Lowering Kitchen Cabinet

MTG46

Has anyone looked into lowering the kitchen cabinet above the sink? Primary concern is the backing built into the wall. If I lower it 4-5" is there going to be anything to screw into?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

archbarb

I am "height challenged" so I get it! However, if you lower the cabinets, the window to the left of the sink is in the way! I have adapted to the height of the cabinets but if someone comes up with a good alternative ....I'm ther e!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My wife is vertically challenged, too, so we have one of these on hand. I even use it to get into the cabinets on the rear wall. You can probably find one at most home centers. Folded, it fits almost anywhere.

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CID=MKHomeandPets&SCID=MKImprovementsandCleaning&TCID=MKImprovementsandCleaningViewAll&ProductID=311826&SiteNum=0&sortBy=Popularity%20DESC&SourceCode=10652000001&Affid=12&PaidKeyword=folding%20step%20stool

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My wife is vertically challenged, too, so we have one of these on hand. I even use it to get into the cabinets on the rear wall. You can probably find one at most home centers. Folded, it fits almost anywhere.

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CID=MKHomeandPets&SCID=MKImprovementsandCleaning&TCID=MKImprovementsandCleaningViewAll&ProductID=311826&SiteNum=0&sortBy=Popularity%20DESC&SourceCode=10652000001&Affid=12&PaidKeyword=folding%20step%20stool

We have the same one - think we found it at Home Depot. It stores nicely in the drawers under the stairs of the new rigs, but is so small, it'll go almost anywhere.

PeternLiane

We use the same step stools. We bought them at camping world for 9 bucks. I always save money with the Member discount there. .

lew2885

Instead of moving the whole cabinet, consider adding space at the bottom to accommodate certain items. Store lightweight, seldom-used items on those upper shelves. I put mine in a box, and I can reach it and lift the box out and down.

Bob Vaughn

I have sat and looked at that space above the cabinets and wondered what I could put up there. I would not want to put something that I would need I am thinking something decorative. Not having a decorative cell in my brain I wonder what pretty thing would look good. My wife would call a dust collector. It just looks so bland up there.....

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347129168.808680.jpg

I added an artificial grapevine garland. It's held to the cabinet with "Command" adheasive clips, so it doesn't move. These type leaves have a "dusty" look to them anyway, so haven't really had to dust them.

Adds a bit of color and interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk