One hydraulic leg leaking down

soilmovers

2012 Bighorn 3685 6 months old

No visible leaks. We are parked on a level concrete surface. Legs were level and now (off door side) has leaked down about 2" in a week.

I do hear a popping sound off and on. Read a post that related this to weather. (?) We are in Texas 80 degree day, 70 night temps.

Any help is much appreciated as we cannot move this rig to a dealer for repairs.

thanks in advance.

lwmcguir

You either have a leaking valve or cylinder seal. We carry two jacks in case this happens to us. They are to use to stabilize the Coach so we can finish out a stay and could be used to hitch up if needed. Since it is a common valve it points to the cylinder seal on the side that is loosing pressure. It will have to be taken off and new seals installed.

jbeletti

Nick and Cindy,

I agree with Larry. Sounds like a seal leak in the cylinder (most likely). Contact Heartland Customer Service or even better, Lippert Customer Service. Both numbers are on the portal page on the left side. Have your VIN ready.

Jim

soilmovers

Nick and Cindy,

I agree with Larry. Sounds like a seal leak in the cylinder (most likely). Contact Heartland Customer Service or even better, Lippert Customer Service. Both numbers are on the portal page on the left side. Have your VIN ready.

Jim

Ok, will make the call.

thanks,

soilmovers

Let us know the outcome of your problem.
Don

Lippert suggested working the hydraulics up and down full cycles- many times. If there is air trapped this should help.

Will let you know if this solves the problem. They were very helpful.

wdk450

Cindy & Nick:
The "Popping Sound" thread had the name of the guy at Lippert who invented or is in charge of the hydraulic levelling systems.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Had similar problem with our 6 leg auto level up system within our first 6 months, also the front legs that would creep down. Problem as stated above was an internal leak past the seals. We had our front legs replaced by Lippert under warranty, took them (Ron) 30 minutes to change out and we were on our way. Doubt that working air out (if there is any) will fix your problem, internal leak past seals will leak air as well as hydraulic fluid. Plan on Lippert swapping out your offensive leaker. Carrying the portable bottle jacks to support the trailer worked for us until we had the legs replaced.

beuranb

We have a 2012 Key Largo and are on an extended stay (good paying, short time job) away from a dealer. We bought unit in jan 12 and have had several problems. We cannot do without it for several days at a dealership, because I have to work 7 days a week. How can I get it fixed where it is, without taking it 120 miles away to a dealership? Every problem is or should be under warranty. 3 leaking leveling legs, converter out, surround systems not working, water pump out, water piping criss-crossed, awning motor burned out (used only 3 times). Little things, but very aggreavating.

jimtoo

Hi beuranb,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030,, 877-262-8032. Explain your problem and ask if they have worked with an independent shop or repair person in your area. Heartland works with a lot of independents. They most likely will not pay for road service, but maybe will give you a hand with an independent shop.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

rgwilliams69

Had similar problem with our 6 leg auto level up system within our first 6 months, also the front legs that would creep down. Problem as stated above was an internal leak past the seals. We had our front legs replaced by Lippert under warranty, took them (Ron) 30 minutes to change out and we were on our way. Doubt that working air out (if there is any) will fix your problem, internal leak past seals will leak air as well as hydraulic fluid. Plan on Lippert swapping out your offensive leaker. Carrying the portable bottle jacks to support the trailer worked for us until we had the legs replaced.

Hi Eric! What kind of bottle jacks do you carry? We have our first unit with hydraulic front jacks and are wondering if this is something we should put on our "emergency nice to have list". Thanks in advance!

caissiel

That is why I will never have hydraulic landing jacks. From experience in the industry they need to be used and stationary it will harden the rubber seals. Any speck of dirt will cause leakdown and our hydraulic system have no filters and due to flow impossible to filter the oil on Jack application. MH have wheels to backup the jacks. 5th has nothing. When using H jacks in the shop we need to use jackstands so that's my reasons to favour the screw jacks.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

rgwilliams69

We are pretty much on the move constantly (race track to race track every night, or every few nights) so using them frequently is not a problem. I must say that I absolutely love how these things work. Fast, strong, don't have to worry about pins/adjustment legs, automatically level side to side, easy and quick adjust, etc. I would think that with the incredible amount of hydraulic use under much more difficult circumstances on heavy equipment that if they don't have this right yet, they will be getting there. Having hydraulic slides and front jacks - I would (will) never go back, unless they stop offering them. Only thing that kept me from getting the 6 point level up right off the bat was reported problems with the master computer which I am sure they will work out eventually.

That being said I am president of the "just in case" club and like to be prepared, so those bottle jacks sound intriguing. Need some specs though on what to get if anyone would care to share. Having 2 plans is always better than having 1 plan and no alternative.

Cheers!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In the past I have had my electric landing gear fail.
I had a 6 ton and 20 ton bottle jack along.
They both worked for lifting the front of the trailer to hitch and unhitch, although I had to use some blocking for height.
I prefer the 20 ton as it lifts easier and requires less blocking.
So if you are looking for a backup, either will work with the correct amount of blocking to reach the dropped frame.
I now have the Level Up and will never go back to electric.

Peace
Dave

scottyb

I cary a Torin 20T. I bought it at Northern Tool. $45.

I also have fears of hydrailic leakage. I know how hydralic cylinders can be on heavy equipment. They all leak after the new wears off. Does anybody know how much it cost to add Level Up to a rig that already has hydraulic landing gear? I suppose you only add the middle cylinders and integrate with the front landing gear?