Exterior Speakers Leaking

Liesl_s

We have discovered a major problem with our brand new Cyclone 3912. Upon taking it out camping for the 1st time, we noticed that the marine speakers (exterior ones) are leaking into the camper on the inside! I opened the corner cabinet near the cargo door to straighten a picture that fell during transport only to discover that the top shelf was not only wet and wrapped but also green with mildew! I checked the other shelves below it and they are all damaged and warped from the water leaking, all the way to the floor, where the bottom of this cabinet is also warped.

My husband checked the area around this speaker (the back of it is covered with a black box that is inside the corner unit) and found that the seal is water tight. The leaking is coming directly from the speaker itself, which is supposed to be a marine speaker and therefore water tight.

I checked the other speaker, the back of which is in the TV cabinet in the bedroom, and it is leaking as well and has damaged and mildewed the TV cabinet. Since it has been raining here, we have been able to actually watch the water come in the camper from the speakers. Until we can get the unit in to be looked at, Tommy has taped plastic over the speakers outside to prevent any further water from coming in. It is still raining off an on, so we have now been able to stop water from coming into the unit for now.

My main concern at this time is a solution to the problem. Since it is the speakers that are leaking and not the seal, replacing them will do no good at all, since I know the new speakers will leak as well. In addition, we need a new TV cabinet, as well as the corner unit that are both damaged beyond repair. Of course, we have no idea about what kind of damage has been done to areas we can't see, like the walls or the floors.

Are these outside marine speakers a new feature on the the '08 models? I don't believe the problem can be blamed on a defective speaker, since they are both doing the same thing. I'm really concerned at this point on how the dealership and Heartland are going to fix the damage to our unit.

jbeletti

Liesl_s,

This is the first I have heard of leaking speakers but I understand that it could happen. I suppose if the cone or surround was damaged, the seal there would be broken allowing water to leak through to the back side of the speaker and into the cavity containing the speaker.

Sorry this has happened. Please contact your dealer first thing Monday morning. You may also wish to contact Heartland's Customer Service Department (574-262-8030) to give them a heads-up as to what has happened so they have a record of it and let them know that you are contacting your dealer to get it in for damage assesment.

Heartland will surely wish to make this right for you.

Jim

Liesl_s

We have since checked the two rear speakers (over the cargo door) and they appear the be leaking as well. The wood on the inside of the cargo area at the top is warped, the paper is peeling off and there is rusting on the metal piece that is under the edge of the wood on the inside of the cargo area (where the screen door is attached). This leads me to believe that all walls near these four speakers has been damaged internally as well, if this is the damage that we are seeing on the inside. I will certainly contact the dealer tomorrow, and Heartland as well. I'll keep everyone posted.

Liesl_s

Well, we have figured out what the problem is that caused the speakers to leak. I'll try and explain as best as a non-mechanical woman can. :)

There are weep holes on the sides of the speakers. When they were installed instead of caulking them inside this weep hole, and therefore allowing the water to drain to the outside, they were caulked covering up this weep hole, which caused them to leak to the inside of the camper.

Since the dealer couldn't get to our unit to make the fix before we left for vacation, we made the repairs ourselves, out of necessity (or at least Tommy did the repairs. I just watched!)

I'm still waiting to hear from someone at Heartland - I'll try contacting them again today. We still need to talk with them to get the corner cabinet and the TV cabinet in the bedroom replaced, as they are both damaged beyond repair. There was no damage done to the walls, but we still don't know if there is damage to the floor under the corner cabinet. Once they remove the damaged one we can take a look under the carpet and see.

It would have been nice to hear form Heartland by now. I made my first contact a week ago and still haven't spoke to anyone.

Sol

Liesl_s said:
It would have been nice to hear form Heartland by now. I made my first contact a week ago and still haven't spoke to anyone.

Scott did make this statement in one of his postings last week - "The guys are on July 4th break this week so I can't get you a definite answer." So perhaps that could explain the delay. Give them another call though if you don't hear back in the next day or so.

Sorry for your troubles, but thank you for sharing with us all. We'll be sure to check our exterior speakers as a precaution.

Liesl_s

We have been contacted by someone at Heartland and they will be contacting our dealership to get repairs made. Now that the speakers are not leaking any more, we are good to go on vacation and will get the cabinets replaced sometime after we return. Just wanted to give a positive update!

lvfun

Cyclone 4012 Owner
Leaking Speakers in Cabintts

I have the same problem. Our unit is a brand new 08 4012. I went to put a tv in the cabinet and noticed the bottom of the tv cabinet was warping.

What exactly did you do to repair this?

jpmorgan37

lvfun;

Read post #4 above for the answer to the speakers leaking, if that's what your problem is.

John

jimbb732

Are the weep holes in the bottom of the speaker cover??? A pic would be great if anybody can supply one without the caulk.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmorgan37

The weep holes are in the bottom of the speaker cover and should be visible without removing the caulk. If they are not, a small 1/16" hole drilled into the bottom of the cover will resolve any moisture accumulation without disturbing the speaker or the seal.

John

jpmorgan37

Been around a long time Lefty. Sometimes what I did 50 years ago still works today. Thanks for the compliment. We all need one, once in a while.

J. P.

Liesl_s

Here's Tommy's method for solving the problem. Remove the speaker. Caulk behind the speaker, then reinstall the speaker. And yes, the weep holes are at the bottom. Simply unclogging the weep hole will not completely solve the problem. They need to be removed, caulked & put back in, because there are weep holes behind the speakers and these are the ones allowing water to drain into the RV. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you need more information.