What to do when you have a roadside flat

Burtonair01

Hey all I'm a noob to this site so be gentle on me!, I just bought a 2011 Cyclone 3814. So I was loading all of my old trailer stuff into the new one and I came upon my jack for my other trailer, I'm looking at this thing and it scared me, there is no way I could use it to change a flat on my new rig(18000lbs gross weight). So my question is, what type of jack do you all use or have. Or should I just get me some AAA insurance and call for some roadside assistance if I get a flat?

Bksvo

I've used the bottle jack from my F350 before. If it will lift a fully loaded F350, it will have no problem with a trailer axle. I've also seen a drive up chock in the Camping World catalog - you drive the nearest good tire up on the chock to raise the trailer. They were about $50 IIRC. Or you could spend several thousand on an auto-leveling system that will raise the trailer for you :)

I'm planning on buying a tire pressure monitoring system for my new trailer, so hopefully I can avoid changing blow outs on the side of the road...

brianharrison

I carry a 12 ton bottle jack. And a tire wrench to fit the lugs. The wood blocking I carry for the trailer leveling/stabilizer jacks doubles as jacking blocks if needed.

I only jack on the frame, not axles.

Brian

rick_debbie_gallant

We carry a twenty ton unit. It is "air over hydraulic". Meaning that you can use an air compressor of the hydraulic handle to raise it. It works great, plus the second use could be as a boat anchor. :rolleyes:

GOTTOYS

I carry some warning triangles for the road, a hydraulic bottle jack, lug wrench, a set of sockets and a large breaker bar. Most important I carry a cell phone and a membership card for Roadside Assistance. I can change a tire if I have to, but I ain't getting any younger...Don

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We had our first flat last fall. Fortunately a good Samaritan pulled around to let me know I had a tire going soft and I got pulled over while it was still losing air. I keep a bottle jack, jack stands and the rest with me but I realized rather quickly that jacking from the frame using leveling blocks was probably not the best set up so, until I have our level up system installed I built these blocks. Stacked there is just enough room for the jack. We also invested in a tire monitoring system.

Attachments

• blocks.jpg
    blocks.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107

porthole

Retired
Hey all I'm a noob to this site so be gentle on me!, I just bought a 2011 Cyclone 3814. So I was loading all of my old trailer stuff into the new one and I came upon my jack for my other trailer, I'm looking at this thing and it scared me, there is no way I could use it to change a flat on my new rig(18000lbs gross weight). So my question is, what type of jack do you all use or have. Or should I just get me some AAA insurance and call for some roadside assistance if I get a flat?

Before I had the hydraulic LevelUp installed I carried a 20 ton bottle jack. I used a low profile version and have enough wood to start at a height I need.

20 ton jack is not over kill. Using that size makes jacking so much easier.

There are examples on this site of cradles folks have made to jack under the spring saddle at the axle. If you have leveling boards driving the good tires up on the boards decreases the amount of jacking you need for the flat.

Although some manufacturers recommended only jacking on the frame, you really need to give that some thought.
Frame only jacking means you are starting at a much higher off the ground orientation for the jack. It also means you are lifting at a very concentrated area of the frame and and you have to lift far enough to overcome the spring travel.

Unless you have some sort of cradle made for jacking the frame, you are exerting a tremendous load on a very narrow I-Beam. Very easy to slip off, bend the frame or both.

Your 18K trailer is designed to hold 9000 pounds per side and that is spread out over the length between the forward most and rear most shackles.
If you frame jack you are potentially trying to lift 9K at the jack point, and lifting high enough to overcome the springs and whatever sag you will be causing with the jack.

If you chose to jack at eh frame I would have on hand enough wood so you can form a "Crib" on at least one side of the jack. "Lift an inch - crib an inch" (1.5" if you use 2x4's)

If you jack at the axle you are potentially trying to overcome only 3k and you only have to lift far enough to clear the ground, you are not trying to make up for spring travel.

At least 4 good wheel chocks, I use the solid rubber version and I would leave the traielr attached to the truck. That would help keep it stabilized.

