice maker is made from the same material as all lines in your unit

driver311NoneNone

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I have a whole house charcoal filter on my 3670 and the ice from the ice maker does not have an unpleasant taste. We've only been out once in the unit, but getting ready to go on a 3 week trip and will see if it continues to taste ok.

Bill