Audit Bay at Heartland!

ihsolutions

Some of you who scan through the Heartland Highlights newsletter, like I do, may have missed this.

Heartland has hired a Director of Quality Control and set up an audit bay where 4 units per day will be put through a full PDI to detect problems in the manufacturing process, so that they may be identified and corrected.

This is AWESOME and something I've been advocating ever since taking delivery of my coach in this post.

Kudos to Heartland for taking this step. I really believe it will pay for itself in reduced warranty costs, but more importantly, a MUCH better perception of quality by the end buyer. As a customer I can't say how important that is in my decision to buy another Heartland product or not.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I just noticed it too!! GREAT decision by Heartland to become preemptive on quality control. Just hope that when the use this bay, they will bring in units from different points on the line so they can find things before they are covered up later on down the line...that would have saved us a HUGE headache when we first bought our BH.:)

wdk450

From recent (and ongoing ) posts, I would suggest to Heartland Q.A. to be sure to check the CORRECT connection of the coaxial TV/Satellite cabling, and test its FUNCTIONALITY.
Maybe marking the cable ends BEFORE they are installed, would help both the final assemblers and the owners down the road.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
An excellent idea, random final inspection! Pulling rigs from the assembly stages would result in a major production hiccup, though. Not to mention the logistics of moving them around out of sequence. My suggestion would be checklists and sign-offs at each assembly stage that accompany the rigs down the line and become part of the rig's owner packet and a copy maintained in HL's files. The final audit for that would be to check that all items have been signed off before releasing the rig. And severe consequences for pencil-whipping.

kakampers

An excellent idea, random final inspection! Pulling rigs from the assembly stages would result in a major production hiccup, though. Not to mention the logistics of moving them around out of sequence. My suggestion would be checklists and sign-offs at each assembly stage that accompany the rigs down the line and become part of the rig's owner packet and a copy maintained in HL's files. The final audit for that would be to check that all items have been signed off before releasing the rig. And severe consequences for pencil-whipping.

That sounds like a really good way to maintain quality control throughout the entire production line, with least amount of disruption!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Glad to see that Heartland is taking an extra mile to help make sure that quality is there. Two Big Thumbs-UP:eek:.

donr827

That would increase Heartland's reputation. It should also include water connections. The employee that did my PDI at Lazydays said they were told to spend more attention on possible leaks because Heartland trailers were known for having this problem.
Don

DMitch

Great move, someone finally figured out that warranty work from poor quality control is expensive in both cash and reputation. Cudo's to heartland.

Bob Vaughn

When I was in the Navy we actually had QC inspectors that observed from start to finish when a plane went in for overhauls. I think it might be a little late to catch some things once everything is finished. A Case in point the central vacuum in our BC had not even been plugged in and the basement wall was installed. Some things just would not be caught until the unit was transported and used....

danemayer

This is a great move.

Another methodical way to improve quality is to analyze warranty claims data and quickly research frequent failures so corrective action can be taken to stop repeating the mistake.

Rickhansen

I believe that this is a good undertaking and MIGHT well lead to better quality control, but I am also a bit of a skeptic.

I would think Heartland already has years of data accumulated through warranty claims and service reports that have come in. In those reports there is certainly a write-up of the problem, a bill of materials, and a list of labor charge from the dealer or approved service center. A good bit of the major repairs are even done at the factory. A bit of data entry and statistical analysis could yield them much of the same information as their new random inspection process will, and with less costs as the inspection process still will have to be documented and analyzed.

Another great and underutilized source of feedback to the factory is on the Heartland Owners Forum and in their presence at the Heartland Rallies. We all know that the factory monitors this site, and Jim Belletti has represented the owners collectively to the factory for issues, facilitation of repairs, and marketing/design feedback. But we all have seen design and construction issues that have have not been changed despite this information being available year after year, like refrigerators in slides that operate poorly, A/C airflow and noise, tires, axle and spring problems, the mess behind the wall, and list continues.

Granted, many of us owners have performed our minor cosmetic warranty repairs, or even major repairs on our own, outside of the warranty claims process. These could not be tabulated in that manner, but are probably are as representative of the manufacturing problems as a random inspection could be.

