SOLVED: Satellite TV Hookup question?

Nathan

OK, First off, I am sure this is a duplcitous post but I would like to get feedback on my specific question. I have searched the forums on here as well as tv4rv and rv.net, and modmyrv.com.

Here are my questions. 1) Is my new 2012 North Trail 30QOK already wired for both cable/satellite connections? I only have one output on the outside labeled "cable". Can I use this output (and not the amplified booster) to hook my satellite into? Will it work? I don't want to damage my receiver.
2) If this is NOT already wired for satellite can I make a modification to the existing winegard wall plate bypass the ampliefied booster (do I really need to do this)
3) If all else fails I acquired a flat cable from the Directv guy who did the installation on my home and can go through the window (I just rather not if I don't have to)

For equipment I have a standard definition receiver, with a non-HD Directv satellite dish (18") for the RV. I know that I need to change the settings to the 18" dish from what my house has (HD).

I haven't tried to hook up yet becuase I don't want to damage anything. I have read some of these posts and have no idea what you guys are talking about. I don't know what UDC is and why you would go to the basement for your RV.. I am sure this is tecno bable for those of you who understand it but I am not one of those people.

I stopped by the local RV shop and asked about this wall plate (pictured below) from Winegard . The RV dealer told me that in order to use that particular wall plate that I would have to run a seperate cable from the outside to wall plate and then from the wall plate to the receiver. That is WAY to expensive and I don't want to put holes in RV (if I HAVE to do that I will just use the flat cable).
winegard.jpg

Thanks for your help guys! your the best!

Nathan

Re: Satellite TV Hookup question?

I just found this thread and think answered my own post. But if anyone else has any other ideas. That would be great. Thanks

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

First thing, UDC means Universal docking Station. Where all your stuff hooks up to the camper

To answer the rest of your questions,
If the conection is labled "cable" it will not work for Satellite. Satellite feeds have to have a different typ splitter than the ones used for cable and over air tv.

If you dont have connections labeled for satellite then it is not prewired.

Your best bet is going to be go ahead and run you some wires to hook the satelite up.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

You may be able to use a diplexer and a bit of work to create an additional satellite feed without the need for running a new coax. You can use a diplexer to combine and separate the satellite signals. At the coax port on the outside of your coach you can use a diplexer if needed to feed both coax/additional antenna and satellite feeds at the same time. Otherwise just but a single diplexer in at the outlet where the coax feeds into the amplifier. The disconnect the coax and connect it to the input of the diplexer. connect a jumper from the cableTV out back to the amplifier coax input. then feed add an outlet for your satellite reciever to the satellite out of the diplexer. You could potentially feed the output of the satellite receiver back into the cableTV input of amplifier so that the satelite reciever output is fed to all TV outlets in cable tv mode/amplifier off.
You also would have the option of installing an external satellite input near the cable input and permanently installing a diplexer that will allow just connecting the appropriate input to the correct jack.

diplexer.jpg

Attachments

• diplexer.JPG
    diplexer.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Since your rig is not wired for satellite, save yourself some headaches an install ONE OF THESE.
You can run your RG-6 from the dish to this and on the onside connect your receiver.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

Yep, I had to add an external and internal outlet and run a piece of RG6 to my North Trail 26LRSS to hook up my Dish Tailgater. Mine was pretty easy because everything terminates in the space under the drawers in the bedroom. I used the outlet Cookie suggested for the outside and just a standard interior outlet for the receiver.

Nathan

You guys are the best. I appreciate all the feedback.. I spoke with the dealership service department who sold me my Camper. They are an authorized Heartland Dealer. The service guy Mike is aces. He is reporting to me that even though it says "cable" that it is pre-wired to work with my satellite set up as well. As soon as I get a free moment I am gonna check it out to see if it works! I will let you guys know. By the way my dealership was Flagg RV in West Boylston, MA. Thanks again!

Nathan

Ok, I hooked up the Satellite to the reciever directly through a flat cable and I got the Directv to work. I hooked it up to the camper "cable" and I received no signal. So obviously Mike was wrong...That being said i tried looking at what Silverado said and I am unable to follow the schematic cause it is too fuzzy to read as you zoom in. Silverado, can you send me a bigger version of that schematic. Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

There is no way you are ever going to get the satellite signal through the 'Cable' input.
Install the RV TV Cable Inlet.

Peace
Dave

jhardin

Nathan, is that with the amplifier turned off? I have a Dish 500, which you can watch 2 different programs. I feed my satellite wire into the living room labeled satellite (which you don’t have, but follow me on this).That is where I have my receiver mounted and run the coax from satellite into the receiver. On the back of the receiver there is a TV1 and TV2 (or maybe a splitter). TV1 goes to TV in living room, them I run a cable back to cable jack (mounted in RV) from TV2. By doing this, I can watch a different program in bedroom. This being said seems like you could run the flat wire from your satellite (through the side of your slide out maybe) to your TV. If your receiver is for 2 TV’s then back feed to bedroom from the cable jack (the jacks are looped). The amplifier must be turned off. (I believe I have read where all newer RV’s are wired with RG6 wire). Mine works like this. Just my 2 cents worth!:)

Nathan

Jhardin, That is a good idea..And yes my amplifier is turned off. Here is my idea...Let me know if you think this will work. I am going to add a spliter before the amplifier on the "Cable In" This is the coax that is run from the outside of my coach to that wall plate..Then put one end into the wall plate. Run the other end around the amplifier and into the TV 3 which is unused and not amplified. It is "divorced" from the booster. This is what the diagram looks like . Do you think by-passing the booster like this will work?

