electric hot water issue

I recently had the electric on my hot water heater stop working. I have replaced the element but I am still not getting any hot water when on electric. My Grand Canyon has two switches, one on the outside by the heater and a second on on the control panel. Can anyone advise if these switched operate independent of each other? It seems redundant to have two but if the switch in the control panel is off does that shut off power to the heater regardless of the switch on the outside?

Urban350

If I am right, going by my last few trailers, the Cyclone only has 1 switch, the inside one will turn the power of to the hot water tank completly. One switch should be 110v inside and the other should be 12v.

danemayer

Both switches have to be on for the water heater to turn on the electric element. Think of the outside switch as a safety lockout so if someone flips the inside switch by mistake when your water heater doesn't have water in it, you don't burn up the element.

PeternLiane

Again some good information. My SOB trailer only had a gas water heater. This is our first water heater with gas and electric. I never knew that the water heater could have two switches. I'll have to look closer at it on Saturday. thank you for the information.

57chevyconvt

There is a control module that sits atop of the hot water heater that controls the LP gas heater, this is activated by the lighted switch on the tank level monitor panel. The other inside toggle switch controls the 110 AC volts to the heating elements. The outside switch is a 110 volt off/on switch as previously noted by Tim (Urban350). If you don't have the Installation and Operating Manual for the Suburban or Atwood HW heater, go to the respective manufactures website and down load the manual. I assume that you have pushed the reset button on the element T-stat, this is a High Temp cut out for the electric element.

wdk450

Again some good information. My SOB trailer only had a gas water heater. This is our first water heater with gas and electric. I never knew that the water heater could have two switches. I'll have to look closer at it on Saturday. thank you for the information.

Actually, you have 3 water heater switches. 1 in the control panel area with a red switch handle for AC power of the heater, 1 in the middle of the tank monitor panel for the gas operation of the water heater, and the small black switch outside in the water heater access panel, secondary A.C. element switch.