I would like to see Heartland take a more involved role in warranty issues with the third-party components of their products. Aside from the structure, probably 3/4's or more of our rigs are not of Heartland's manufacture. A/C's, furnaces, toilets, refrigerators, axles, (on and on) are purchased by Heartland and assembled. The warranty for these items are referred directly to the manufacturers like Lippert, Sealand, Suburban, Atwood, Flair and Dometic that are not currently tracked. I understand that this can add costs to Heartlands current business model, but the value is that Heartland can choose their suppliers and leverage them in the interest of the consumer. When there are issues with these components, Heartland gets a share of the reputation. Other than tires, vehicle manufacturers have full warranty liability for the vehicles that they sell. That would provide us with one face for the brand, instead of a list of 800 numbers.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think Heartland builds a great value rig that is competitive in all aspects of design, quality,and workmanship with any comparable rigs in the marketspace and similar pricepoints. I would even venture to say that they fare better than the higher-end rigs. I do not have any complaints with Heartland or their (my) product. My rig has never given us any major heartaches or had any warranty service. That says a lot after four and half years (very low miles) of full-time use.

Hopefully, this will be one more proactive step in gathering data to improve both their design and manufacturing processes. The 'teeth' in it isn't in gathering the data, but what changes are affected by it.

I appreciate having the Owner's Forum as a place to express this opinion. Thanks for listening.

jbeletti

Heartland product owners and prospective owners,

As many of you have already read in this thread, Heartland has instituted a new QC and Audit program that is more rigorous than what we've used in the past.

On the production line of each plant, there are several QC managers and systems testers, inspecting processes and systems as the coaches are assembled. The QC Director also walks each plant personally, each week.

Several completed units are randomly pulled from plants each work day and are thoroughly audited.

Highlights of this audit include:

• Full rain bay testing for water leaks
  • Seal Tech testing for air/water leaks
  • RVIA code compliance inspection
  • Full cosmetic inspection
  • Full systems check
During the above processes, utility walls are removed, switch panels and more are removed. All in an effort to inspect and test each audit unit as thoroughly as possible.

Audit coaches are marked up and returned to the their respective assembly plants where they are reviewed and re-completed. Immediate changes are implemented to the production line as required and meetings are held with team leaders as warranted.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Heartland product owners and prospective owners,

As many of you have already read in this thread, Heartland has instituted a new QC and Audit program that is more rigorous than what we've used in the past.

On the production line of each plant, there are several QC managers and systems testers, inspecting processes and systems as the coaches are assembled. The QC Director also walks each plant personally, each week.

Several completed units are randomly pulled from plants each work day and are thoroughly audited.

Highlights of this audit include:

• Full rain bay testing for water leaks
  • Seal Tech testing for air/water leaks
  • RVIA code compliance inspection
  • Full cosmetic inspection
  • Full systems check
During the above processes, utility walls are removed, switch panels and more are removed. All in an effort to inspect and test each audit unit as thoroughly as possible.

Audit coaches are marked up and returned to the their respective assembly plants where they are reviewed and re-completed. Immediate changes are implemented to the production line as required and meetings are held with team leaders as warranted.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Jim

Jim,
You failed to mention what happens to the installer who is responsible for the mistake. I would like to think the installer's supervisor would be informed of any of their subordinates shortcomings in work quality. Then when there is a consistant issue with that worker they would either be terminated or retrained. Seems to me that when a consistant failure on the same line (such as constant failure of coax ends) then there is either a failure of the individual installer or the procedure used to do the installation. Hopefully these issues will be looked at as I am sure they will. I would also think another thing a Quality Control team would do is take "undercover" tours of other manufacturer factories to see what kind of processes they use. This would be a learning process where changes would be made to further improve Heartland's process. We all know there are many ways to get from point A to point B and not all or good or bad and some are better than others. Some cost more and some don't.

JohnDar

Well, I for one am happy that HL now has (or has improved) a QC process to check their product as much as possible. Will they be able to catch every flaw, probably not, but if they couple their work with the input from owners, they might get the vast majority of them.

If we ever decide to replace our 3670 with another towable rig, it will undoubtedly be another Heartland. But unless lightning strikes it and blows it to smithereens, we're keeping this one.

kakampers

Jim G...no company will ever publicly discuss it's employee discipline process....that, as it should be is between employer and employee.

I, for one, am extremely happy with this new QC process...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Well, I for one am happy that HL now has (or has improved) a QC process to check their product as much as possible. Will they be able to catch every flaw, probably not, but if they couple their work with the input from owners, they might get the vast majority of them.

If we ever decide to replace our 3670 with another towable rig, it will undoubtedly be another Heartland. But unless lightning strikes it and blows it to smithereens, we're keeping this one.

You haven't met Lance, have you?

JohnDar

This is a great move.

Another methodical way to improve quality is to analyze warranty claims data and quickly research frequent failures so corrective action can be taken to stop repeating the mistake.

Similar to what our Reliability Dept. did back at the former Cadillac Motor Car Division. I got involved when laboratory analyses were needed. Almost "CSI-Automotive" at times.