jhardin

Nathan, it may... I just set mine up and went strictly by trial and error. However I do remember my cable outlet / inlets were marked wrong. I used a volt / ohm meter to figure it out. I do remember the Dish installer telling me I could not run another TV off the main (TV1) though. When I have my amplifier on I get nothing but garbage, turn it off and picture perfect. I am getting ready to go camping tomorrow so I will be hooking mine up (this will refresh my memory) if I have a good view of the satellite birds. Then I will be able to tell you exactly how mine is hooked up. Good luck!
Jerry

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood

Let me try to explain this, as I said before you can not run the satelite throught the CABLE hookup as it is. You can unhook it from the amplifier and it will work if there are no splitters anywhere else in the camper. If there is a splitter somewhere in the wiring you will need to find it (god only knows where they may have put it) Take it out, reconect the wires from the connection to the tv. and it MIGHT work. If you do all of that you have lost the ability to use the over the air antenna, and the cable hookup if you ever need them.

yes, I know, you think that you will never need either of them because you now have satelite for your camper. I promise you that someday you will be camping in a state park or federal park with trees everywhere and you wont be able to get a sat signal. ........ Man I wish I had my roof top antenna.

Or, You are on a long trip and pull into a campground late, like 11 pm. Set up and Your wife says I want to watch the news. ....... man It would be nice to plug into the provided park cable for the night until I set up the satelite tomorrow. If I hadnt unhooked all those connections.

It would be much easier and more benificial for you to run a dedicated wire for your Satelite. Leave the roof top antenna and cable connections intact. be prepared for whatever situation may arise on your camping trip, sit back and have fun.

Just so you know, we carry a HD satelite with 3 recievers, living room, bedroom, and a 42 inch outdoor television. Most of the time we have no problem with the satelitte, but there are some places where it just doesnt work. Some of our favorite places to camp are state parks where you would need atleast 1000 foot of coax to get out from under the trees. Man that roof top antenna works good there.

The coax and connectors are available at Lowes hardware, they dont cost that much. and straight satelite wiring is pretty simple. Anyway, its your rig and your choice, Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and happy camping!

Sandie

We were so concerned about this very issue that we made it a stipulation of our purchase that the dealership make absolutely sure that our fiver was wired for satellite correctly and tested it all before we signed anything...and they did a great job in satisfying us. We have Dish HD turbo and our tv's work independantly from each other off the one receiver in the living area. We would have had no idea on how to fix this...Try calling Direct and have them come out and wire it for you. Dish did that for me on our last one and it worked great.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

I updated my previous image to provide a higher quality diagram that should now be readable.

Basically, By using a diplexer in the cable before the amplifier, You can use one cable to send a signal from the external input to the diplexer. the diplexer will remove a satellite signal and route it to the satellite reciever, and will pass a cable TV signal on to the amplifer if connected to cable instead of satellite. One cable, one external connection. Just for clarification. A diplexer is a special type of splitter that is used specifically for satellite/cable tv/over the air signals to combine and split the signal as needed.

Here is a link to a typical satellite diplexer. There are other types of diplexers available that can handle multiple-cable satellite receivers too

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=D2200&d=Eagle-Aspen-Single-Port-Power-Passive-Diplexer-(D2200)

outside_application_signal_diplexer.jpginside_application_signal_diplexer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

donr827

The instructions that Silverado23 mentioned above is how the tech installed our sat dish on our previous SOB. It worked for us.
Don

Nathan

IT FINALLY WORKS!!!!
OK. Guys.. I did what Silverado said and it works. Park Cable, Antenna and Satellite TV. This is what I did. 1) Hooked Satellite cable directly to receiver to ensure I have a signal. 2) unhooked the cable from the reciever and put it in the park cable hook up. IT did not work. 3) Unscrewed the amplifier and hooked the Satellite cable to the middle wire (Cable).(So, the feed from the LNB is in the "park cable" outlet barrel connected to where the park cable was plugged into the amplifier and ran that to the TV receiver and this worked, so now I have figured out that at least the main feed from the outside to the amplifier will allow me to keep my satellite signal. 4) Run to Radio shack and picked up a Diplexer $21.99(note: they are 11.99 at home depot and I found that out later). 5) hook up diplexer and then run all the cables back to where they were with a jumper now going to the amplifier. 6) Run a new wire from the new connection on the diplexer to the reciever in the main area. I did this because the cable that was run to the TV would not support the satellite connection (go figure). 7) put new wall plate on so it supports the two connection (park cable/satellite). If you need to see pics click here.

Last edited:

DWD

So awesome! Thank you for the instructions and the photo was like icing on the cake :)

Nathan

IT FINALLY WORKS!!!!
OK. Guys.. I did what Silverado said and it works. Park Cable, Antenna and Satellite TV. This is what I did. 1) Hooked Satellite cable directly to receiver to ensure I have a signal. 2) unhooked the cable from the reciever and put it in the park cable hook up. IT did not work. 3) Unscrewed the amplifier and hooked the Satellite cable to the middle wire (Cable).(So, the feed from the LNB is in the "park cable" outlet barrel connected to where the park cable was plugged into the amplifier and ran that to the TV receiver and this worked, so now I have figured out that at least the main feed from the outside to the amplifier will allow me to keep my satellite signal. 4) Run to Radio shack and picked up a Diplexer $21.99(note: they are 11.99 at home depot and I found that out later). 5) hook up diplexer and then run all the cables back to where they were with a jumper now going to the amplifier. 6) Run a new wire from the new connection on the diplexer to the reciever in the main area. I did this because the cable that was run to the TV would not support the satellite connection (go figure). 7) put new wall plate on so it supports the two connection (park cable/satellite). If you need to see pics click here.

Also, to get the signal on all your TV's; Go from you Satellite Box, back into your COAX connection and it will back feed the converted signal to all your TV's.