For on the road flat changes I now carry a 1/2" electric impact and impact sockets (truck and trailer), torque wrench, wheel chocks and I have a compressor on board the trailer. If possible i would fill the tire back up (if possible) if it would mean changing in a better location.

Before I hit he road though, I would invest in a tire pressure monitoring system. Mine saved me from possibly having a blow out by giving me enough warning to pull over safely and change a tire.

Having AAA is no guarantee your tire will be changed correctly either, you need to look and see how it is done, making sure they don't jack in the wrong location.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I gotta say..Duane (Porthole) gives some of the most logical and best advice on this forum. Thanks for all you do!...Don

Burtonair01

Man that was fast, thanks guys! So I will be buying a bottle jack and use my wood blocking, also make sure my lug wrench fits and I'm good to go. How much is a tire pressure monitoring gauge? Oh and I think I will also get the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance just for the heck of it.

Burtonair01

We had our first flat last fall. Fortunately a good Samaritan pulled around to let me know I had a tire going soft and I got pulled over while it was still losing air. I keep a bottle jack, jack stands and the rest with me but I realized rather quickly that jacking from the frame using leveling blocks was probably not the best set up so, until I have our level up system installed I built these blocks. Stacked there is just enough room for the jack. We also invested in a tire monitoring system.

Those are some really nice jack stands! I need some.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I have an 8ton bottle jack that has been sitting in the front basement area since I have the hydraulic system on the new trailer. I keep 2 stacks of the yellow lego blocks in case I need them for the rear stabilizers or if I ever needed them for jacking the trailer, you can make a makeshift ramp out of them to just pull one tire up on and it should lift the other tire off the ground enough to replace with an inflated tire.

I also have an electric impact drill and a long "breaker bar" just in case. I have a 150 psi pancake air compressor that I keep in the trailer adding pressure to the tires if needed or blowing up a dozen or so tubes when we go to the Guadalupe River twice a year so I could get a regular impact wrench but I just haven't decided to get one solely for the trailer yet.

I have the TST 507 tire monitoring system as well. During the day I'm always checking and my mirrors give me just enough view to see both tires on each side but at night it's a different story. TST recently added in-tire monitors complete with valve stem, so I am thinking once I upgrade to 19.5" wheels on my truck I will add these as well.
http://www.tsttruck.com/Product_List.html

wdk450

On this same subject I saw a TV ad tonight marketing Good Sam Emergency Road Service to the general public, saying it was not just for RVers.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the drive up ramp at CW is the same one I bought from Tweetys. DONT..I tried in the driveway. The one tire I tried it on would not lift the Horn high enough to free the other tire. The 2nd time I tried it....it would just slide on the concrete and crushed it. SO....now I'm out $65 and a have worthless piece of plastic. It was advertised to be the "super bippy..double throw down...end all" piece of "needed" equipment. Might work for a tent trailer?????

jbeletti

We passed a Sundance on the side of the road on the way to the GA rally last month. Figured out who it was, called them, then a couple of us went to help change a roadside rear axle flat. I had a crate of yellow lego-type leveling blocks with me. We cracked the lug nuts loose, made a ramp with the lego-blocks and carefully pulled the coach forward to allow the front axle tire to drive up the lego-block ramp. Stopped at the top, truck off, emergency brake on and it was just enough height to remove and replace the rear axle tire.

Of course, it helped that a GA State Trooper had stopped, which helped move traffic over a lane :)

Jim

GOTTOYS

If the drive up ramp at CW is the same one I bought from Tweetys. DONT..I tried in the driveway. The one tire I tried it on would not lift the Horn high enough to free the other tire. The 2nd time I tried it....it would just slide on the concrete and crushed it. SO....now I'm out $65 and a have worthless piece of plastic. It was advertised to be the "super bippy..double throw down...end all" piece of "needed" equipment. Might work for a tent trailer?????
Bob, call Roger, at Tweedys 800-358-5894, tell him what happened. He may just send you another or give you a credit. They're great to deal with. Besides, he's a Heartland owner now..Don